Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect 2006

• 64 results
    leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By leinad44

Mass Effect 2 is the best in the series imo. Mass Effect 1 had a lot of problems.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By BisonHero

@HerbieBug said:

This doesn't get mentioned often, but it really bothered me how they took the Normandy airlock entrance out of ME2 and ME3. In ME1 you go into the airlock, the O2 cycles and you exit while the intercom says that XO Presley is taking over command while you are off ship. It was a great little detail. ME2 and ME3 you get a generic loading screen. Garbage.

It really is the little touches like the one you mention that made Mass Effect 1 memorable and just plain cool.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By glyn

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@TheHBK said:

Ahhh how many times I watched these videos, anticipating this game. Remembering how I loved Knights of the Old Republic. And was happy with what we got in ME1. But then ME2... fuck, they turned it into a shooter and that was it for me. Didn't bother with ME3.

Exactly this. Exactly. And what's rarely mentioned is that ME1 has the best story arc in terms of pacing, leading to a proper finale, with ME2 just feeling like a bunch of separate mini missions stitched together.

What the hell happened to the massive skeleton robot thingy. Just shows the Mass Effect story was a joke after the first one.

If they cannot deliver, dont make false promises.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By haggis
    @leinad44 said:

Mass Effect 2 is the best in the series imo. Mass Effect 1 had a lot of problems.

It did have quite a few issues, and ME2 fixed most of them --and introduced a few problems of its own. Funny, though, I watched the video and was surprised how little Mass Effect changed between the video and final release. The galaxy map looked cooler in the video than it did in the final game, but aside from that the game is essentially what it is on final release. And none of that strategic approach to combat changed in ME2 and ME3 unless you wanted it to. You can't play the game on the more difficult levels as a shooter. It just doesn't work. I liked the flexibility. I'm also still a bit mystified by those who think the storytelling in the first game was better. On this point I think the whole series was just alright. But then I'm a bit picky about narrative.

For me, the biggest disappointment in ME1 was that the exploration never really paid off. A bunch of largely empty worlds with boring terrain and awkward combat. It could have been so much better than it was, and later games gave up on the exploration aspect altogether. Scanning planets? Lost opportunities. It's not the first time a dev team didn't deliver what they promised, and won't be the last either. Nevertheless, they gave us what is one of the best new IPs this generation. I'm hoping they fulfill some of the promise of the series when the next console generation comes out.
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Ramone

@HH said:

i loved the gameplay, but i can't help feeling the fully voiced thing marked the beginning of the end for me.

picture sitting down to a new tabletop roleplaying game:

me- this looks awesome.

gm- okay let's get started.

me- wait don't i have to roll a character first?

gm- no, you have to be this really annoying simpleton guy who just overstates the obvious constantly and acts like a faggot or a douche, depending on which way you want to go.

me- you're kidding.

gm- nope.

Could you please tone down the homophobia? It's not appreciated here at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The combat looks infinitely more interesting.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By HH

@Ramone said:

@HH said:

i loved the gameplay, but i can't help feeling the fully voiced thing marked the beginning of the end for me.

picture sitting down to a new tabletop roleplaying game:

me- this looks awesome.

gm- okay let's get started.

me- wait don't i have to roll a character first?

gm- no, you have to be this really annoying simpleton guy who just overstates the obvious constantly and acts like a faggot or a douche, depending on which way you want to go.

me- you're kidding.

gm- nope.

Could you please tone down the homophobia? It's not appreciated here at all.

that was not homophobia. OBVIOUSLY.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Turambar
    @HH: Usage of the term "faggot" is pejorative against homosexuals, and is definitely not welcomed here.
    jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By jay_ray

ME1 has the best feel, it felt like it had a soul. ME2 however had the better gameplay in my opinion, side missions didn't feel cookie cutter and it just was fun to play. ME3 was the worst but gets why to much undeserved shit.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By Genkkaku

I remember watching that video over and over and over, wanted nothing more than to play that game.. It wasn't everything they promised but It was one hell of a game.. I hope after ME3 and DA2 that Bioware can bounce back and deliver on all of there original promises

talideon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By talideon

@AngelN7 said:

@HerbieBug said:

This doesn't get mentioned often, but it really bothered me how they took the Normandy airlock entrance out of ME2 and ME3. In ME1 you go into the airlock, the O2 cycles and you exit while the intercom says that XO Presley is taking over command while you are off ship. It was a great little detail. ME2 and ME3 you get a generic loading screen. Garbage.

The same reason why the elevator loading secuences were just genetic loading screens in ME2 instead of the cool elevator scene with some dialog from your crew but people complained about those so they took them out, then later people realized those little scenes where covering loading times and they were much more inmersive than just poping a load screen , another case fans not knowing what the hell they want.

People were complaining that the lift sequences took too long, not that they were boring. It's not their fault that Bioware went and misinterpreted everyone and replaced something serviceable like the lift sequences with something rubbish like those interstitial animations while doing little to improve loading times.

Same thing goes with other stuff they got rid of in ME2, such as inventory. The problem with ME's inventory system was that it lacked grouping of items of the same type and level, contextual stacking of items of the same type (worst on top in shops, best on top when doing loadouts) and stable ordering of items in the list. If they'd done those things, the inventory system would've actually worked, but instead they just threw a massive list of items at the player. Again, somewhere Bioware "listened" to fans and completely misinterpreted what their complaints were.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By Tennmuerti

ME1 was the shit, the best one in the trilogy, it was a fucking rpg space opera with an epic story. Not a babysitting third person shooter sitcom like ME2. At least ME3 was a bit better, apart from that ending. The only things i respect in the second instalment are the few new characters, armor design and interupts.

(that's the short of it, for fear of going on a several paragraph rant)

Mako 4 Life.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By HerbieBug

@talideon said:

@AngelN7 said:

@HerbieBug said:

The same reason why the elevator loading secuences were just genetic loading screens in ME2 instead of the cool elevator scene with some dialog from your crew but people complained about those so they took them out, then later people realized those little scenes where covering loading times and they were much more inmersive than just poping a load screen , another case fans not knowing what the hell they want.

People were complaining that the lift sequences took too long, not that they were boring. It's not their fault that Bioware went and misinterpreted everyone and replaced something serviceable like the lift sequences with something rubbish like those interstitial animations while doing little to improve loading times.

Same thing goes with other stuff they got rid of in ME2, such as inventory. The problem with ME's inventory system was that it lacked grouping of items of the same type and level, contextual stacking of items of the same type (worst on top in shops, best on top when doing loadouts) and stable ordering of items in the list. If they'd done those things, the inventory system would've actually worked, but instead they just threw a massive list of items at the player. Again, somewhere Bioware "listened" to fans and completely misinterpreted what their complaints were.

The loot removal was a major misstep. I'm not sure how that happened. Yes, ME1's inventory was trash and people rightfully complained about it. Nobody complained about the concept of having an inventory to begin with though. ME1 loot was pretty cool too. They did the separate classifications based on manufacturer first, which Borderlands wisely picked up on later. Baby, bathwater, etc.

Boo Bioware! Yay Gearbox! :D

talideon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By talideon

@HerbieBug said:

The loot removal was a major misstep. I'm not sure how that happened. Yes, ME1's inventory was trash and people rightfully complained about it. Nobody complained about the concept of having an inventory to begin with though. ME1 loot was pretty cool too. They did the separate classifications based on manufacturer first, which Borderlands wisely picked up on later. Baby, bathwater, etc.

Boo Bioware! Yay Gearbox! :D

And not only did Gearbox pick the idea up and run with it, they multiplied everything to the nth degree, and people loved it.

So yes, Boo Bioware and Yay Gearbox! Even DN:F couldn't totally deplete the kudos Borderlands gained for them in my mind.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By probablytuna

I remember seeing Mass Effect videos for the first time back in 2007 and dismissed it simply because it was to be released on the 360. Then I purchased the PC port of the game back in 2009 and I was absolutely hooked and made me realise how much of an idiot I was. For all the criticism about the series, especially Mass Effect 3, it's very much one of my favourite series, standing alongside Metal Gear Solid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.