Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mario Party

Franchise »

Mario Party is a collection of mini-games played with a variety of iconic Nintendo characters. They are notable for being games of skill.

Should the Bombcrew do another Mario Party Party?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll Should the Bombcrew do another Mario Party Party? (1586 votes)

Totally! The salt and frustration is what makes the feature. 50%
    Not really. The tension and the sense of tedium among the crew has already worn out as a fun to watch element and will only make the next MPPs more frustrating to play and less entertaining to watch. 22%
    Yes, but maybe be more selective about which MPs are played (they get better!), or wait for Mario Party 10 8%
    Yes, but spruce it up with a drinking game or some additional mechanic so everyone but Dan will not die of despair 16%
    Other motherfucker! 6%
     • 
    btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@feanor: Nah, its all about the Schadenfreude

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethphotopoulos: Dan thought it'd be funny or something. The rest probably didn't realize how long that would actually take.

Mario Party is terrible. I don't know how they've managed to make ten of these damn things.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Less turns prehaps

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@sethphotopoulos: Dan thought it'd be funny or something. The rest probably didn't realize how long that would actually take.

Mario Party is terrible. I don't know how they've managed to make ten of these damn things.

Mario Party 2 was the shit. So were 4 and 5.

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By kewlsnake

I watched the stream yesterday for a bit, went to sleep, came back and fast forwarded to the end where everyone is sad and miserable. I didn't get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Drew was hardly responsive. Jeff just got up and left at the end. If the crew wants to go through with this, please take the time to pick a fun board. I didn't like this one, mainly because of the arrows that can change direction. It looked very confusing.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warpig87 said:

Also Jesus people are reading too much into this. They're grown men, and it's a dumb game. They're not going to snap.

Happens a lot more than it should around here.

"GUYS BRAD SAID SOMETHING MEAN TO DAN WHILE THEY WERE PLAYING TETRIS. I WISH THEY WOULDN'T PLAY TETRIS ANYMORE BECAUSE IT MAKES BRAD HATE DAN"

"GUYS THE BOMBCAST WAS SO AWKWARD THIS WEEK. BRAD AND JEFF SHOULD BE NICER TO EACH OTHER INSTEAD OF GETTING MAD ABOUT 'LEFT TRIGGER RIGHT TRIGGER' SHOOTERS. I DON'T WANT THE BOMB CREW TO BREAK UP"

Reading social cues is sometimes not the forte of a portion of people who might be frequenting a video game forum, I guess. I don't mean to offend; just an observation.

The bottom line is that they're only going to do things that they're comfortable with and agree with each other about doing; if they want to stop, they will.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely, the games get really good later on. Plus watching Jeff suffer makes my day.

Mainwaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally, but if the other games continue to add extra nonsense then I think the turn count is gonna have to be turned down a bit. 4 hours was a bit much.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feanor said:

I think the only people who want more of this are the members who have reached a boy band level obsessed with the staff. They'll pay 5 bucks a month to watch Brad sleep.

You think wrong, then. It's more of a "some people like Giant Bomb's style of humor, and will watch the content that provides said humor" situation.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed the first 3, but if they continue with the series, it'd be cool to see them change up the formula a bit. Maybe get some new people in. They've wrung all the humor they're going to get out of everyone but dan being completely miserable. An episode with Dan, Danny, Mary and someone else would be pretty great.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, they should move to something else, Only Dan seems to be enjoying them. Also, while I have watched all 3 and enjoyed them, I was also doing something else at the time because those games are not very interesting turn by turn.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously, why are all you guys acting like psychologists? Holy shit. The whole point of the feature was that Dan wanted to do it while no one else did. Of course they're not enjoying it, they knew going on they wouldn't enjoy it. No one's going to break or snap, not everyone is emotionally unstable, you know.

SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SuperFusion

@baillie: It's just that in the first two, Drew, Brad and Jeff seemed to care about it slightly more than this one which made them fun to watch. In this one everyone but Dan just wanted to get the fuck out of there as quickly as possible. It's no fun when everyone but Dan ACTUALLY doesn't care about the outcome of the game. It just makes it really sad to watch at that point. I wouldn't go as far as to say they'd snap or something, it just made things boring as fuck for them and for the viewers.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By singular

That reminded me of the time when Jeff pushed Game Room on to all others. No he's at the receiving end of something similar. Karma ;)

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superfusion: Considering everyone seemed to enjoy the first two, I think it's just indicative that Mario Party 3 is a fucking awful game.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By Sessh

These come all 3 or 4 months right now, so they'll be okay. (Also come on people, this is not a serious issue.)

Anyways yes, I want to see them play them all eventually, again with the highest turn count (except if the upcoming games really are going even slower than MP3, then fuck no to 50 turns.)

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, they should do one every day. Forever.

This is your life now bombcrew.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feanor said:

I think the only people who want more of this are the members who have reached a boy band level obsessed with the staff. They'll pay 5 bucks a month to watch Brad sleep.

That doesn't make any sense.

As for the OP's question: Yes, but wait a couple of months.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AMyggen

Well, like, what else are they gonna do?

Dan gets props for at least putting forward an idea which made it into a feature - a feature that they've actually stuck with (much like Metal Gear Scanlon).

If nobody else comes up with something "better" then let them continue to host a monthly Mario Party Party.

The only thing that should displace this is something better, not the alternative of nothing at all!

EDIT: voted the fourth option, maybe some directed discussion ala podcast would make it more palatable

This hasn't been a monthly feature, the first one was in the end of July.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario Party is beginning to interfere with the social lives of the people playing Mario Party and those around them (e.g. Dan's date).

Surely none of us want this to end in a Gameageddon.

Seeing what Drew and Jason were doing to the stream from the control room was fun, but I like watching people play videogames and enjoying themselves, not slogging through because they have to.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff's performance during the last thirty seconds of Mario Party 3 just solidified my belief that this feature should never end.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but make it less turns. Wait a long while before doing 4. I want to see the Gamecube ones cause those are my favorites

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I want them too if only because 4 is next and is my favourite along side 2.

But I really want them to play Fortune Street.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nope, the despair was funy for the first 6 hours, now it's just... Same minigames over and over again. The game is just annoying and I found myself skipping though the latest one. And I loved the second MPP.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario Party Party is easily my favorite feature on the site right now. The focus on just playing the game is what leads to the best moments. Dan being eternally optimistic and the others wavering back and forth between frustrated and delirious is the best. Also, all the MP games are huge trolls which is wonderful to watch. I wouldn't want them to skip any of them.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vextroid:

There's a really great video of folks playing Fortune Street on a TNT way back I believe.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

YOU GET NOTHING!!!

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#79  Edited By Y2Ken

They could be more selective in their choices. Honestly this could be a once or twice per year thing, that's more than frequently enough. I like watching them, but there are other games that I'd rather see them play for three-four hours at a time. Alternatively they could mix up the team each time, but I worry that once you've given some of the guys an excuse to get out of it they'll never do another one. If they really hated it that much though, they'd stop.

@sethphotopoulos said:

I don't know why 50 turns was originally decided. That's not the way people that like Mario Party play Mario Party.

I don't play Mario Party very often but I always opt for the max number of turns.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It crossed the line from being funny to being boring. The joke has run its course. I don't want to see the crew legitimately bummed out for 4 hours.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They should flip it on it's head and pick a game that Dan would hate. Then we can watch him suffer for four hours to balance it all out.

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great as it is. Keep the feature going with breaks in between, in my opinion. 50 turns Mario Party 4, we're getting to the Gamecube ones!

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad's outright hostility towards Dan really made this last stream hard to enjoy. I mean, I like Jeff's misery, he takes it out on the game, not the people around him. Brad just made things uncomfortable.

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By hoodcommando

Also, no offense, but a lot of you may be reading way too much on this. If the Crew was actually suffering from these videos, they would stop doing them. If you want to say you don't like the videos, that's one thing, but please don't start talking about how they hate each other or whatever.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Apart from Dan no one wants to sit there and waste that much time on it, and thats the beauty of the feature. It's the reason why people watched stuff like Fear Factor. This is like Dan Factor.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Anund

@hoodcommando said:

Also, no offense, but a lot of you may be reading way too much on this. If the Crew was actually suffering from these videos, they would stop doing them. If you want to say you don't like the videos, that's one thing, but please don't start talking about how they hate each other or whatever.

If there is something I am good at it's reading social cues.

Just rewatch the stream and tell me Brad is not being outright hostile, and not in a funny way. "Research the game in your own time!" There is a clear difference between Jeff and Brad in this stream. One is bored and expressing that in a funny way. One is outright pissed he has to be there and is taking it out on Dan.

I'm not saying this to defend Dan or anything, I am sure he doesn't need it. But for me, it just makes the whole thing uncomfortable.

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should take a break and play Fortune Street.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By flameboy84

Mario Party Party is easily my favorite feature on the site right now. The focus on just playing the game is what leads to the best moments. Dan being eternally optimistic and the others wavering back and forth between frustrated and delirious is the best. Also, all the MP games are huge trolls which is wonderful to watch. I wouldn't want them to skip any of them.

I think that sway is what matters. When people other than Dan win mini games they actually end up kinda happy. At the end of the day they are paid to provide premium video features. If this happens to be a "ratings winner" then it's hard to argue with the up aboves and justify not doing anymore.

As for the staff reactions I think Jeff genuinely does not like the N64 and that straight up informs the way he feels about Mario Party as a series. Brad is slightly more difficult to explain, he is extremely competitive whether he likes to admit it or not (I think Jeff differs in that he likes be good at games rather than outright competitive) and Mario Party brings out frustration in him from the fact that it's not balanced and not far a lot of the same and he seemingly can't handle it. This kind of boils over though in unpleasant ways; he snapped at Dan for a wrestling reference which is claimed 99% of the populous would not have heard of but at the time everyone else sat there go it. This from a man who has bored many a person talking about DOTA I'm sure. It's kind of a case of "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

Who knows perhaps now they aren't using an N64 controller from this point on they won't be as bad? (I've never played any of the Gamecube or Wii versions)

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think so. It's a fun feature.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If/when MPP wears out its welcome with the crew, Dan should finish up the series on the side and post them to his own YouTube channel, NDX-style.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, They're such a time commitment and for the little fun that is squeezed out of them I'd much rather they did something else.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

As long as they don't do 50 turns again I'm all for it. But 50 turns is just too much.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 is actually the only one I ever really considered a good game. Maybe "good" isn't the right word. It's an interesting game. There's a ton of shit in there. It's like somebody emptied the dumptruck of half-formed ideas into that game.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every episode is the ultimate endurance run

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first two parties are a couple of my favorite videos on the site but.. Jeff was just so quiet and Brad's not giving a shit attitude really took the wind out of the sails so I don't know.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#96  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think so. It being a long slog that everyone but Dan "hates" is the charm.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I want to see this great journey completed!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Ghostiet

Yes, but just two more. They should do the Wii one that changed the mechanics and then jump straight into the one coming out.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should stop playing Mario Party, and start playing Settlers of Catan. At least they will have some amount of fun playing that.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could almost guarantee you that dan and brad are good friends off camera too. They are definitely self aware enough to play up this (hilarious) rivalry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.