Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect 2? or 3?

MonkeyMitcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MonkeyMitcho

i want to play Mass Effect 3 but i was wondering if i should play Mass Effect 2 and then buy 3? or should i just buy 2 and all the DLC

(Also i only have a PS3 and don't even bother suggesting me play on my PC :P)

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By BrockNRolla

Mass Effect 2 is a fantastic game regardless of how you feel about ME3 in the end. I would suggest you buy ME2 now and wait until later for ME3 since there might be a price drop or deal later on.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By VoshiNova

2! 2! 2! Also.....I'm going to miss this version of Giantbomb!!!!!

That's right! It's leaking into normal threads too! MUAHAHAHAHA! *takes more pills

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Ideally, you should play all three.

Just playing ME3 would be like going to see Return of the King, without having seen the first two movies. I believe ME2 on the PS3 has a comic that explains the events of the original.. but you should still actually play it, if you can.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sooty

2 is a fantastic game and far better than 3. I just regret that the ending of 3 made me not want to bother playing any of the past games again because I know how much of a clusterfuck it becomes.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By morrelloman

Its two because I didn't mind going back and playing it again to have everyone survive. 3 its like who cares. It's all over when this game is done so it hurts the replay value. Also the last mission in 2 maybe the single greatest level in videogame history (weird last boss aside)

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Buy everything! ME2 is the better game but ME3 is still fantastic,

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By RVonE

2 > 3

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

2!

And pretend like the Reaper threat was solved with the death of the Collectors.

...OK, that's a bit harsh, but Mass Effect 3 definitely does not live up to the standards set by 2. Note that I said "standards" and not "expectations" - no game could have lived up to those expectations.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By abdo

ME2.

ME3 is a rushed, messy, DLC-ridden excuse of a game.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By caska

I'd definitely play 2 before 3. Two is a great game and the DLC which the ps3 version comes with already(?) is pretty awesome as well so there's no reason to miss such a great game! Three is really just as good with some great missions as well and it feels like completely the same game as two (which is not a bad thing since it's the last game) and it's only the ending that's a bit lacklustre to say the least :P

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

3 is slightly better mechanically, but 2 is a tighter experience all-around. 

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ulain

@BrockNRolla said:

Mass Effect 2 is a fantastic game regardless of how you feel about ME3 in the end. I would suggest you buy ME2 now and wait until later for ME3 since there might be a price drop or deal later on.

This all the way. The story will be much more enjoyable and make more sense if you play 2 (and probably 1 as well) first. Not to mention you can import your character in and start off at a higher level.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones

If you play 2 first then 3 is better. It's hard to explain but all the relationships and such you build in 2 can literally push 3 to being a better game and it almost makes it kind of like magic

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#15  Edited By Mnemoidian

Mass Effect 3 is much better if you have the emotional attachment to the characters from Mass Effect 2. Seriously, you should play 2. And then 3.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Samaritan

Ideally you should play all three games before heading into Mass Effect 3, but you can definitely skip the first one if you must. This works out well for you as you are playing on the PS3 and thus will be able to answer most of the "big" decisions from ME1 when creating your character in ME2.

hibikino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hibikino

Definitely play ME 2 and then you decide for yourself if it's worth continuing the journey in ME 3 at all but yeah the build up is intense!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

1 > 2 > 3

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pyrodactyl

play all 3. the third one is better but you need the experience from 1 and 2 to apriciate that. Get the DLC also, there is nice callbacks to the stuff that happens in those. The motion comic does a good enough job of simulating ME1 on PS3 I hear

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60

People seriously think me2 is better than me3? Wat? Me3 takes everything from me2 and improves it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of 3 is basically a mini nostalgia trip meeting back up with old friends, so obviously it's a lot more effective if you've played 2 first and have those connections to build on.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hitchenson

1 > 3 > 2

Although as everyone in the world is aware by now, 3's ending(s) are so fucking bad, it's pathetic. And yes, 1 first, I like RPGs much more than poor imitations of Gears of War. Play them in order if you can, if not start with 2, although by missing 1, you're not only missing the best game you're missing a lot of why shit's happening and who that person is moments.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#23  Edited By Lazyaza

@CL60 said:

People seriously think me2 is better than me3? Wat? Me3 takes everything from me2 and improves it.

What kind of drugs are you on? cause they must be powerful since the only thing improved in ME3 over 2 was the combat and some elements of the graphics. Everything else was vastly vastly inferior to the point I would only recommend ME3 if someone is already deeply invested. Bioware failed to make a third game that delivered on the promises of 1 and 2 and failed to make a new game that non-fans would have reason to pick up despite how hard they tried.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

Nothing in 3 makes sense if you didn't play 1 or 2.

2 happens to be a better game than 3 so that's a bonus!

@CL60 said:

Really? For me it just stripped the gameplay down a little too much. ME2 was the perfect middle ground. ME3 you can only explore the citadel, otherwise you only land in combat zones, which I found boring. Also you get significantly less dialogue choices, and the decisions you do get to make don't feel like a big deal. Well they don't feel like anything after those endings kinda made them moot decisions.

ME2 you could kinda call an RPG cause you explored a world a bit, inhabited a character, ME3 felt like a shooter with dialogue options.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60
    @Lazyaza

@CL60 said:

What kind of drugs are you on? cause they must be powerful since the only thing improved in ME3 over 2 was the combat and some elements of the graphics. Everything else was vastly vastly inferior to the point I would only recommend ME3 if someone is already deeply invested. Bioware failed to make a third game that delivered on the promises of 1 and 2 and failed to make a new game that non-fans would have reason to pick up despite how hard they tried.

So we're just going to pretend that me3 doesn't have more armor options, weapon options, skill point options, and a massively improved weapon upgrades system?
    HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By HadesTimes

Sorry but I just ME 3 last night. ME 2 is a MUCH BETTER GAME.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@CL60 said:

@Lazyaza

@CL60 said:

So we're just going to pretend that me3 doesn't have more armor options, weapon options, skill point options, and a massively improved weapon upgrades system?

Don't forget it actually has a cohesive plot, not like 15 side stories, occasionally checking in to see what's up with the Collectors.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GaspoweR

I enjoy the combat in 3 better than 2 since you are more mobile and have more weapon options. 2 though was a lot of fun all around. Great story, side quests are a lot more meaningful, and only has two problems in my book and one of which was mineral mining. The other problem though is more of a spoiler but it is actually justifiable when i dug through the lore.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only have a ps3? Oh....Well this sucks. Mass effect 2 runs fairly nice on the ps3 actually. even though it uses the 3rd games engine, the team had the time to get it right. Framerates fine, and had settings to match the terrible dual shock 3s deadzone on its sticks.

But mass effect 3 on the ps3 runs VERY piss poor. That entire opening sequnce had a framerate high of 20. Even the opening cutscene just chugggeeed! I can't even aim correctly, because of the terrible framerate and lack of a good stick sensitivity setting. Personally, the issues with the ps3 version are worse than skyrim ever had. I rented it from redbox since its the only version it can get *no 2 discers in redbox*, put in 4 hours, and gave up trying to play that mess. But then I went over to a friends house, played it on the 360 for over an hour, and went...this is an entirely different game almost. A constant 30+fps. And graphically the same.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.