Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel Heroes Omega

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 04, 2013

Marvel Heroes was a free-to-play online action-RPG originally lead by one of the key people behind Diablo and Diablo 2, David Brevik. It featured many playable heroes from various Marvel properties. Both Marvel Heroes and it's developer, Gazillion Entertainment, shut down on November 24th, 2017.

Any first impressions?

• 53 results
    Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When i get home from work tonight i plan on downloading this and giving it a whirl. I'm a ARPG fan and also dig alot of marvel stuff. So i'm kinda interested in this game.

But after reading about the problems with the head start and such i'm kinda wary, also i'm scared that the free to play model will be brutal. Those pack prices on steam don't bode all that well.

So anyone been playing and can give me some first thoughts? Bored at work so i need stuff to read.

Deakor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried downloading it this morning and kept getting an error. Did a bit of research and it appears that the game may not unlock until 1 PM EDT (10 Pacific). I'm curious about this one for the same reasons you are but we may not see any impressions until later this afternoon. If I can get it installed and running later today I'll post an update.

gaftra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been really enjoying it! Got it Sunday night and played about 4 hours so far. The only problem I had was finding the download page but the game played just fine.

Playstyle is probably more similar to Torchlight than Diablo in terms of number of enemies and speed of combat. You don't really hit those overwhelmed moments you get in diablo. You also can have a horde of heroes running around which is pretty cool to see.

Visuals are all really nice and clean, been playing Colossus on a new gaming pc so everything is runs pretty well. The crafting seems pretty simple and loot grind is exactly what you'd expect to find from a Diablo designer.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First impression. Boring.

And honestly I don't like the groups of heroes running around together, as most of them consist of The Hulk and Wolverine. So it's just dumb to me to have 10 Hulks running around. Who is the strongest there is then?

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Jaktajj

Played a bunch of the beta - I really enjoyed it. Definitely feels designed to be played in short bursts. It's really fun seeing the different heroes and experimenting with the powers.

Too early to say how it'll pan out in the long term but really enjoying it so far.

gaftra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gaftra

The multiple heroes doesn't really bother me. I saw far fewer Wolverines/Hulks/Deadpools than I thought I would. If you're used to any of the arpgs you be used to seeing multiples of the same character.

I think the real test will be the high level grind to see if the replay is there like in Diablo 2 but not really in Diablo 3.

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Carousel

I'm enjoying it, but the prices are a little absurd.

$20 for Deadpool? Please.

Edit: Also, I just got my free starter hero. It was Hawkeye.

...Fuck.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a demo of this at Pax East and thought it felt good and the combat was fun, but im worried about the character building and other things that would lend to any longevity this game could have. Still worth a shot if it sounds like its up your alley.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

how do the heroes work? Do you have to pay for them or is there another way to unlock them?

universalize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By universalize
    Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Syndrom

i played through the tutorial with the thing and then got daredevil. I switched over to daredevil and it asked if i wanted to start the story over again. Why is this? do you get another point of view or something?

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By cloneslayer

launched marvel heroes for first time today, played past tutorial level, found out Squirrel Girl isn't in the game yet, immediately logged out.

Seems like fun, but I would like to play it though the first time with the character that got me excited for the game in the first place.

universalize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By universalize

@syndrom: resetting wipes all the missions you've done so far and makes u restart from the beginning. the reason is because if you don't you are left with the mission progression from your previous hero. basically lets you do all the missions with a new hero. also you can go to Manifold in Avengers Tower to reset from specific chapters (i think also resetting all the missions below the chapter you choose)

universalize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By universalize

@cloneslayer: if you wanna play squirrel girl from the beginning you have to pay for her. 100credits=$1. i'm guessing she may be around 1000 credits. or hope that she drops for you

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By musubi

launched marvel heroes for first time today, played past tutorial level, found out Squirrel Girl isn't in the game yet, immediately logged out.

Seems like fun, but I would like to play it though the first time with the character that got me excited for the game in the first place.

Yeah, playing as someone super crazy like Squirrel Girl seems way more appealing to me than Hulk or Iron Man.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloneslayer: if you wanna play squirrel girl from the beginning you have to pay for her. 100credits=$1. i'm guessing she may be around 1000 credits. or hope that she drops for you

no, she is not in the game at all, about 5 heroes were delayed until after launch.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another game that looks worse than Diablo 3 but runs like shit compared to Diablo 3; woo! D3's compatibility with just about any computer is incredible even if the rest of the game is middling.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Do you personally make over-exaggerated masturbation gestures while you're typing this stuff or do you leave that to the reader?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks generic but eh, it is free so test it, I shall.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By zeforgotten

@fredchuckdave: which can only mean your gaming system is really really shitty or it's just not optimized for whatever it is your running.

I bought one of those fancy packs and have enjoyed my time with it as a fancy looking Nolan North.. I mean Dead Pool.
    Lots of fun so far

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Toxeia

@cloneslayer: Hail, fellow furry. Right? Or am I getting this wrong?

The game appears to be very generic. Very... derivative. It's not even that it's like Diablo with Marvel characters, but it's practically just a MMO version of the game they had put out on the 360 (name escapes me). I'm sure at some point I'll try it - because it's free. And I'm sure 20 minutes past the tutorial I'll throw my arms up in a fit and say "Fuck this, I'm going to go bake a cake."

At least when I finish eating an entire cake by myself, I'm disgusted AND full.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@zeforgotten: To give you an idea my comp runs Mass Effect 2, The Witcher 2, and the Last Remnant fine; there's just something about free to play Diablo clones being horribly optimized.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Your machine just doesn't like free to play Diablo clones.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@zeforgotten: Curses! Granted I have a lot of much better games to play but there's always something that compels me to play a Diablo clone for a while; much like Jeff.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Played a bunch, still not entirely happy with it. Most frustrating thing is you need to click to both move and attack, which means you can't simultaneously attack and move, and sometimes you attack when you intend to move. It makes the game seem patronising and frustrating, while at the same time offering obscured complexity with it's items and crafting.

I like the characters they picked, though I wish more of them were playable; I'm still not happy about seeing 20 Captain Americas running around on the same screen. That's some Secret Invasion shit right there.

danmcn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By danmcn12

@sweep said:

Played a bunch, still not entirely happy with it. Most frustrating thing is you need to click to both move and attack, which means you can't simultaneously attack and move, and sometimes you attack when you intend to move. It makes the game seem patronising and frustrating, while at the same time offering obscured complexity with it's items and crafting.

I like the characters they picked, though I wish more of them were playable; I'm still not happy about seeing 20 Captain Americas running around on the same screen. That's some Secret Invasion shit right there.

You should press shift to attack. Makes combat much easier then clicking enemies.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda funny how the character prices seem to be based on how popular a character is. Want Spidey or Iron Man? $20! Want... Black Widow? $6!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Tennmuerti

Got bored after a couple of hours and uninstalled it. Too bare bones and basic even for a f2p title, kind of like baby's first "mmo" or diablo clone, uninspiring character and gear progression, no punch to the combat, atrocious quest text that can't even keep itself straight, and hilarious character and costume prices.

I had way more fun with the recent dungeon crawler Van Helsing game a well spent $15. Marvel Heroes made me regret wasting my 2 hours even if it is free.

A complete snooze fest.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By musubi

Well...was playing with downloading this but... like judging by the reactions free or not it doesn't seem worth my time or bandwith.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By project343

Feels like a poor-man's Diablo substitute: neutered and way too tame. I mean, it's a loot game without the feeling of 'hey, these are amazing-looking new shoulders... so badass.' Instead, it's 'hey, should I fork over an extra $10 to make myself not look like every other Scarlet Witch running around?'

I also think the art is so painfully ugly: the characters all have this weird sanitized look to them, and the environments feel completely uninspired. It feels too 'Saturday morning cartoon' for me.

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SpoogeMcduck

I played during one of the beta weekends, it didn't hook me at all. Not sure if they've changed it since but all it seemed to be was fighting the same thugs over and over and then getting to fight some random boss. Maybe with time it will improve. The good thing is that its free so its no big deal if you don't like it.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Fearbeard

I played a bit during the Beta Weekend and started playing a bit today. It seems decent, though the areas you fight in seem to be a bit bland. The gameplay is solid if you like the Diablo style of game, and the loot seems to be at least focused towards the character you are playing. None of the loot alters your appearance though, so really all they are are stats which makes them somewhat less appealing. The prices are absurd though.

It's free, and does offer a large amount of gameplay if you are having fun so it's definitely worth trying at least. You'll probably get bored with it, but you'll get a couple hours of enjoyment out of it.

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also not having advanced graphics options is a pain the ass.

The bloom and particle effects kill my FPS, but to turn those down, I'd have to turn everything else down.

They said that advanced options are coming soon, but it's kind of crazy to not launch with them.

The just kinda doesn't seem finished.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a few hours of it yesterday. It plays fine. It's pretty much a Diablo clone all the way. It was weird I found myself criticizing some of the design choices and the amount of grinding in the game yet enjoying the presentation and some of the style and flare. There is certainly something to it. I then realized I didn't pay any money to play the thing so my right to really drag down some of the design choices kind of goes a little on the extreme side. For a free to play game this is certainly one of your better options if you like playing point and click dungeon crawlers. If your interested in the Marvel Universe this seems satisfactory although not nearly as deep as Ultimate Alliance.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

I thought it was kind of fun but your framerate can practically tank during the event bosses and I'm lvl what, 12, 13 and I'm at chapter 4 which is roughly halfway? eek

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah i found that the game can really get chuggy when lots of effects go off. That unreal 3 engine man, weirdest thing. Bioshock infinite runs fine on high on my system but this game seems to really struggle in some places.

Anyway i got 10k credits for free ( i have to review the game) gonna buy some heroes tonight.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By development

Downloaded it and got to the character select screen. After sitting there completely baffled at the bargain bin character options I landed my cursor on Storm and crashed to desktop. Haven't opened it back up. These guys aren't doing FTP the best way, that's for sure. The way to go is to not keep the best parts of the game from people unless they give you enough money. Every character should be selectable for free, and the only thing you should be able to buy is cosmetic items, like DOTA (I don't play DOTA, but they're still doing things right). I understand there really aren't that many cosmetic items, though. Still, I think that piss poor starting roster will turn lots of people off like it has with me.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By Nev

It seems OK, but man does it run like trash on my computer. My rig is all right, and I can run a lot of stuff no problem, but even on medium this was chugging.

Terrible performance aside, I picked Storm as my starter character, and yeah, I dunno. I just kinda stopped after an hour or so feeling like I wanted to go back and play some Torchlight 2.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The gameplay mechanics seem pretty solid, but the starting character roster is pretty lame and anyone you'd really want to play as costs a significant amount of money, way too expensive for what little you get.

I had a bit of fun roaming around with a friend, but I don't really understand the MMO aspects of it. Seems like it would have worked fine as an Ultimate Alliance style co-op game. Meet other players in the hubs, sure, but why do I have to see everyone else running around while I'm trying to complete the story? Seeing so many copies of the same characters is a little bizarre.

The lack of progression also makes it a hard pill to swallow. I always thought the most enjoyable aspects of MUA were playing through, unlocking new characters and costumes. Here you're locked into whoever you pick, unless you pay money and while new characters can drop as random loot and costumes can be crafted.. I get the feeling that the drop rates for these things are going to be so ridiculously high that you're basically forced to fork over the cash.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a lot of fun in this free to play game. The graphics are nice, the powers look nice as well. Good first impression. I don't mind seeing other identical heroes, I just focus on my own character(s).

KingdanglerBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KingdanglerBK

GAME is fun as going to the zoo or at least a waterpark!

Love being HULK with the Super JUMP move and big pounds to kill all enemys in a given area around the hulk. Also lvl'ed to 15 or 16 last night and now have a punch that deals 615 dmg! I am only through chapter 4 too!

ABout to watch the QL then get back at!

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GAME is fun as going to the zoo or at least a waterpark!

Back of box quote.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Pretty decent. I did about 90 minutes as Storm but I think I'm going to leave it and come back when The Human Torch is released.

Islaja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

This game is pretty legit:

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the beta. Redownloaded the full game client today aaaaaand...it just goes to a black screen. It won't launch up. Don't know what the deal is. I'll have to play around with it.

Can anyone confirm if Cable is FINALLY in the game as a character I can buy? This is important information to know. He was not available in the beta while I was playing, and I NEED to have Cable.

Also, does all your stuff from the beta carry over? I'd really hate it if I lost 6,000G worth of stuff. Mind you, I didn't pay a penny for that 6,000G...but still, I'm rather partial to my Joe Fix-It costume on Hulk. I look so gangster when I ground and pound fools.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By rebgav

@jakob187: Cable is in, nothing carries over from the beta, especially not the free money.

arkkazeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By arkkazeal

Minus a few seconds of the game hitching up after a load it runs perfectly for me on max setting and I'm quite enjoying the fiery effects as Phoenix looks real perty. Pricing structure kinda sucks but my only real complaint is no Nightcrawler.

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Has it got any better since the terrible beta? Not a great advert for the game and it looked like something from 2006 (with similarly dated mechanics). Seeing four Hulks crowd round an item vendor was pretty silly though.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Tennmuerti

@piranesi said:

Has it got any better since the terrible beta? Not a great advert for the game and it looked like something from 2006 (with similarly dated mechanics). Seeing four Hulks crowd round an item vendor was pretty silly though.

I didn't play the beta, but you described the release exactly.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@piranesi said:

I didn't play the beta, but you described the release exactly.

Yep, it's kinda dull and uninspired.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.