Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 PC gameplay I recorded at maximum graphics

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

There aren't really any spoilers, it's the start of the game and some stuff happens with the Normandy.  It's before you even get a gun or have customized Shepard.  The graphics are amazing, and it ran at 60 fps no problem.  It's like a freaking movie, or better because I've never seen space looking so nice before. 

edit:  Ok it's in HD now.  1080p.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

This reminds me why I need a new PC.   : (   *tear*

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JoelTGM
    @JJWeatherman said:

" This reminds me why I need a new PC.   : (   *tear* "

my PC isn't even that powerful.  2gb of ram, 8800 gts I think?  2.4 quad core cpu.  That's off memory, I don't know anymore but it's not amazing or anything.   Bioware did a good job of putting it on the PC.  
    Oh and the video is in HD now, I'll edit the post with the HD version.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

my PC isn't even that powerful.  2gb of ram, 8800 gts I think?  2.4 quad core cpu.  That's off memory, I don't know anymore but it's not amazing or anything.   Bioware did a good job of putting it on the PC.   Oh and the video is in HD now, I'll edit the post with the HD version. "
    You just don't understand man. You just don't under-staaaaand!

(I'm running a laptop)     *another tear*
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JoelTGM
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

my PC isn't even that powerful.  2gb of ram, 8800 gts I think?  2.4 quad core cpu.  That's off memory, I don't know anymore but it's not amazing or anything.   Bioware did a good job of putting it on the PC.   Oh and the video is in HD now, I'll edit the post with the HD version. "
    You just don't understand man. You just don't under-staaaaand!  (I'm running a laptop)     *another tear* "
    Oh ... :(  Well if you've got a 360 get it on that, it will still look just as good because they optimized it really well. 
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

The game is really great looking on 360 too.  No 60fps though, but it's easily one of the better looking 360 games.  I don't think anyone will be disappointed in this one (graphically).

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By rjayb89

Wow.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Adamantium

I was still on the fence about picking ME2 up until I watched this.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Demyx
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

You just don't understand man. You just don't under-staaaaand!  (I'm running a laptop)     *another tear* "
    why does that matter? I'm running it on a laptop and it looks great, almost no problems except an occasional stutter.
    Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Relys

My PC can't even process that video smoothly. :(

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Demyx said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

why does that matter? I'm running it on a laptop and it looks great, almost no problems except an occasional stutter. "
    Well his laptop probably isn't built for gaming at all by the sound of it.  I might try it on my laptop, just to see how easy or hard this game is to run.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Diamond said:
    " The game is really great looking on 360 too.  No 60fps though, but it's easily one of the better looking 360 games.  I don't think anyone will be disappointed in this one (graphically). "
    Nice try but there's no comparison.  A game like this, where resolution counts for every detail from the shape of a character through to the bump map on a piece of clothing to the readout on a display really decreases immersion potential on the console release.  The human eyelids on the 360 version look ugly as fuck because they are made of less triangles, which makes all the eye emoting look plain weird.  It's easily seen on the promo videos whenever "Chuck" emotes in any way.  I think Bioware are actually beginning to remember how much more fun they had releasing games for the PC before they signed their deal with the devil in KOTOR's XBOX centric design.  Both of their latest games look and play better on PC.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Geno

Any chance you could force AA through the drivers? I saw some screenies on GAF with those settings but no video. Would do it myself but a) don't have time to play and b) don't have recording software.  

Edit: Also I noticed that everyone posting videos has Ashely in the beginning; am I the only one who saved Kaiden in ME1? 

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By clubsandwich

holy balls I came

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Geno said:
    " Any chance you could force AA through the drivers? I saw some screenies on GAF with those settings but no video. Would do it myself but a) don't have time to play and b) don't have recording software.   Edit: Also I noticed that everyone posting videos has Ashely in the beginning; am I the only one who saved Kaiden in ME1?  "
    Easily done.  Nvidia and ATI instructions.  Essentially in the ATI case, you just need to make a game profile with forced AA in the CCC.

I let Kaiden die because he was largely unhappy as a character and I thought that it would be a nice cure for his headaches. :P
    Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Jesus

So may I have your pc?
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By AndrewB

How are the PC controls, though? It seems like a game totally built with a gamepad in mind, and my Xbox 360 to PC wireless adaptor mysteriously broke (you could say it red-ringed).

Edit: wow, this is a strong case for me buying the PC version...

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By Geno
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Geno said:
    " Any chance you could force AA through the drivers? I saw some screenies on GAF with those settings but no video. Would do it myself but a) don't have time to play and b) don't have recording software.   Edit: Also I noticed that everyone posting videos has Ashely in the beginning; am I the only one who saved Kaiden in ME1?  "
    Easily done.  Nvidia and ATI instructions.  Essentially in the ATI case, you just need to make a game profile with forced AA in the CCC.  I let Kaiden die because he was largely unhappy as a character and I thought that it would be a nice cure for his headaches. :P "
    Is it possible to force it through the regular drivers as well for Nvidia? I don't like nHancer, it's screwy on my PC for some reason. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

Oh ... :(  Well if you've got a 360 get it on that, it will still look just as good because they optimized it really well.  "
    Yeah I can't get over how much improved the 360 technical issues are over the first game. Such a beautiful game.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Demyx
    @AndrewB said:
    " How are the PC controls, though? It seems like a game totally built with a gamepad in mind, and my Xbox 360 to PC wireless adaptor mysteriously broke (you could say it red-ringed).  Edit: wow, this is a strong case for me buying the PC version... "
    Well, hotkeys are awesome cause you can hotkey yours and your teammates powers. I've never played the 360 version so I don't know how that works.@Geno said:
    No I did, not a big fan of xenophobics. Kinda regret, although might be the same no matter what.@DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @Demyx said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

why does that matter? I'm running it on a laptop and it looks great, almost no problems except an occasional stutter. "
    Well his laptop probably isn't built for gaming at all by the sound of it.  I might try it on my laptop, just to see how easy or hard this game is to run. "
    yeah, makes sense.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Geno said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Geno said:
    Easily done.  Nvidia and ATI instructions.  Essentially in the ATI case, you just need to make a game profile with forced AA in the CCC.  I let Kaiden die because he was largely unhappy as a character and I thought that it would be a nice cure for his headaches. :P "
    Is it possible to force it through the regular drivers as well for Nvidia? I don't like nHancer, it's screwy on my PC for some reason.  "
    I'd say so, the only reason why you use NHancer is to make sure the xml, files which are the Nvidia Control Panel generated profiles, maintain the correct rendermodes (mainly for SLI) and attributes in the right places.  I've used rarely felt the need to use NHancer.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By FunExplosions

Holy shit. Not gonna read anyone's comments because I'm afraid of spoilers. That intro was just amazing.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Brendan

I played the original on my laptop when I heard how less broken it was than the 360.  I want to play ME2 with a save file from ME1.  Since you obviously can't carry over PC game decisions to the 360, can my laptop play ME2? 

CPU-Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz 

RAM-3 GB

Graphics-256 Mb 8600 GT

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @FunExplosions:@Adamantium: Absolutely. I had figured I'd be able to wait a few months to buy it until I saw this. One hell of an introduction.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JoelTGM
    @AndrewB said:
    " How are the PC controls, though? It seems like a game totally built with a gamepad in mind, and my Xbox 360 to PC wireless adaptor mysteriously broke (you could say it red-ringed).  Edit: wow, this is a strong case for me buying the PC version... "
    Well with default controls it's WASD, left click to fire, hold right click to aim gears of war style.  You have hotkeys for abilities, but you can also press shift to pause the game and see all those abilities and your squad mates abilities.  Spacebar is cover, hold it for sprint.  It's a shooter, it controls very well and feels like a proper PC game.  For example, when choosing what to say in a conversation you can use the mouse and left click to select, it's not like use the arrow keys and then press enter or something.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Demyx
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @AndrewB said:
    Well with default controls it's WASD, left click to fire, hold right click to aim gears of war style.  You have hotkeys for abilities, but you can also press shift to pause the game and see all those abilities and your squad mates abilities.  Spacebar is cover, hold it for sprint.  It's a shooter, it controls very well and feels like a proper PC game.  For example, when choosing what to say in a conversation you can use the mouse and left click to select, it's not like use the arrow keys and then press enter or something. "
    I had just played a lot of ME1, and couldn't deal with spacebar being cover and sprint....
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Diamond
    @SeriouslyNow said:

Nice try but there's no comparison.  A game like this, where resolution counts for every detail from the shape of a character through to the bump map on a piece of clothing to the readout on a display really decreases immersion potential on the console release.  The human eyelids on the 360 version look ugly as fuck because they are made of less triangles, which makes all the eye emoting look plain weird.  It's easily seen on the promo videos whenever "Chuck" emotes in any way.  I think Bioware are actually beginning to remember how much more fun they had releasing games for the PC before they signed their deal with the devil in KOTOR's XBOX centric design.  Both of their latest games look and play better on PC.

lol what?  Stop being a dumb fanboy.  Man, for someone that knows so much about technology, you really do act like a fool sometimes.

360 vs PC version maxed comparison shots, tell me again if there's 'no comparison'.
    crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crystalskull2
    @Diamond said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:

lol what?  Stop being a dumb fanboy.  Man, for someone that knows so much about technology, you really do act like a fool sometimes.

360 vs PC version maxed comparison shots, tell me again if there's 'no comparison'. "

The PC screenshots look too dark and its tough to see any improvement from ME1 in PC graphics.Is this really how the game looks?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Diamond
    @crystalskull2: Well to be honest you can turn up the PC version resolution higher than that if your monitor will allow it, and you can crank up AA at driver level if you don't mind the potential of some glitched effects (it's disabled for a reason, people).  It allows for a clearer image (less jaggies).  Otherwise that's exactly how it looks.

The lighting and textures blow away Mass Effect 1 on both versions.  Shadows are somewhat improved.  The performance is way better on 360 [edit - than ME1] (way better load times, zero texture pop in), and I hear the PC version is similarly improved.

edit - I'd also say much of the shader work is far nicer than before.  Lots of nice armor / clothing 'looks', and character faces benefit similarly.

edit 2 - another thing I should add, just that the art direction and creativity are much higher in ME2.  There's a lot more variety of specific details in the environments.  Not anywhere near as much copy/pasting of models & textures as in ME1.
    Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Khemitude
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JoelTGM

Um, it said Viacom made a copyright claim.  Now the video is blocked.  How the heck does that work?  That's my video, I recorded that.  I disputed it, but somehow I don't think that will do anything.  It said the video will remain blocked unless the copyright owners change it's status.  Wtf is that?  They can just say that's their video, that they somehow recorded me playing a game, and they can choose whether people can see it or not?

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By clarke0

That is really impressive. Especially considering you aren't running it on high-end hardware. This game would look incredible on my PC! Hmm... thanks for posting this I was wondering how this game turned out on PC.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jmrwacko

I'm so happy that this game vsyncs perfectly at 60 fps. Only time I went below 30 fps was during the Quarian trial, because there were like 30 people on the screen at once.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jmrwacko
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " Um, it said Viacom made a copyright claim.  Now the video is blocked.  How the heck does that work?  That's my video, I recorded that.  I disputed it, but somehow I don't think that will do anything.  It said the video will remain blocked unless the copyright owners change it's status.  Wtf is that?  They can just say that's their video, that they somehow recorded me playing a game, and they can choose whether people can see it or not? "
    That's not right. I've never heard of gameplay videos being removed from youtube without having licensed music in them. Submit a ticket.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hatking

Cool.... although YouTube is an awful place to show off a game... not that I have any recommendation I'd just imagine it'd be even better in person. 

I'm playing it on my 1080p HDTV on a 360 and it looks damn fine.  What I am really missing out on is the sound, I have my sound system at my old apartment with my roommates(I'd assume they'd use it more than I would).  I'll probably nab that back from them one of these days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.