Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Zaeed Massani is actually a pretty likable character.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

I know there has been plenty of discussion regarding Zaeed about his lack of backstory, and his very unlikable loyalty mission that left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouths. I felt the same way, until I ended up taking him on a bunch of missions and hearing how he talks. He definitely changes his tune after his loyalty mission, and on severely occasions he egged me to help survivors, gave his honest opinions, and generally seemed way more generous than before. I understand the talk during the missions is more scripted stuff, but regardless, he sounds like a better person, and it sounds like he feels like he's fighting more for a cause and giving insight, rather than some short-sighted bullshit about "just getting the job done no matter the cost".

Overall, I've really grown attached to Zaeed. If you use him more often, he becomes a much more viable and likable character - and not just in his skillset - but also his attitude. Inferno Grenade is a solid technique as well.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Yeah I know he could of been one of my favourites even, especially with his fakin awesome voice actor. But to me, knowing that he has so little character developement really soils alot of his potential. I'm glad he at least offers the usual commentary during the chat-scenes, but still he can't match the other team members for me personally.

Also why don't people generally like his loyalty mission? =S I thought it was pretty good, and I'm plenty grateful for the flamethrower it gives me 8P

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Liminality

I wish he had died instead of Legion on my mission, I hate Zaeed... but I won't change it, one Shepard only, one mission only.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Brunchies

I actually liked his loyalty mission and the inferno grenade isn't a bad power either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Shepard is also known for getting the job done no matter the cost.  They don't call her the Butcher of Torfan for nothing.

And losing Legion is okay.  For he is many.

Babymauler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Babymauler

I did not like him because outside of his loyalty mission you have zero interaction with him. He will tell you about his gun or how he killed a krogan battlemaster. But aside from that he did not bring much to the table. But I do understand his nature of being a DLC character and not being as fleshed out as the main posse. I hope Kasumi is at least interesting, and has dialogue trees. Bioware game characters with no dialogue trees are just throwaway npcs to me.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Liminality
    @Brodehouse said:
    " Shepard is also known for getting the job done no matter the cost.  They don't call her the Butcher of Torfan for nothing.   And losing Legion is okay.  For he is many. "
    That's what I thought when I sent him, but still I missed his dialogues because of that, and those dialogues were incredibly interesting and important. He died so stupidly...
    FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FartyMcNarly

Zaeed was probably my favourite character because he was just there to get the job done, get paid and move on. He has great stories about killing things, his loyalty mission is about killing things, and that dude is just fucking good at killing things! The only other character I enjoyed talking to was Thane, and just listening to EDI and Joker talk to each other. I played with the trash ejector more than talking to the other people because it was way more interesting.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Dany

I'm watching Enemies at the Gate and that sniper that with jude law who dies mid jump in the beginning, really reminded me of Zaeed. I wonder if that is where they got their inspiration from.

thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thejamster

I liked his loyalty mission and talking to him about all of his stuff he keeps with him while playing with the garbage compactor 

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I don't hate Zaeed, I just think he wasn't given enough detail as the other squad members. Maybe if he have more dialogue or something I would have liked him better.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Kyreo

I dont like him cuz Straight soldiers are kinda useless.  Garrus can do as much and more than Zaeed can.  He is a poor choice for a squadmate and has little interesting dialogue. 

Though, his accent is pree bitchin.

Shiro_Shishi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Shiro_Shishi
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Kyreo said:
    " I dont like him cuz Straight soldiers are kinda useless.  Garrus can do as much and more than Zaeed can.  He is a poor choice for a squadmate and has little interesting dialogue.  Though, his accent is pree bitchin. "
    Personally, I hated the VO. I expected the voice actor to suffocate right there in the sound booth.
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Garrus

I think,  people generally hate him for silly reasons, just because you can't talk to him doesn't mean he doesn't have history like everyone else.

He's a great character in my opinion, yes you can't talk to him, yes he was free, yes he is one ugly motherfucker and nobody has any excuse to say he's pushy or something, you bring him along for the collector mission where he knows he may ultimately die but you do one small mission for him but it annoyed me how Shepard generally was so reluctant, when all he wants is one mission done and that's all he asks of you. 

And as for his class, sometimes a pure soldier is what you need. The higher difficulties IF you use your squad properly unlike most people who let them sit there, you'll notice his fire bombs are a pretty effective weapon because they damage armour quite a bit and damage health and that sometimes a fast and hard hitting soldier is what you need because pure soldiers have weapon choice of shotguns too.

Also his accent is perfect for who he is I think.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By napalm
    @Kyreo said:
    " I dont like him cuz Straight soldiers are kinda useless.  Garrus can do as much and more than Zaeed can.  He is a poor choice for a squadmate and has little interesting dialogue.  Though, his accent is pree bitchin. "
    Two words: Inferno Grenade.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jimbo

I liked him as a character and thought he had a pretty decent loyalty mission.  I won't spoil it by saying what I chose to do, but let's just say he ended up loyal.  His character model looks fantastic too - especially his fucked up face.

Fair enough you can't go into up close discussion mode with him, but I bet by the time you take into account all of his stories and the stuff around him you can ask about, he probably has just as much to say as any of the other characters.  I certainly felt like I knew just as much about his backstory as I did about anybody elses by the end of the game.

Brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Brown

Yep I agree Zaeed was pretty much my first choice for every mission- he looked and sounded like a tough s.o.b and he actually had quite alot to say inbetween missions. Loyalty mission was ok- not as dragged out of the rest though. There's too many Tali lovers lately Zaeed is the man!

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ArchScabby

I hate him

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By veektarius

Big fan of Zaeed's character.  His integration was lacking though, and not just because you can't' enter dialogue mode with him.  With the other characters the recruitment made you feel a little attached to them.  Him, you walk in, say hi, and he's with you.  Not much attachment there, even though I know you're kind of not supposed to feel attached.

Avatar image for fullmetal_cylon
    fullmetal_cylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fullmetal_cylon

Even after his loyalty mission I decided to use him as cannon fodder.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Brodehouse said:
    " Shepard is also known for getting the job done no matter the cost.  They don't call her the Butcher of Torfan for nothing.   And losing Legion is okay.  For he is many. "
    He was a mobile platform for Geth programs, not a cylon. He didn't get reuploaded to another body when he died.
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Illmatic

I'll put my feelings towards him this way, I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure he dies during my second playthrough.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Teran
    @Babymauler: He's on your ship and you can talk to him, there is plenty of interaction... or is your complaint that his comments aren't behind a facade of conversation?
    Babymauler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Babymauler
    @Teran: What I was getting at that you did not go into conversations with him asides from the loyalty mission. He also is a creepy twit with his gun, and looking at the security cameras. Kelly is mine you perv >:(
    Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Pinkshley1

Who doesn't like setting a backstabbing scum-sucker on fire?

Avatar image for keystone_yinzer
    Keystone_Yinzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Keystone_Yinzer

I really don't understand the hate people have for Zaeed. He is one of my favorite squad members and was a permanent squad member on my renegade playthrough. Zaeed is also one of the only characters who it makes sense that he would follow you on a suicide mission. When you talk to him, you find out that he has been on plenty of "suicide missons" before and has proven himself as a survivor. Why wouldn't you want a guy with a badass accent and proven track record of surviving the unsurviable on your team? 

PS, I am "waxing goddamn nostalgia" about how awesome Zaeed is.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rowr

Whats wrong with his loyalty mission?

I thought it was one of the best in the game.

Boo hoo i had to make a hard decision?

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I really like Zaeed!

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Teran
    @Babymauler:  The conversation may be one sided, but that's hardly worse than most of the conversations you can have which generally have 2 possible outcomes.  What he says is more interesting than just about everyone else... he's also got some of the best lines in the game while you're running missions.  

I never left home without him if I was going up against mercenaries... he pegs that eclipse murdering bitch perfectly during Samara's recruitment after she freaks out and tries to play innocent he says something like:  "That's an eclipse uniform isn't it?  Up against the wall, now." 

He sees right through her deception and almost casually tells her to prepare for execution.
    JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JWawin

He was a solid addition to Mass Effect! 

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

his stories are awesome, and he has some of the best quotes too

nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nethanel

He is the only NPC squad member with disruptor ammo so he can be useful, but he didn't have enough depth as a character. Not being able to talk to him on the ship sucked

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By EvilDingo
    @nethanel said:
    " He is the only NPC squad member with disruptor ammo so he can be useful, but he didn't have enough depth as a character. Not being able to talk to him on the ship sucked "
    Especially since he has the most awesome voice in the game...  

I like him generally though. 
    I used him frequently in my first two playthroughs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.