Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Dr. Ray addresses concerns on Mass Effect 3's ending

• 189 results
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By UnrealDP

@Oldirtybearon said:

@CaptainCharisma said:

Don't bother. Butthurt bitches are butthurt because we didn't give up and made Bioware see how badly they hurt a lot of their fans.

Christ.... That's a, uh, really special sentence you wrote there... Keep up the good work, mate....

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I wonder how much DLC content they actually change due to reaction.... My hope is honestly none of it

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By SlightConfuse

@Arker101: whoa that really awesome how gearbox was able to take feedback constructible. more devs need something like that

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#154  Edited By MEATBALL

I just hope anything they release related to the ending winds up free, I don't think the Internet could handle the response if they charge for it.

Personally, I liked the ending I got, even if it did have some plot holes and failed to take into account my prior decisions. I enjoyed what it meant for some of the characters in particular and the universe as a whole. I'm not particularly concerned by some of what I would consider more "minor" details. I came away from it happy with the trilogy and the game. Maybe that makes me a crazy person (or just one with terrible taste, I did love Dragon Age II)

Completely respect why people wouldn't enjoy the ending and understand their problems with it, the furore over it has seemed way too intense, though. Bioware have become a really really weird lightning rod for Internet anger.

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By CaptainCharisma

@UnrealDP said:

@CaptainCharisma said:

@UnrealDP said:

Cool, the internet overreacted and cried, so now they're pandering to those who took it too far. Awesome! Maybe I'm overreacting and they're not doing that much, but it still sucks that these guys feel the need to bend to the wym of the worst parts of the internet instead of standing by their product and its quality. I feel like everyone's been saying this, but why should I care about your game if you don't have the confidence to stand by it and up to the internet and its prominent assholes?

Oh well. Hopefully the other not ending related content is good.

Since when does the worst part of the internet protest by donating to the Child's Play charity to raise $75,000 in a two week time span?

The same part that feels entitled enough to demand a change in an artists vision simply because "We don't like this part!" It's entitlement at it's worst and that charity thing felt like a dirty ploy. It's totally like taking a hostage. The only reason they did that was to have something to hold over Bioware's head when issuing these insane demands. Donating to charity is cool and it's cool to see someone get something out of this shitty situation, but, like I said, that charity thing felt super dirty and it was more like taking a hostage.

They only started the charity because sites like IGN and Kotaku were calling them all entitled brats. I know I wont change your opinion but if you read the main forum you can see they were glad they they could show their discontent by donating rather than spamming message boards. I wouldn't say it was like taking a hostage but I'm glad video games made people passionate about something and they tried to do something constructive while some sites were looking down on them and lumping them all as whiny brats. Whiny brats don't make 70 grand for charity.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Karkarov

The indoctrination theory is pure nonsense, the game itself can confirm this in a number of ways. Either way it is nice to see them throwing out this post and saying they plan to add some clarification. What I like most is he said he plans to stick to the artistic view of the people who already made the game and how they wont respond to non constructive feedback. If they want to clarify the endings or touch things up great, but I don't see a need for a completely new ending.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#157  Edited By Milkman

@Brodehouse said:

@Milkman

Fucking ridiculous. All this does is prove that Roger Ebert is right. Art doesn't change because of an internet nerd circle jerk. Art is the work of the creator and the creator only. And this proves that video games are most certainly not that. This industry just got set back further than it already was so grats, internet?

Movies get recut, I guess movies aren't art. Standups modify or cut bits depending on the audience, I guess that's not art. Bands will change songs to get rid of parts that maybe aren't as good. A little realism and experience.

What movie do you know of that got its ending modified because of internet petitions?

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By matiaz_tapia

Yes.... Arguments!! the internet is stupid! I'm part of the internet and I'll get involved in the same kind of stupid rhetoric while denying my own involvement into something I'm obviously a part of ! People are stupid, cause everyone knows, I'm an Alien, not a peoples! BioWare caved in! It's a shame to the medium! Death to the whiners! Death to those who don't whine! Entitlement! ( the new buzz word!) Artistic visions compromised! We are all doomed! Now we are whining too, but not about the ending, but the possible changes to the ending ( which is basically the same as complaining about the ending)!!

And while all this happens, nobody is saying that ending was good.

it' a shame how it happen but...Some of you where hoping for it, letting those people act like monkeys so your hands would be clean of the shit then tossed all over the place. Then you can sit comfortably on your high horse, while you check the changes to the ending anyways.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#159  Edited By Arker101

@Sooty said:

@Arker101 said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Good on them for addresing the issue. But like i keep saying, if this will be a free change i'd be allright with that. If they decide to charge for a DLC that fixes that ending, i for one will not buy it and it will likely affect all my further purchasing decisions when it comes to Bioware from then onward, not in a positive way. Charging for said changes will also cause yet another monumental internet outrage, probably even greater then the current one was.

The worst case scenario is they release this as $10 premium ending DLC and that enough people buy it to start a trend of releasing the real ending to your game later on. Publishers would love to jump on that.

Without a doubt this will happen and the same people that bought the ending will probably moan about it when other games do it, claiming they didn't mind it because they loved the Mass Effect series, well guess what, some people like other games too. Doesn't mean they should have to pay more money to see the ending.

Just look at how much emphasis is put on DLC now, compared to a few years ago. Pre-order bonuses, day one DLC, DLC tied to online passes...it's ridiculous. Publishers would fucking love conclusive evidence that shows people will pay for DLC endings.

I also feel like there is still a barrier to the Day One DLC and Preorder Bonus, where they won't release anything meaningful for fear of backlash, but if this is successful I'm afraid we'll start seeing things that matter to the core of a game stripped out and released as DLC. I don't want to see a "From Ashes" (except worse) trend either. I hope publishers fear the outrage more then they want the profits on both of these deals, but it just seems easy for all games to start doing these things, and people seem willing to shell out even more dough for a $60+ game they just bought.

If I went back in time right after ME2 was released and told people that ME3 would have a Prothean Squadmate as day one DLC, and that the ending would be controversially bad, to the point where Bioware might release paid DLC for people to buy, I would be banned for trolling.

EDIT: Not to mention the Tali stock photo thing and the ending scenes were from a google image search, and the list of other things.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By UnrealDP

@CaptainCharisma said:

@UnrealDP said:

@CaptainCharisma said:

@UnrealDP said:

Cool, the internet overreacted and cried, so now they're pandering to those who took it too far. Awesome! Maybe I'm overreacting and they're not doing that much, but it still sucks that these guys feel the need to bend to the wym of the worst parts of the internet instead of standing by their product and its quality. I feel like everyone's been saying this, but why should I care about your game if you don't have the confidence to stand by it and up to the internet and its prominent assholes?

Oh well. Hopefully the other not ending related content is good.

Since when does the worst part of the internet protest by donating to the Child's Play charity to raise $75,000 in a two week time span?

The same part that feels entitled enough to demand a change in an artists vision simply because "We don't like this part!" It's entitlement at it's worst and that charity thing felt like a dirty ploy. It's totally like taking a hostage. The only reason they did that was to have something to hold over Bioware's head when issuing these insane demands. Donating to charity is cool and it's cool to see someone get something out of this shitty situation, but, like I said, that charity thing felt super dirty and it was more like taking a hostage.

They only started the charity because sites like IGN and Kotaku were calling them all entitled brats. I know I wont change your opinion but if you read the main forum you can see they were glad they they could show their discontent by donating rather than spamming message boards. I wouldn't say it was like taking a hostage but I'm glad video games made people passionate about something and they tried to do something constructive while some sites were looking down on them and lumping them all as whiny brats. Whiny brats don't make 70 grand for charity.

I think it's great to have people donate to charity instead of just sitting around posting on a message board, but it still doesn't change the part where people feel entitled enough to change someones art. The ending to Mass Effect 3 is objectively bad. It's not a cold hard fact that the ending is bad and there are tons of people who enjoyed it. The Bioware guys made the ending of that game what it was because they thought it was the right way for it to end. It's not a problem to be fixed. It's like if I wrote to a baker to make his chocolate cake vanilla because I didn't like it. The charity thing is cool, but the entitled jerks who feel they can bully Bioware into changing the ending are not. Whiny brats aren't characterized by whether or not they donated to charity.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By EXTomar

The issue seems to be manifold:

1. The endings aren't clear. Many people go "What just happened?" where just myself and friends had to discuss exactly what Bioware was trying to tell us. The idea that Shepard delivers salvation to the universe by hitting a giant reset button is fine idea for an ending. What Bioware showed us did a pretty poor job telling us that without additional introspection.
    2. For a game about making lot of hard choices in a lot of difficult situation, the biggest choice at the most difficult moment seems to be limited. If there was a moment to pull out all of the stops and make a grand demonstration of their design, the end moment should have been it. It feels like they completely missed their moment of glory to get to "The End" placard.
    3. The chance for other endings seems to be lost. Without getting spoilery, depending on how Shepard is played he might have other tools to use at the end which aren't considered. Shepard is built as the character who is constantly coming up with improbable solutions to impossible to solve problems and having them work. The three endings we got were more or less "straight lines" and loses this element of Shepard.

To be clear I don't think Bioware owes anyone a new ending but I also fervently believe we as people who bought the game have a right to say "That was kind of badly done". And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy a new ending either. At this point I think they should just take the lessons learned and move onto their next project.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By wardcleaver

@Pinworm45 said:

@wardcleaver said:

I will lose respect for them if they change the ending due to a small, but vocal, minority who are complaining. If they want to add DLC to "clarify" the ending, I am fine with that, although I think it is unnecessary.

Please prove that it's a small minority. Every poll I've ever seen puts it at the vast, vast majority disliking the ending.

To be clear, I am not talking about those who simply dislike the ending, but about those who are demanding that it be changed.

As of today, the Chipin fund, according to their website, http://retakemasseffect.chipin.com/retake-mass-effect-childs-play,

has collected money from 3911 contributors. Compare that to the 3.5 million copies shipped as of 3/9. Unless my public school math is off, that is less than 1%. Even if you went by the number of "likes" on their FB page, you would only bring that number up to around 2%.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#163  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@GunslingerPanda said:

@HubrisRanger said:

@GunslingerPanda

Get ready to pay extra for the ending! That brings the price of the full game up to what? £60?

Mass Effect 4 will be the first single-player game with a monthly subscription. You'll pay £40 for the base game (Chapter 1) and then £15 a month for a new chapter a month after that. And you idiots will eat that shit up and declare Bioware to be visionaries.

You say that like a threat. If the content level matched the asking price, episodic ME content would be fantastic.

Why don't you just walk into the Bioware offices, strip off, and bend over for them then?

Every adventure game is the worst now because if you buy into their episodic content you are destroying video games. The structure of an ME would have to change to make it episodic which they would be allowed to do because Shepard's story is ostensibly over so it can be conceivable that not only would an episodic ME can work but may in fact be a good thing. 5 chapters in a ME story isn't necessarily 5 missions that last 30min to an hour. It can be 2-5 hours per episode coming up to 10-25 hours for $10 a chapter $40-$60 bundled. Longer than most other games out there. ME4 episodic adventure might not even be a RPG. Don't just assume that someone thinking that episodic content can be a good thing is someone who enjoys being sodomized by evil corporations.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#164  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@wardcleaver said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@wardcleaver said:

I will lose respect for them if they change the ending due to a small, but vocal, minority who are complaining. If they want to add DLC to "clarify" the ending, I am fine with that, although I think it is unnecessary.

Please prove that it's a small minority. Every poll I've ever seen puts it at the vast, vast majority disliking the ending.

To be clear, I am not talking about those who simply dislike the ending, but about those who are demanding that it be changed.

As of today, the Chipin fund, according to their website, http://retakemasseffect.chipin.com/retake-mass-effect-childs-play,

has collected money from 3911 contributors. Compare that to the 3.5 million copies shipped as of 3/9. Unless my public school math is off, that is less than 1%. Even if you went by the number of "likes" on their FB page, you would only bring that number up to around 2%.

Also polls tend to be answered by the people who care the most which was stated in my Statistics class. People angry at BioWare over the ending would probably make up most of the polls.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Milkman
    @SeriouslyNow
    @Milkman said:

@SeriouslyNow: How could he not hate his audience after all this bullshit? It's an embarrassment for all involved.

You know that Bladerunner has gone through multiple cuts for the fans against Studio wishes, right?  Ryan is a movie person and he should know better. 
    The Blade Runner recuts were bullshit corporate decisions that damaged the integrity of the original film. So, maybe not the best analogy.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Milkman
    @Napalm
    @Milkman said:

Fucking ridiculous. All this does is prove that Roger Ebert is right. Art doesn't change because of an internet nerd circle jerk. Art is the work of the creator and the creator only. And this proves that video games are most certainly not that. This industry just got set back further than it already was so grats, internet?

Yeah, except when you know, budgets and time constraints come in and muck the whole thing up. Yeah, totally art, bro. Technically, they already changed the ending the first time since the leak, so your point is pretty much null and void.
    Endings change all the time. But not weeks after release and not because of ridiculous nerd rage. Compromising an artistic vision for the sake of an extremely loud and obnoxious vocal minority fucking sucks. Period.
    Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#167  Edited By Matterless

Wildly flashing spoiler siren: Here's a video breaking down/consolidating various ID theories. Wouldn't it be "funny" if all of the things (legitimate and ticky alike) being complained about regarding the ending were completely planned? http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/03/indoctrination-theory-proof-of-me3-ending-dlc/

It would be great to have some sort of spoilercast or a GB call-in radio show where the mythology and plotlines could be brainstormed a bit, as much as I'll miss Brad's contributions. Just a thought.

EDIT: Oh, and here's the 22-minute indoctrination "evidence" video referenced in the link above http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#168  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Shepard was dreaming the entire time, and then he wakes up, queue 3-4 $10 DLC packs, and Mass Effect 4 is announced.

wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#169  Edited By wsowen02

Really don't understand the "sky is falling, it's the end of the world as we know it" attitude from both sides of this thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Milkman

@Brodehouse said:

@Milkman

Movies get recut, I guess movies aren't art. Standups modify or cut bits depending on the audience, I guess that's not art. Bands will change songs to get rid of parts that maybe aren't as good. A little realism and experience.

What movie do you know of that got its ending modified because of internet petitions?

What does is matter if the audience reacted on the Internet, in the theater, in the focus group, or in writing? There's no difference between a petition and an Internet petition; they're petitions.

What's the difference if a suit says "change that" or if an audience says it? Nothing. This idea of the artist as existing in a vacuum is complete romanticism. That's not even how it worked in Michelangelo's day.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#171  Edited By MildMolasses

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Milkman said:

@SeriouslyNow: How could he not hate his audience after all this bullshit? It's an embarrassment for all involved.

You know that Bladerunner has gone through multiple cuts for the fans against Studio wishes, right? Ryan is a movie person and he should know better.

There's a difference between a director restoring his work to his initial vision after the studio forced cuts on it's original theatrical release and what is being asked for here. There's a reason they're called Director's Cuts. It's getting back to how it used to be before outside factors got involved. If Bioware does change the ending, then we are getting a watered down, focus tested version, not the one that they intended

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By napalm
    @Milkman said:
     Compromising an artistic vision for the sake of an extremely loud and obnoxious vocal minority fucking sucks. Period.
    You've been looking at the wrong side and the wrong people, so fuck off.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Pinworm45

@Enigma777 said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Enigma777 said:

So Bioware caved-in to a bunch of whiny crybabies?

Wow...

So Bioware is listening to their large fanbase and maybe improving their product? Who the fuck would have thought.

So Dioware didn't stick to their vision and bend over backwards for a few trolls? Who the fuck would have thought.

A "few trolls"? There's tons, TONS of people who hated the ending. How are they trolling? They're pretty sincere about it. I know I am.

Did they "not stick to their vision" when someone during QA says "hey man, this part here, this isn't really working", and then they changed it? Did they not stick to their vision during any of the rewrites? fixes or balance changes?

They originally didn't envision tali or garrus being romance options. Did they "bend over backwards" and destroy their artistic integrity when they gave in and let people have those options in Mass Effect 2?

"Tons" of people on the internet = a small minority at best. Just because they're loud doesn't mean there's a lot of 'em. Most people who have played the game have no idea there's any controversy at all.

Also there's a HUGE difference between changing stuff while the game is still being developed and retrofitting it based on fan "wishes"

Citation needed.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Pinworm45

@wsowen02 said:

Really don't understand the "sky is falling, it's the end of the world as we know it" attitude from both sides of this thing.

I see it far more from the apologists than the people who just hated the ending. If you try and talk about how you think the ending kinda sucked, you're immediately labeled an entitled whiny bitch. It's completely retarded. Yes, there's retards on both sides, no doubt, but one side is trying to express their opinion and frustration, while the other is attacking that side, not trying to discuss or understand. Hell, the "dislike" side has even tried hard to be constructive, and get away from this typical internet shit, by turning it into something productive via the charity.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Pinworm45 said:

@wsowen02 said:

I see it far more from the apologists than the people who just hated the ending. If you try and talk about how you think the ending kinda sucked, you're immediately labeled an entitled whiny bitch. It's completely retarded. Yes, there's retards on both sides, no doubt, but one side is trying to express their opinion and frustration, while the other is attacking that side, not trying to discuss or understand. Hell, the "dislike" side has even tried hard to be constructive, and get away from this typical internet shit, by turning it into something productive via the charity.

I just want to rage and be a real dick to people who keep bringing shit like this up:

@Napalm said:

@Milkman said:
    Compromising an artistic vision for the sake of an extremely loud and obnoxious vocal minority fucking sucks. Period.
    You've been looking at the wrong side and the wrong people, so fuck off.

But I don't, because you and are doing a fantastic job explaining in a calm and rational manner. Keep up the good work.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By napalm
    @Oldirtybearon: Man, I really am, at this point, just so sick of tired of talking about this and being lambasted for it, and being assumed that I am being loud and obnoxious for no good reason. There's been too much tumultuous development, and the changing of creative hands for any side to truly say what was part of the Bioware's "creative" intent. I happen to feel that BioWare severely dropped the ball in more ways than one on this, and I am being very vocal about how I would be willing to fork over a little bit of money to see them try and fix this incoherent mess of an ending, especially for one that not only I, but many others happen to have a very hefty emotional investment in. I do this because I give a shit and I want BioWare to nail it, which they very clearly missed on their first go around.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Napalm said:

@Oldirtybearon: Man, I really am, at this point, just so sick of tired of talking about this and being lambasted for it, and being assumed that I am being loud and obnoxious for no good reason. There's been too much tumultuous development, and the changing of creative hands for any side to truly say what was part of the Bioware's "creative" intent. I happen to feel that BioWare severely dropped the ball in more ways than one on this, and I am being very vocal about how I would be willing to fork over a little bit of money to see them try and fix this incoherent mess of an ending, especially for one that not only I, but many others happen to have a very hefty emotional investment in. I do this because I give a shit and I want BioWare to nail it, which they very clearly missed on their first go around.

Preaching to the choir. It's amazing that people can be so inept when it comes to this very basic concept. The Bombsquad in particular don't seem to "get it," either. Mass Effect was a very big deal for a large group of people. On the level, or surpassing that of the sci-fi titans like Star Trek and Star Wars. Now that we've finally won and have shown that when you're loud enough, vocal enough, you can actually do something about a shitty ending to an amazing series, it makes me wonder why others aren't supportive of the endeavour.

And there is precedent for this. Whether it's clarification of an ending in terms of the PoP 2008 Epilogue DLC, or Broken Steel for Fallout 3, there is a precedent set for when a developer goofs on the big finish, that they can be coerced into going back and fixing it. That's all anyone who is passionate about Mass Effect wants - a proper send off to a trilogy that has defined what this medium can accomplish with enough know how and big brass balls.

But apparently we're entitled cunts. Which is funny, considering these same people are the ones constantly bitching about how George Lucas has ruined Star Wars by absolutely refusing to go back and give the fans what they want. You know, the original movies.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@shway said:

too little to late?

It's only been two weeks, dummy.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By napalm
    @Oldirtybearon said:

And there is precedent for this. Whether it's clarification of an ending in terms of the PoP 2008 Epilogue DLC, or Broken Steel for Fallout 3, there is a precedent set for when a developer goofs on the big finish, that they can be coerced into going back and fixing it. That's all anyone who is passionate about Mass Effect wants - a proper send off to a trilogy that has defined what this medium can accomplish with enough know how and big brass balls.

But apparently we're entitled cunts. Which is funny, considering these same people are the ones constantly bitching about how George Lucas has ruined Star Wars by absolutely refusing to go back and give the fans what they want. You know, the original movies.

Well, there is precedent, but lets not think that all developers need to do this. Mass Effect, for me at least, is a rare breed. I can't really think of any other franchise that I give a shit this much about. Well, I can, but not for story purposes. It can be a fine line to walk, but I don't think this incident should be categorized with those, because the game has an ending, no matter how crappy or quickly it happens, it still has an end.
    TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By TheCowman

Speaking of Mass Effect 4, I had a thought the other day about what the next Mass Effect game could be. Imagine a Privateer-like game where you create a character and then make his fortune in any way you wish. Choose from Salarian, Turian, Asari, Krogan, or Human. Heck, you could even throw in a Volus if you wanted to go really nuts.

In the aftermath of ME3's ending (whatever that ending may end up being) the galaxy is rebuilding. A perfect atmosphere for an ambitious freelancer to make their fortune. Will you be a lawful merchant, a roguish smuggler, a ruthless drug/slave dealer; it's all up to you.

Build partnerships and collect allies as your influence and bank account grow. I think this would be a great twist on the series, keeping much of the dialog heavy focus of Mass Effect while injecting some more RPG-like customization as well. Plus, with smaller ships, maybe you could even try some space combat. That's something we haven't seen in awhile.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#181  Edited By haggis

"That's all anyone who is passionate about Mass Effect wants - a proper send off to a trilogy that has defined what this medium can accomplish with enough know how and big brass balls.But apparently we're entitled cunts."

Not to be harsh about it, but ... yes (though I wouldn't use that particular word). Pretty much. It's the demand that's the problem. The FTC complaint. That sort of thing. And the obvious sense of righteous anger at Bioware, who clearly thought the ending was good. And not everyone disagrees with them. Not all the critics of the ending sound entitled, but a good portion of them do.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#182  Edited By Hailinel
    @Pinworm45

@wsowen02 said:

But the charity involvement doesn't absolve people from criticism.
    C_Cage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By C_Cage

@wardcleaver: Except every poll on the internet, big or small, no matter what site, comes to the same result; the majority voted that they disliked it. For any one to ignore this trend or even a poll of 40000 people are just being wilfully blind. The critics and the people who like the ending are the minority here. I find it strange that barely any of the official game critics even mentioned the inherent flaws in the ending in the first place.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#184  Edited By Tylea002

The Gaming Industry has thrived on patches, DLC, post-release support, additions and fixes. People have been trained to expect patches, updates, fixes and more content from games. If they didn't want to set the precedent that gamers could expect that, then they should have stuck with the game in the box being the game, and that being that. If gameplay is broken, it gets fixed. If graphics are broken, it gets fixed. I'm not saying that story should be changed too, I'm remaining out of the actual issue, but saying that gamers are entitled when every other area of gaming has trained them to expect this post-release statement is a bit like having your cake and eating it. It's extremely easy to see where the displeasure comes from.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By clstirens

@Pinworm45 said:

@wsowen02 said:

This. This entirely.

I haven't played ME3, but I do not like how the debate has essentially a group of people who are actively insulting and bashing anyone who is dissatisfied with the ending.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Milkman said:
    @SeriouslyNow
    @Milkman said:

You know that Bladerunner has gone through multiple cuts for the fans against Studio wishes, right?  Ryan is a movie person and he should know better. 
    The Blade Runner recuts were bullshit corporate decisions that damaged the integrity of the original film. So, maybe not the best analogy.
    I think you need think more about ME2 and 3's development history. 

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Napalm said:

@Oldirtybearon: Man, I really am, at this point, just so sick of tired of talking about this and being lambasted for it, and being assumed that I am being loud and obnoxious for no good reason. There's been too much tumultuous development, and the changing of creative hands for any side to truly say what was part of the Bioware's "creative" intent. I happen to feel that BioWare severely dropped the ball in more ways than one on this, and I am being very vocal about how I would be willing to fork over a little bit of money to see them try and fix this incoherent mess of an ending, especially for one that not only I, but many others happen to have a very hefty emotional investment in. I do this because I give a shit and I want BioWare to nail it, which they very clearly missed on their first go around.

Preaching to the choir. It's amazing that people can be so inept when it comes to this very basic concept. The Bombsquad in particular don't seem to "get it," either. Mass Effect was a very big deal for a large group of people. On the level, or surpassing that of the sci-fi titans like Star Trek and Star Wars. Now that we've finally won and have shown that when you're loud enough, vocal enough, you can actually do something about a shitty ending to an amazing series, it makes me wonder why others aren't supportive of the endeavour.

I think the Bombsquad gets it, individually, but collectively they still side very squarely on the side of the industry because they collectively work on the side of the industry.  Given enough time all of the squad, save possibly for Ryan, will eventually come clean about what they don't like or feel was a debacle after the fact with regards to this industry's many failings (including this most recent ME3 fan shafting).  If I was to be entirely cynical I would say that they often won't come out and say something is bad until the release window has closed (roughly 6weeks to 3 months after launch) unless it's a particularly poor showing, like Duke Nukem Forever.  But I'm not that cynical really.  I just want to be able to have a discussion about what I do or don't like without some kid telling me I'm 'entitled' (the phrase is falsely entitled you dickheads) or that Brian Fargo is a 'douche'.  It may be a sign of the times, but frankly, I think it's also a comment on how poorly many of industry pundits are educating the younger audiences with regards to the history of this industry and the consumer rights we all have.
    TheBostonPops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By TheBostonPops

@clstirens said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@wsowen02 said:

This. This entirely.

I haven't played ME3, but I do not like how the debate has essentially a group of people who are actively insulting and bashing anyone who is dissatisfied with the ending.

I don't know, I thought the ending was fine and I don't think people are being "whiny bitches" by hating it. I can very easily see why people hate it, but I personally felt it fit within the narrative that Bioware was crafting.

That said, I welcome DLC to expand on the ending, as I felt it was a little brief, but not backtrack on it. What's done is done.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#188  Edited By JasonR86

So I finally beat the game and, you know what, I was totally fine with the ending. I thought it fit fine with the previous game's stories and the universe's history. Plus, it was a cool take on how evolution and the 'cycles' of that galaxy work and can change. Yeah, I kind of wish they explained who the catalyst AI was (who created it, why it need a 'solution' in the first place, etc.) and I thought using the crucible/catalyst to deal with the reapers was kind of an easy way to deal with a huge enemy. BUT, I think I'm almost just as fine without knowing all the answers and having to discuss what could have happened after the ending. I thought it was fine.

Know that I've finished the game I can finally say, officially, that the people who freaked out about the ending are fucking crazy.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By napalm

@SeriouslyNow: Exactly! I have nothing more to say on this. I just want to see what downloadable content they are working on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.