Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

My MAG Impressions: Not as bad as I thought.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheMustacheHero

So I finally downloaded the MAG beta. Coming into it I had only seen gameplay videos of MAG. I noticed mixed reactions from these forum goers and decided to let myself have my own opinion on the game without being persuaded by one side or the other. My first character was in Raven. I was surprised I could customize my player from my head to my voice and customize my load out. At this point, it wasn't so bad. I start up my first match of sabotage and go into an attack and defend map; We're attacking. Not many people in my squad were using mics, but It's PS3 so I wasn't expecting anyone to. The shooting seems OK, but the sudden ironsights mode is kind of offputting but also not as bad as say...Battlefield 2. After running around shooting dudes and not doing the objective, I finally get the hang of the controls. At this point my team has captured the first 2 objectives and I run towards the third. I get shot in the face and start the timer to respawn and....BOOM! It shows a plane flying across the map and then guys jump out with...

PARACHUTES!!! WTF?! AWESOME! Seriously I think this one of the best parts of the game.
    After winning my first match I gained a level and earned a skill point, once again I had no idea that this game was so...customizable. I think earning these skill points really adds a new goal to the over-all experience. Because I only watched gameplay videos I thought it was just 3 classes and then you just shot guys and leveled up just to gain ranks.

I haven't experienced any vehicles yet, but I have played all 3 factions and can come up with these conclusions.

Valor sucks. 

They're generic army get-ups and weapons were uninteresting. The reloading animations and grenade toss animations suck.
    Sver has the best UI. 
    They're UI really pops, it gave a good contrast to the mostly dull environments and their damaged weapons were nice looking. Only problem with Sver was that the reload animation for the light machine gun is a little messed when he takes the mag out.
    Raven has the best animations and team.
    A lot of people were playing Raven because they look the coolest and, in my opinion, also have the most fluid animations for each of their weapons.

Final thoughts on the beta:
     I liked this beta more than Bad Company 2. I had a negative look on the game when entering, but as I left I considered it being a purchase, where as when I left BC2 beta I realized I wasn't going to get this game. I liked the leveling up, and the objectives were easy, the customization was a nice touch and the scale was large. I can see this being a really fun game when it's released this month.

Thanks for reading :3

Closing note: The only reason I wrote this was because I said all those nasty things on the forums about this game without playing this...and the servers are down right now so I can't play more T_T

VashTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By VashTS

I totally agree that the instant iron sights is wierd.  I am a bit surprised you didn't mention the recoil of all the guns though.  The recoil in this game feels rediculously low to me!  People can hold down the trigger from very far away and score headshots with ease.  Im not sure if anyone else agrees, but the recoil needs to be far more so you have to burst with an AR or LMG.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @VashTS said:
    "

I totally agree that the instant iron sights is wierd.  I am a bit surprised you didn't mention the recoil of all the guns though.  The recoil in this game feels rediculously low to me!  People can hold down the trigger from very far away and score headshots with ease.  Im not sure if anyone else agrees, but the recoil needs to be far more so you have to burst with an AR or LMG.

"
    Yeah, but to me that's not a bad thing :P
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon
    @VashTS: That depends on the gun. I've found the LMG (well, at least on the S.V.E.R. side, as that's all I've played) is more for suppressive fire than anything as it should be.
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shinri

So when does the open beta end? Is it available on all the playstation stores or just NA?
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Shinri said:
    " So when does the open beta end? Is it available on all the playstation stores or just NA? "
    Beta ends tonight I believe...and I don't know about any other continents.
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shinri
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Shinri said:
    " So when does the open beta end? Is it available on all the playstation stores or just NA? "
    Beta ends tonight I believe...and I don't know about any other continents. "

I actually just remembered to use my googlefu and apparently it ends on the 11th at 7.59PM GMT, so I assume it's on the EU one too. 

Thanks anyway
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Shinri said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Shinri said:
    Beta ends tonight I believe...and I don't know about any other continents. "
    I actually just remembered to use my googlefu and apparently it ends on the 11th at 7.59PM GMT, so I assume it's on the EU one too.  Thanks anyway "
    Oh snap, well then I was told wrong! Curses!!
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
    @TheMustacheHero: Thanks for the heads up on the other factions. Still going to roll Raven. Full stop. Do you reckon, once you've made your choice they'll try and lure you into other factions with rewards and stuff? That would be really awesome, because the game is very contractual. For example - when you lose a battle one quote is, "Our shareholders aren't going to like this."

Would be really neat if "rising stars" and "top players" were recruited to other factions with say, XP rewards or whatever.

Awesome that you tried it and glad you like it. I can't wait for release now.

Totally agree with you on the animations though. I wish there was hope of them fixing that ahead of release but it looks like that's it now.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @get2sammyb: Yeah I watched an interview saying that you won't be able to change your faction when you first start out but later on you will be able to....Perhaps with rewards >_>.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By get2sammyb
    @TheMustacheHero: That's exactly how it should be. I don't know much about the actual "meta-game" in MAG, but there seems like they have potential to do lots of cool stuff outside of the game.

They created Facebook pages for all three factions earlier.
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " So I finally downloaded the MAG beta. Coming into it I had only seen gameplay videos of MAG. I noticed mixed reactions from these forum goers and decided to let myself have my own opinion on the game without being persuaded by one side or the other. My first character was in Raven. I was surprised I could customize my player from my head to my voice and customize my load out. At this point, it wasn't so bad. I start up my first match of sabotage and go into an attack and defend map; We're attacking. Not many people in my squad were using mics, but It's PS3 so I wasn't expecting anyone to. The shooting seems OK, but the sudden ironsights mode is kind of offputting but also not as bad as say...Battlefield 2. After running around shooting dudes and not doing the objective, I finally get the hang of the controls. At this point my team has captured the first 2 objectives and I run towards the third. I get shot in the face and start the timer to respawn and....BOOM! It shows a plane flying across the map and then guys jump out with...

PARACHUTES!!! WTF?! AWESOME! Seriously I think this one of the best parts of the game.
    After winning my first match I gained a level and earned a skill point, once again I had no idea that this game was so...customizable. I think earning these skill points really adds a new goal to the over-all experience. Because I only watched gameplay videos I thought it was just 3 classes and then you just shot guys and leveled up just to gain ranks.

I haven't experienced any vehicles yet, but I have played all 3 factions and can come up with these conclusions.

Valor sucks. 

They're generic army get-ups and weapons were uninteresting. The reloading animations and grenade toss animations suck.
    Sver has the best UI. 
    They're UI really pops, it gave a good contrast to the mostly dull environments and their damaged weapons were nice looking. Only problem with Sver was that the reload animation for the light machine gun is a little messed when he takes the mag out.
    Raven has the best animations and team.
    A lot of people were playing Raven because they look the coolest and, in my opinion, also have the most fluid animations for each of their weapons.

Final thoughts on the beta:  I liked this beta more than Bad Company 2. I had a negative look on the game when entering, but as I left I considered it being a purchase, where as when I left BC2 beta I realized I wasn't going to get this game. I liked the leveling up, and the objectives were easy, the customization was a nice touch and the scale was large. I can see this being a really fun game when it's released this month.  Thanks for reading :3  Closing note: The only reason I wrote this was because I said all those nasty things on the forums about this game without playing this...and the servers are down right now so I can't play more T_T "
    Was this before or after your posts against me claiming MAG has bad graphics?
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @ReaperOfLiving: What? I've always thought MAG had bad graphics and still do.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm looking forward to this, I was ready to play the beta, but dragon age didn't allow me to . . . 
    I'll wait for reviews tho

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @ReaperOfLiving: What? I've always thought MAG had bad graphics and still do. "
    But was this before or after you actually played the game? 
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @ReaperOfLiving: Before, hence the ALWAYS part.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By SSully

I hated the game from my experience from the first two betas, but after the recent public beta i am sold. There were a ton of improvements, and since the beta has ended its been hard for me to go back and play others shooters, they feel very dull. I cant wait for the full game now. And i agree, the graphics are weak, but the gameplay makes up for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.