Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Going Dark on Mass Effect 3

someguy890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By someguy890

Mass Effect 2 was Awesome and so were its trailers. But did they reveal too much about the game? Maybe. 

Throughout most of the ending I couldn't help but  notice every 'trailer shot.' . If I hadn't watched the trailers, alot of the reveals would have been more effective. I'll put them in spoilers, since this game is about to come out on ps3.

-Shepard dies in the beginning 
    - Normandy is destroyed. 
    -Archangel being Garrus 
    -Tali returning 
    -A full preview of every new squad member including... 
    -Legion. A geth. Fighting on your side  
    -And then most of the cut-scenes from the Suicide Mission. 

Would I have enjoyed the game more if I didn't know these things going in? Probably. I wouldn't say it ruined my experiance, but I certainly couldn't help but notice this.  

So, for Mass Effect 3 I'm going to try something new. I've seen the reveal trailer, and that's all I'm going to see. I am going to try and stay away from every preview, screenshot and trailer for this game. This will be difficult. Living in this era, we expect all information instantly. The 5 minutes of so from when people saying the trailer was on the VGA's, to it being uploaded on to gametrailers.com, seemed like an age. So seeing a Mass Effect 3 preview and not reading it will test  the willpower. 
    I might fail, but why not at least try?

Have any of you ever tried this? Succeeded at it? And if so, does it improve the experiance of playing the game?
    someguy890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By someguy890

Mass Effect 2 was Awesome and so were its trailers. But did they reveal too much about the game? Maybe. 

Throughout most of the ending I couldn't help but  notice every 'trailer shot.' . If I hadn't watched the trailers, alot of the reveals would have been more effective. I'll put them in spoilers, since this game is about to come out on ps3.

-Shepard dies in the beginning 
    - Normandy is destroyed. 
    -Archangel being Garrus 
    -Tali returning 
    -A full preview of every new squad member including... 
    -Legion. A geth. Fighting on your side  
    -And then most of the cut-scenes from the Suicide Mission. 

Would I have enjoyed the game more if I didn't know these things going in? Probably. I wouldn't say it ruined my experiance, but I certainly couldn't help but notice this.  

So, for Mass Effect 3 I'm going to try something new. I've seen the reveal trailer, and that's all I'm going to see. I am going to try and stay away from every preview, screenshot and trailer for this game. This will be difficult. Living in this era, we expect all information instantly. The 5 minutes of so from when people saying the trailer was on the VGA's, to it being uploaded on to gametrailers.com, seemed like an age. So seeing a Mass Effect 3 preview and not reading it will test  the willpower. 
    I might fail, but why not at least try?

Have any of you ever tried this? Succeeded at it? And if so, does it improve the experiance of playing the game?
    aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By aleryn

Just keep at it.  The more you "Go Dark" on upcoming releases of games, movies... anything - the easier it will be to stick to it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I won't be able to physically withstand from watching any and all ME3 trailers that are released.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I'm with you on this one, so many more of ME2's moments could have been jaw dropping - if I'd just not spoiled them for myself. 
    Like you said, nothing felt ruined but not knowing would have been SO much better. After I learned about the intro scene of ME2 - and then actually played it, I decided I'd try to stay uninformed of ME3's events. Good luck on your end.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

My policy of not watching trailers or reading previews and interviews before a game is released, is going to serve me well when it comes to ME3. I've found that avoiding this type of coverage has really increased the impact of games.

For example, I didn't know anything about "No Russian" before I played MW2. There were a good 10 seconds there where I was physically unable to move, because I had to process what was going on. Of course I had the advantage of living in the Middle East at the time, far away from the culture that gave a shit.

So I fully support your move to go dark. It's better in the matinée, the dark of the matinée.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @nintendoeats said:

"It's better in the matinée, the dark of the matinée. "

Look at that, a Franz Ferdinand reference.

Anyway, I've gone dark on games before, it's perfectly possible and I believe it's more rewarding in the long run. It won't make the game amazingly better but I believe it definitely adds something. I think I'm probably going to go dark on Mass Effect 3 as well, I also felt that I learned a little too much from the Mass Effect 2 trailers and news, especially considering that there were such dramatic events happening right from the start. Oh and duder, your spoiler tag is open.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pinworm45

I really want to do this, because the ME2 launch trailer, as amazing as it was, gave the entire thing away to me. And I do mean pretty much everything. Even small things, such as a split second view  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

Thus, in the game, I was waiting for the announcement that's where we're going, and it was. 

But I just don't think I can. I love their trailers too much and I'm already watching the VGA one. 

Hopefully they just reveal less, I guess.
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Ramone

Sounds like a good idea but i'm not sure i'll be able to stick to it. I think I might replay ME2 just so I have a good save for ME3.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Aetheldod

Im too going dark on ME3 news , all I wanted to know was when  the game was coming out , also there less a reason because we now know they fixed the gameplay , and whatever changes come I dont think it will be as radical so no reason to spoil things before hand .... so good luck in our er ... um darkness :P

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By mazik765

To be fair, nothing in that trailer would have really given away anything without having context from previous research. For example:

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mordukai

It's a common trend these days for games to "blow their load" way to quickly for the sake of marketing. I'm afair the only way you'll be able to go sark is to put yourself in an ME3 embargo. 

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By bishna

Ya im trying to do that with the new pokemon. Trying to recapture some of the magic of the first time i put gold in and saw all new pokemon and thought that each one must be the rarest in the game cause i hadn't seen it before. Unfortunately a few have been spoiled for me, including the final evolution of one of the starters im pretty sure. I admire your effort and hope that both of us can succeed.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By CptChiken

Good luck to you, if you visit game websites much i fear you wont succeed.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Demyx

I'm so with you. I knew way too much about it.

Tiger1535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Tiger1535

As much as i would want to not look at anything ME3 related before it come out, it will never happen. Hopefully the trailers dont reveal too much for ME3.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hatking

I am going to try the same thing, I think. 

...but I might fail.
    fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By fishmicmuffin
    @SomeGuy890: I wish you luck good sir. I, personally, will be drooling over every tidbit of information that comes out!
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By REDRUN

Watching that launch trailer still gives me a boner.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm

I avoided mostly everything from Mass Effect 2. I didn't even watch the CGI trailer they released. The only thing I really remember watching where the developer diaries that talked about the difference in the classes. That was what got me psyched on it, but I avoided everything else.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Brendan

I don't go to Giantbomb.com to go dark on information on video games I care about.  I wouldn't come here otherwise. 
    dancrane212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dancrane212

I felt the same way for the first Mass Effect. 

I ended up going dark for Mass Effect 2, aside from seeing the very first teaser trailer (Legion) I saw nothing and to tell you the truth it changed the way I look at games.  For the first time in years I didn't have an idea where the story will go, the characters I will meet, the choices I will make etc. Even the gameplay was a surprise! I had no idea that certain things could happen on the suicide mission and when one of those things happened it was shocking. 

Now,  I don't look up game news sites, watch every single trailer, read the previews; I'm content with the little dribble here ad there; games are more enjoyable this way. It reminded me of the "good old days" when you got a game you knew was going to be good (Mario World) and you were surprised the entire way through.

The best way to start is to use a pretty unknown feature on Kotaku the "not:" tag 
    For example  kotaku.com/tag/not:bioware/ 
    If you use this address anything tagged Bioware wont be displayed on the site. There are a few glitches, I find that specific things like Mass Effect will only work for half the posts. 

Good luck!    

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HubrisRanger

I am seriously considering doing this as well. I adored Mass Effect 3, but I did envy my friends shock at the beginning when I had read enough reviews and previews to know that things don't start out well. Furthermore, I felt like I had a decent grasp on the characters (save for Mordin) prior to release. 

The problem is that I'm kind of a junkie for anything Mass Effect related, even down to dopey trailers. We'll see how strong I remain.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.