Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

AMA: Mass Effect 3 demo + thoughts

• 125 results
    ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By ShadyPingu

Okay, got a code off of Twitter and played the demo. Some thoughts:

• A lot more dynamic conversations with people moving and taking action. If Bioware is diversifying from from the shoulders-up 3/4 view, then it should make dialogue a lot more fun to look at.
    • Also, a lot of Shepard just saying stuff without me choosing it. I'm all for this. Making the player choose every line, even the most insignificant ones, just highlighted the hollowness of the whole system. I'm okay with fewer actual choices if scenes are more fluid as a result.
    • Cover is still too sticky, and it's still a pain to navigate through spaces with a lot of furniture, etc., especially when under fire. Plenty of times when I just couldn't navigate around a corner smoothly and ended up getting shot.
    • The thing with the little boy was unsubtle and waaaay on the nose. For shame, Bioware.
    • Vanguard continues to be rad. My Charge detonated Liara's Singularity. I don't think it did that in ME2, but feel free to correct me. Excited to try out the other classes.
    • Skill tree branches have me salivating just from looking at them. I already have my Vanguard build planned out, for some reason.

All in all, exactly what I expected it to be from preview coverage and footage. Which is a good thing. March 6th (my birthday) can't come soon enough.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By masternater27

My thoughts: I might actually be able to complete an insanity run with a vanguard with the new powers now.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Aetheldod

2 days and couldn´t get a friggin code T_T , so cant play the demo , I´ll have to wait 1 day more

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By Aetheldod

@Marz: Oh thank you thank you for the vid :D .... the game looks so friggin awesome and better than 1 and 2 !!!!! And I loved those 2 a lot.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By Sackmanjones

@Dany said:

So fucking excited for Clint Mansell.

That is fucking awesome. Well I haven't played the demo yet but ME is my favorite franchise to come out of this generation and to see the reception of the demo overall great I'm feeling much better about ME3. I also like the fact that the collectors edition comes with the soundtrack cause if this is the demo music I cant wait to see whats in store from Mr. Mansell.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By kishinfoulux

Replayed the demo taking the things I learned into consideration. Enjoyed it much more this time. Camera still bugs me but I'll adjust I suppose. You seem to level up really fast. Gained like 2 levels just in that short section. Hopefully carrying only two weapons will drastically shorten the biotic power recharge times.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#107  Edited By Vinny_Says

I'm guessing no but I'll ask anyway....can the demo allow you to import your ME2 dude?

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ShadyPingu

@Vinny_Says: Nope.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By hoossy

you don't tell a femshep that she is getting soft around the edges.... rude

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By CaptainCharisma

@Encephalon said:

• Also, a lot of Shepard just saying stuff without me choosing it. I'm all for this. Making the player choose every line, even the most insignificant ones, just highlighted the hollowness of the whole system. I'm okay with fewer actual choices if scenes are more fluid as a result.

Gotta disagree with you there. I'd hate when that used to happen in 2. Oh well guess I gotta deal with it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By Sooty
    @withateethuh said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Everyone complaining about graphics and animation: it's an old build, wait and see on that stuff. (this isn't a "oh my god don't bash my Mass Effect waaaah" comment, just mentioning the fact that this appears to be the E3 demo, and E3 was quite a while ago.)

Very true. Its probably atleast 2 months old (has to go through certification for microsoft and sony well in advance) and polish is always the last step in game development. BF3 had a lot of problems in the beta that werent in the final release, and that came out a month before release.

The BF3 beta was way more than 2 months old though, iirc that build was from like May and released in June/July so by release it was definitely getting on. I do hope the final game cleans up the visuals and framerate a little, especially dem menus, levelling up was painfully slow!
    GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By GS_Dan
    @Sooty BF3 was also a beta, not a demo :/
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Sooty
    @GS_Dan said:

@Sooty BF3 was also a beta, not a demo :/

This is also true and makes me doubt the demo being that old, but I do seriously doubt the full game will be the same as the demo. There's surely no way the full game will have them laggy menus.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By niamahai

finally played it and... its ME2 all right. no complains there. The tingle at the title screen akin to ME1 was a great touch.

For some strange reason i am looking forward to play the MP in this. The core shooting have been improved to make it.. workable.. in MP situation.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

@david3cm said:

The demo didn't leave a great taste in my mouth. I enjoyed the shooting and the new level up system seems pretty neat, but I wasn't a fan of how melodramatic the intro felt, seemed like they ran a few things by Michael Bay during the development process. But I am still hopeful for the final product, I realize that having a demo that takes place on the Normady and consists of you going through dialogue trees for an hour isn't a great promotional move, but it is what I would have liked in a demo.

When it's giant machines from outer space invading the Earth with the aim to kill everyone and you're the only person who can stop them I think an explosive Michael Bay intro is the perfect way to do this.

Chindie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#116  Edited By Chindie

Got a code through ExpertZone.

To be perfectly honest, its not earth shattering. It's very much an evolution of what we've seen already in ME2. Somehow, and I don't know if this is just because I'm thinking back to ME2 with rose tinted glasses, it didn't look as good as it's predecessor. I hope thats just an error on my part. It felt a lot heavier, movement more awkward than I remember in 2.

And the camera annoyed me, it feels to close to the character model, I never felt comfortable with it.

But hopefully that'll improve with the retail release - regardless, I'm a day one buyer.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Sooty
    @Chindie said:

To be perfectly honest, its not earth shattering. It's very much an evolution of what we've seen already in ME2. Somehow, and I don't know if this is just because I'm thinking back to ME2 with rose tinted glasses, it didn't look as good as it's predecessor. I hope thats just an error on my part. It felt a lot heavier, movement more awkward than I remember in 2.

And the camera annoyed me, it feels to close to the character model, I never felt comfortable with it.

But hopefully that'll improve with the retail release - regardless, I'm a day one buyer.

You're not alone, it definitely looks worse than 2.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Vinny_Says

The demo is cool and all but it means nothing to me because Wrex ain't supposed to be there, he dead! I understand that doint a demo with your custom shepard is extremely hard but it would have been much better at wetting your appetite for ME3 and would have brought on a lot more discussion around the interwebs.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#119  Edited By Commisar123

Well this looks like a ME game...I guess that's good

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#121  Edited By Evilmetal

is it the Mordin voice from ME2? or a new voice?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Sooty said:

@Chindie said:

You're not alone, it definitely looks worse than 2.

The second level looks fine...but that first one...man that looks rough.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Teran

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Yeah and the rifle spread is super tight, I don't remember it being that accurate in past games. I can go full auto and it's super easy to control the recoil, even on a gamepad. Also, there being no good full beards in this game is a major disappointment.

It depended on the rifle.

J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By J0n3s1

The athmosphere was awesome, I liked the new, more fluid conversations, voice acting was good for the most part (The defence council... Good thing they didn't live for longer than 2 minutes), music was really good especially the ending song on the earth, some animations were dated and admiral Anderson's running animation looked f*cking hilarious.

But what the h*ll, why can't Shepard crouch? I died 3 or 4 times because the commander would just stand he's head up while turrets were shooting at him!

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#125  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@Evilmetal: I think it's been said he has a new voice actor... sounded the same, or at least I thought it sounded like mordin and fit mordin perfectly etc. I've played me2 a bunch, as have many others, so I don't think it's a case of me just not having exposure to me2 mordin for a while etc

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.