Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

I don't really like Mass Effect 2

• 67 results
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

Everybody has been saying how fantastic that game is, it won a bunch of awards and even GOTY award 2010. So I picked it up on the PS3 and haven't really enjoyed much of it so far. I've played it for about 3-4 hours or so, I've recruited alot of members into the party and now I'm at the point where I am fighting collectors for the first time. Don't get me wrong the game has its good points, but so far the story is dull, the combat is too slow and I don't really like the control setup to much.  

I'm not a 11 year old kid who just sits on his 360 and plays cod all day, I enjoy story driven single player games alot, Metal Gear Solid, Heavy Rain etc. But I just can't get into Mass Effect, does the story or gameplay get better later on in the game, or am I just doing somthing wrong?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

The overarching story is actually pretty weak. The interesting stuff comes from the characters and their loyalty missions.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By CptChiken

i dont understand how EA can expect PS3 play to get into mass effect 2, because none of them have played the first mass effect. I think  if you had you would be more into the story because you yourself would have had much more of an effect on it and you'd notice all the little nods in 2s story to things that happened in the first. 

but the game deffinatly gets better in the last half.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

There's nothing wrong with that. 

I enjoyed it, though.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By ReyGitano
    @CptChiken said:
    " i dont understand how EA can expect PS3 play to get into mass effect 2, because none of them have played the first mass effect. I think  if you had you would be more into the story because you yourself would have had much more of an effect on it and you'd notice all the little nods in 2s story to things that happened in the first.  but the game deffinatly gets better in the last half. "
    My friend just finished playing through Mass Effect 2 on his PS3, without ever playing the first game. Then it played it twice again. He fell in love with the game, so I understand why you would release the second game even without releasing the original, but I agree that it is a bit of an odd. Even so, I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who appreciate being able to play through the game. 

Sorry to hear you're not liking it so far Hizang, but if you get to the loyalty missions and still aren't feeling, then nothing else will change that.
    doejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By doejonathan
    @Hizang: I can understand getting into ME2 without having played the original might be a bit of a leap. I don't think the gameplay will draw you in if it hasn't grabbed you already, although, looking back at how many times I had to start up Fallout 3 before I finally understood what the big draw was might also be true for you with ME2.  A big part for me was the connection I have with my main Shepard, having the responsibility to create a proper dramatic story buildup.  
    Of course, it could be the game isn't working for you, it happens, it's expensive, but it happens. 
    The only thing I see you are doing wrong is liking Heavy Rain, but don't worry about that, even the BAFTA awards couldn't tell bad storytelling if it hit the in the face. (Disclaimer: I'm joking of course...well... ).
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

Well, to be honest, there really isn't much of a story, the majority of the game is actually just the loyalty missions.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Not really, if you didn't enjoy the recruitment missions there's not much to look forward to. In my opinion the ending was the worst part of the game.

And: @Slaker117 said:

" The overarching story is actually pretty weak. The interesting stuff comes from the characters and their loyalty missions. "
    Yeah, this.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Dany
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:

" Not really, if you didn't enjoy the recruitment missions there's not much to look forward to. In my opinion the ending was the worst part of the game.

And: @Slaker117 said:

" The overarching story is actually pretty weak. The interesting stuff comes from the characters and their loyalty missions. "
    Yeah, this. "
    The ending was the best part of the game. Playing that game for the first time when it was released and not having a clue how every decision would stack up and lead to a suicidal mission was great. Sure, we look back and can notice how structured the ending was but it was a real achievment.

ME2 is less overarching story and more about the characters which was OK. It did some fine things to progress the story. The combat is much different from the first game and is very paced, once you get into a rhythm in the game, it is simply fun. I really enjoyed the combat in ME2, especially as a adept or vanguard
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    " In my opinion the ending was the worst part of the game.  "
    You didn't like the suicide mission? I thought it was exciting. That boss was really the only issue, but the issue was just that it was a bit dumb and cheesy. 

I dunno, good ending overall I thought.
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJWeatherman said:

" @TheSeductiveMoose said:

" In my opinion the ending was the worst part of the game.  "
    You didn't like the suicide mission? I thought it was exciting. That boss was really the only issue, but the issue was just that it was a bit dumb and cheesy.  I dunno, good ending overall I thought. "
    I felt that it was anti-climatic and rather chessy, and I felt that I wasn't given the proper choices in the end. The boss was also really dumb.

But that's just my opinion, I get that others might have liked it

@Dany:
    You might wanna think about removing the spoiler.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By IBurningStar

The game is all about the characters.They are the story. Which makes sense because of what it builds to and how it can possibly play out. The plot of it is pretty much this.

Establish events that explain your motives and goal.
    Start recruiting team.
    Intermission like major plot segment.
    Finish recruiting/character stories.
    Final missions.

That is the game in a nutshell.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By dagas

I take it you have not played ME1, I bet that's at least part of the reason.  

Everyone have games that they don't like despite everyone else praising them. I for example never understood what was so good about Gears of War and didn't care for GTA4 much. Never understood why Zelda OoT is considered to be so great either despite my favorite video game magazine giving it 100/100 at the time. 

I've loved Bioware's games since at least KotOR. The story in their games is not about the overall story, but rather about the characters. The overall story is just a setting, same in Dragon Age. The story feels more like an excuse to get a bunch of party members together. If you don't like that sort of storytelling then you probably don't like their games.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Akeldama

"So let me get this straight, Bioware. You intend to make an RPG without looting? Weird. And you plan on adding ammo when there wasn't ammo before? Weirder. Wait a second...aren't you just making a weak ass Gears clone?" 

"Yea pretty much...but we made a really good story where you can talk to dudes!" 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slaker117 said:
    I like the Reaper stuff :(
    Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Castiel

Yeah well then... I... I... YEAH WELL THEN I DON'T LIKE YOU!... BOOM! 

nah just kidding.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slaker117
    @EveretteScott:  The fiction is fine, but it's only the simplest of frame work for the real meat of the game, your crew.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hizang
    @dagas:
    I love Ocarina of Time...
    Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Bigrhyno

What class did you pick? The combat may not be that fun if the one you picked doesn't fit your playstyle. Your class choice influences the gameplay dramatically.

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DrBendo

My opinion is roughly the same regarding ME1. I've tried to get into it, but it just isn't very good. I plated about five hours and then let it collect dust until I found the sequel for $7. I tried the game again with a different class, and it was still the same slog.

There are things about it that are great, but the game is essentially well-polished mediocrity. The combat feels incredibly generic, as does the story. As Bland Space Opera #432, there isn't much to it in the grand scheme. That being said, it's very well executed banality. The story isn't interesting or original in any way, but it is consistent (which is a trait more rare than one would think). While the characters are the same stock cross-section you'll find in any science fiction, each one has a distinct voice; their diction and tone is maintained well. There's a great deal of fiction that has been put behind the game's world (granted, it's still generic sci-fi blather, but the quantity is impressive.), and the way the levels of back-story are revealed is effective. The writing is pretty good for a game with believable, natural sounding dialog, and the dialog-tree system is top-notch. You're presented with options that capture the tone of possible routes without just telling you exactly what you're about to say, which cuts down on the redundancy of many games. Damned near everything about the game feels very deliberate.

I see why those who can get into the same sci-fi tropes that have been presented for the last forty years love the game. But if you're nonplussed after a few hours, it's probably just not for you. For all I've played, the game hasn't gotten better. I like the cut of Bioware's jib, and I'd like to enjoy one of their games someday, but the core of everything they've done just bores the hell out of me. If they'd move away from doing the most typical space opera sci-fi and high fantasy, I could probably get interested. I'd love to see what they could do with horror or dark cyber-punk; hell, maybe a Victorian crime story. It seems a shame that their talents keep going to the most played-out genres possible.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By keyhunter

Read a book if you don't like playing games.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By tourgen
    @keyhunter said:
    " Read a book if you don't like playing games. "
    good advice
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#23  Edited By EpicSteve

You're allowed to have a different opinion than the masses. 

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By ThePickle
    @EpicSteve said:
    " You're allowed to have a different opinion than the masses.  "
    Yeah basically. I loved ME2, but you don't. No big deal. At least you're not one of those crazy people that say that Mass Effect 1 is better. 
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Winternet

Mass Effect is more about its amazing Universe and its characters than its story.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Animasta
    @HandsomeDevil said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    Yeah basically. I loved ME2, but you don't. No big deal. At least you're not one of those crazy people that say that Mass Effect 1 is better.  "
    mass effect 1 story is better I feel.

also, OP, don't worry. I happen to know there are a lot of people who dislike ME2. In favor of Alpha Protocol. Such as myself :D
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Cincaid
    @Hizang said:
    " I'm not a 11 year old kid who just sits on his 360 and plays cod all day  "
    Really? Really?

I thought we were above insulting certain console users, but I guess I was wrong. Pathetic.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hizang

I'm still gonna finish the game though, I paid full price for this game..

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ThePickle
    @Laketown said:
    " @HandsomeDevil said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    Yeah basically. I loved ME2, but you don't. No big deal. At least you're not one of those crazy people that say that Mass Effect 1 is better.  "
    mass effect 1 story is better I feel.  also, OP, don't worry. I happen to know there are a lot of people who dislike ME2. In favor of Alpha Protocol. Such as myself :D "
    Main story is a little more focused, but characters and gameplay were much better in ME2. 
    SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SpacePenguin

To be honest one of the main reasons I loved Mass Effect 2 was because I cared so much more for the story because I had played Mass Effect 1 I really couldnt of started at the second one. Just seeing how the fiction has progressed from each game and how stuff I did in the first game impacts the next, creating my Shepard and then playing him in ME 2. This is why I love ME. So it might of been because you just jumped into the second one and didnt play the first, or maybe you just dont get it, its impossible for everyone to like the game.

twinkletowez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By twinkletowez

I'll be honest, It took me 3 tries to finally get into the original Mass Effect (Fucking Noveria...). But on a whim I decided to give it another try, and something really clicked for me. I loved the characters, the dialog, the overall story, everything. What I've found with Bioware games is that what makes them special and different from anything else is all the little details. th way the party members will have little conversations with each other while they follow you around, or how importing your save actually leads to cool stuff. Now I'll be honest, I think Bioware screwed up on Mass Effect 2. They took all the elements from ME1 that made it an RPG, stripped them out, and made it more of a 3rd person shooter with RPG elements (which I use loosely...). Now don't get me wrong, I still love the hell out of ME2, but it's not even the same game. 

I lost track of what I was trying to get at here, but my point is: Give it another try! I think what's happening here is you were hearing about how this was the greatest game of all time, and when ME2 didn't meet those expectations you were disappointed. Its totally understandable because I know I do it all the time when someone recommends a game to me. That's why i stopped paying $60 a pop and got Gamefly instead.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I love ME series.

Now a series I tried getting into but can't for the life of me is Gears of War. I played the first one for a few hours and couldn't get into it. 

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @SpacePenguin said:

" To be honest one of the main reasons I loved Mass Effect 2 was because I cared so much more for the story because I had played Mass Effect 1 I really couldnt of started at the second one. Just seeing how the fiction has progressed from each game and how stuff I did in the first game impacts the next, creating my Shepard and then playing him in ME 2. This is why I love ME. So it might of been because you just jumped into the second one and didnt play the first, or maybe you just dont get it, its impossible for everyone to like the game. "

This. It's not so much Mass Effect 2 in itself that's the big thing, but how the story continues from Mass Effect 1 as a whole.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I'd recommend playing the 1st game on another platform; you may not be able to import your characters and history, but at least you will get to experience the origins of the Mass Effect universe.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By blueaniman93

Mass Effect 2 is better if you play Mass Effect 1.
    The best part of Mass Effect 2 is revisiting all those characters and worlds.
    The combat doesn't get much better but I really like the story, but that is because of story ties from Mass Effect 1.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By project343
    @Hizang: The story is, probably, the weakest part of the game. The characters, combat, and decisions/imported choices are the highlights. If the combat is too slow, then tactical RPG/shooter combat may not be for you--it's probably 3x faster than Mass Effect 1's combat.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Me neither.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DrPockets000

The game gets better, but I can't imagine how one would find ME2 great without connecting with characters and story of ME1.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hizang

I still haven't touched it since then..
    Festerin88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Festerin88

I've gotta agree with you - I'm not a huge fan of the game myself.

caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By caityful
    @CptChiken said:
    i dont understand how EA can expect PS3 play to get into mass effect 2, because none of them have played the first mass effect.
    This is absolutely right. Part of the enjoyment that comes from playing Mass Effect 2 is having played through the first game and discovered the back story.
    The second game just wouldn't be much chop without the whole story, so this mini-comic at the beginning of the PS3 version is a little bit BS.
    Also, try playing through every side mission. I clocked about 48 hours after completing every single mission with my first ME2 playthrough. The loyalty missions are definitely worthwhile.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt the same way about fallout 3 didn't care for that game at all.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By ajamafalous

That's because it's mostly a middling third person shooter that relies on your having played ME1 enough to be invested in the characters to like it as opposed to actually being a good game on its own merits. 

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fattony12000

Sovereign was a badman.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By napalm

You haven't played Mass Effect until you've played Mass Effect.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's up there with BioShock in terms of games I enjoyed everything about besides for the fact I had to play it. For a bunch of smart guys, did none of them sit down and try to think of something more exciting than rooms of chest high walls?

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bongchilla

I've tried to play Mass Effect (the original) a few times now but I cannot seem to gather any interest. All I hear is how good the sequel is and want to play it but i'm like Vinny and need to play all preceding installments. Doesn't look like I will ever play this game. 

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By YoThatLimp
    @CptChiken said:
    i dont understand how EA can expect PS3 play to get into mass effect 2, because none of them have played the first mass effect. I think  if you had you would be more into the story because you yourself would have had much more of an effect on it and you'd notice all the little nods in 2s story to things that happened in the first.  but the game deffinatly gets better in the last half.
    I didn't play the first one on 360 and thought ME2 was awesome.
    Avatar image for giantbombiscool
    giantbombiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By giantbombiscool

ha funny it's like daria really wrote that post

mass effect is a great series one of my favourite
    dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dpedal1
    @Hizang: You have no idea how good this makes me feel.  I actuall think it is very overrated as well, and don't really like it either.  Man that feels good to get off my chest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.