Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

Snipers are going to dominate :(

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mrfizzy

From the games iv played so far (only a few i will admit) i get the feeling that once people get pro at sniping the rest of us are screwed. Was just playing on Sabotage on a map with lots of open space and high points, i swear at least half my deaths were from a sniper i couldnt see because he was so far a way.  I mean, how are you meant to counter that?  

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Castiel

Stop whining!

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Rayfield

Great thread.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mrfizzy
    @Castiel: NEVER!
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

Without trying to sound like the stereotypical internet dickhead, that is the entire point of sniping. Shoot the target from afar without being seen.

My only advice is do what I've been doing, run between whatever cover you can find and continually stay Oscar Mike aka on the move!

I'm not a brilliant sniper in MAG, something feels off about the shooting, but I have to say targets that are continually running around and going in and out of cover behind objects in the game world are much more harder to hit than people running in a straight line bypassing cover.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By bjorno

work as a group and use cover to your advantage.

unreal999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By unreal999
    @bjorno said:
    " work as a group and use cover to your advantage. "
    This. Besides snipers are good but there are ways to counter them.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emkeighcameron
    Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kiemoe
    @Hamz: I dunno if I played with you or not, but I've played MAG matches with 2 different guys with Hamz in their name, and every time I thought of you. Weird! (But not really I suppose) 

Anyways, on topic, I would say hope for Snipers on your team to counteract them and distract them? I would say that is how you beat snipers.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mrfizzy

Yeah, guess all that you can do is to try and stick behind cover and sprint where you can. Thanks. 

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hamz
    @Kiemoe: My PSN ID is TheGreatHamzini so everyone else out there with Hamz in their name isn't me! :)
    Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kiemoe
    @Hamz: Aw, man I guess I wasn't playing with you. I thought I was playing with a celebrity haha
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By TheHBK

Be Oscar Mike at all times.  Remember, this is the MASSIVE ACTION GAME, so there will be more ways for you to die.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By h0lgr

Smoke nades. You spawn off with 2 of em if you choose. Awesome temporary cover, for example crossing a large road.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By xyzygy
    @unreal999 said:
    " @bjorno said:
    " work as a group and use cover to your advantage. "
    This. Besides snipers are good but there are ways to counter them. "
    Another sniper?
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

1. anti snipers 
    2.if your getting killed that much then your not doing very well let alone the fact that bunkers destroy snipers if they come out in the open in the least.
    3.snipers will rarely shoot you in concetrated combat with others on their team.
    4.smoke
    5.really snipers aren't that bad in this game, i had a sniper build and traded it for an assault build cause assault is the way to go.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By get2sammyb

You can also use cover fire. Get two of your squad mates to fire on the general area snipers are hiding, make them bail back, and then leg it through the area they had covered. It was a tactic working for me last night.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lowbrow
    @mrfizzy said:

" From the games iv played so far (only a few i will admit) i get the feeling that once people get pro at sniping the rest of us are screwed. Was just playing on Sabotage on a map with lots of open space and high points, i swear at least half my deaths were from a sniper i couldnt see because he was so far a way.  I mean, how are you meant to counter that?   "

Close in on the snipers. 

If you are not moving, you better be behind cover. If you are moving, it better be to another piece of cover. Move quick from cover spot to cover spot, and close in on the enemy. Trying to play a snipers game with a shotgun is obviously going to be end badly for you. But if you stick with your team, you can force the sniper to play your game instead.
    Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Daryl

Don't be an idiot. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Rhaknar

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/1/6/

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

Only way to kill a Sniper is to get close to him without being shot before hand, or get lucky and catch him reloading.  You could move with several people and hope he picks them off instead of you? :P

aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By aerious

I remember the days of new players thinking snipers in counter-strike were unbalanced and dominated the game, they were wrong, theres always a way to counteract snipers,I recommend  flanking followed by a large knife to their throat.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Donos

Having played mostly as a sniper, I found they were actually pretty well balanced out. The thing is, if you find a good hidden position, you can rack up plenty of kills no problem. However, the moment someone figures out where you are, your guaranteed dead. 

It works because (from what I saw) sniper rifles are weak and inaccurate enough that snipers will usually lose a shootout. Plenty of times, I'd shoot someone once at maybe 100m away, they'd dive to the ground and instakill me with an assault rifle before I could do anything. Also, the maps are large enough that you can usually flank out anyone, anywhere.  Maybe I'm just bad with sniper rifles, but I dont think so. When I switched to assault rifles, I was able to flush out sniper nests pretty regularly.  Smoke grenades. Use em.

Btw, why the heck do sniper rounds not land where the crosshairs are on consecutive shots? Sure, theres recoil, but that should move the sights around equally. The sights are attached to the gun, arent they?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.