Mass Effect 3 announced by Sony Russia via Twitter

#1 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Guess everyone who was guessing that the VGA trailer was for Mass Effect 3 were right. 
Source

So much for Russian secrecy – SCEE Russia has effectively outed Mass Effect 3 via Twitter.

The Tweet goes on to say (translated): "Company #BioWare Award for #VideoGameAwards showed a teaser, in which we can see the first footage #MassEffect 3″.

So it seems there will be footage of Mass Effect 3 at the VGAs and the game will likely be available for the PS3 as well.

Is this the way Sony intended the game to be outed? Probably not, but the fact that the tweet has not been retracted speaks volumes. It gives everyone another great excuse to watch the VGA's on December 11th.

#2 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

In Russia mass effect 3 plays you.

#3 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Why does every thread I make double itself? I only hit the damn button once.

#4 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I really hope this is all one huge troll to try and increase the ratings for this thing.

#5 Posted by xyzygy (10008 posts) -

It was pretty much confirmed when we seen that sniper rifle. Also, why announce ME3 when ME2 for PS3 isn't even out? They must not have high expectations for it's sales.

#6 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

If they actually do announce it, the question is how early will it come out?  Would they actually be able to turn around a new game by the end of 2011 even though ME2 came out in (admittedly early) 2010?  Even if they could, would we want them to?  I'd prefer they take the full 2 years that most major video games require to make these days. 

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

ME3! Yes! <3

#8 Posted by punkxblaze (2987 posts) -

Wait, people hadn't already pretty much figured this shit out?

#9 Posted by supermike6 (3566 posts) -

Damn. I was hoping for a new IP, since I've almost stopped caring about Mass Effect. Also, announcing that your going to get to see a certain game soon is dumb; If I wanted to play this game, I'd rather just wait until they can announce a release date. All this hyping the hype is getting ridiculous.

#10 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

I don't trust Russians... 
BUT EFF YEAH!

#11 Posted by Ramone (2972 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

"Wait, people hadn't already pretty much figured this shit out? "

This. The sniper is clearly ME style.
#12 Posted by Egg0 (169 posts) -

Since ME2 comes out for the PS3 in January. I'm hoping for a Q1 2012 release date for ME3.   

#13 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Bummer, I want ME 3 but I was hoping the teaser would be for some other ME related game. Also it's obvious ME 3 is going multiplatform.

#14 Posted by akeripper4 (154 posts) -

so that will most likely mean that later on they will announce more bridged dlc......

#15 Posted by Jimbo (9820 posts) -

OMG they're making Mass Effect 3??  This is a real bolt from the blue!

I hope the announcement is something else, or the build-up to it has been way OTT.

#16 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

They leaked that a game that we were already aware was being made, is being made. 

With intelligence like that, it's no wonder Russia lost the Cold War.

#17 Posted by Aetheldod (3594 posts) -

Well im not surprissed if they finish this one faster than ME2 , for that one they had to praticly re do the whole game system , and since ME2 one proved successfull , its only a matter of adding content , also Bioware said that they were pretty much working on ME3 while ME2 was just hitting stores , so it took less time , I predict a mid 2011 release . I hardly doubt they can screw up this mighty series ( then again Im a fanboi for all Me stuff)

#18 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

It could have been a a prequel to the first contact war or something but whatever

its ME3. im a happy camper, if it is something else in the mass effect universe, i am still a happy camper

#19 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

I'm happy with ME3. Wrap up the trilogy, THEN we can start doing some spin-offs or prequels. Focus should be on making ME3 a satisfying ending to Shepard's story before we start doing other things with Mass Effect.

#20 Posted by xyzygy (10008 posts) -
@Aetheldod said:
" Well im not surprissed if they finish this one faster than ME2 , for that one they had to praticly re do the whole game system , and since ME2 one proved successfull , its only a matter of adding content
Mass Effect 2 was successful, but so was the first one. Especially for being a new IP. If you look at it in those terms, some might call ME1 a larger success. They shouldn't keep the same mechanics just because it was in ME2.
#21 Edited by Liam_mk (290 posts) -

Whatever, I'm waiting for Biowares next blue alien rape simulator.

#22 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -
@punkxblaze said:
" Wait, people hadn't already pretty much figured this shit out? "
#23 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

Awesome. I CANNOT WAIT!

#24 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3485 posts) -

In Russia, game announces you!

#25 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" If they actually do announce it, the question is how early will it come out?  Would they actually be able to turn around a new game by the end of 2011 even though ME2 came out in (admittedly early) 2010?  Even if they could, would we want them to?  I'd prefer they take the full 2 years that most major video games require to make these days.  "
I'm hoping for a 2012 release, personally. I want them to finish this series with a fucking bang, and not push it out too soon. As long as they actually release it within this century.
#26 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I'm excited for Mass Effect 3 and all, but what about the next piece of DLC? :/

#27 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@Hourai said:
" I'm excited for Mass Effect 3 and all, but what about the next piece of DLC? :/ "
Most likely after ME2 PS3. Probably so they don't have to include it in there and everything.
#28 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Is there a point to the PS3 version? 

They missed the entire first game...

#29 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Is there a point to the PS3 version?  They missed the entire first game... "
Well, the introductory interactive comic could be good, but yeah, half the magic of ME2 is seeing everything from ME1 carrying over. Least, it was for me.
#30 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

As I posted in a previous thread: How can you announce a game which everybody knows is going to be made?

@xyzygy said:

" @Aetheldod said:

" Well im not surprissed if they finish this one faster than ME2 , for that one they had to praticly re do the whole game system , and since ME2 one proved successfull , its only a matter of adding content
Mass Effect 2 was successful, but so was the first one. Especially for being a new IP. If you look at it in those terms, some might call ME1 a larger success. They shouldn't keep the same mechanics just because it was in ME2. "

Yeah, I'll be extremely disappointed if they don't overhaul things. Not that I have any ideas about what they could do, but I would rather spend the 48 hours or whatever that I'm going to be playing that game learning some new mechanics.
#31 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6993 posts) -

Didn't they pretty much confirmed a third Mass Effect game while promoting the second one?

#32 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

I love Mass Effect!
#33 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" Didn't they pretty much confirmed a third Mass Effect game while promoting the second one? "
It was always the Mass Effect Trilogy. They technically confirmed ME2 and ME3 before ME1 was out.
#34 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -

File this under "No Shit".

#35 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Ripten.com, a trusted source since 2 seconds ago when you first heard of ripten.com.

#36 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -

That is the worst possible announcement.

Everyone knows there's a 3rd game coming, I was hoping it would be something that I would actually want to play.

shame :(

#37 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

I was hoping for something new, even if it were based in the Mass Effect universe.

Mass Effect 3 being made was pretty much a given.

#38 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
"Bummer, I want ME 3 but I was hoping the teaser would be for some other ME related game. Also it's obvious ME 3 is going multiplatform. "
#39 Posted by XenoNick (1408 posts) -

As long as ME3 doesnt come out till at least 2012.

#40 Posted by smcn (926 posts) -
@XenoNick said:
" As long as ME3 doesnt come out till at least 2012. "
If they follow the same PR timeline as ME2 (the first teaser being released February of last year) it could very well be a 2011 holiday release. If they start the PR machine now I certainly hope that's the case. My flawless avoidance of any ME2 spoilerage throughout 2009 totally paid off, but it makes listening to podcasts & going through RSS feeds brutal.
#41 Posted by Edwardryu (437 posts) -

trust me. it's not ME3. because Bioware will let us know first. not damn russian site. the new game is nothing to do with ME3 by the way in VGA award. let's see who will  be wrong. 

#42 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

If it is Mass Effect 3 than this whole thing is a huge waste of time and hype since the game was basically announced ages ago and was even mentioned in the loading screens of Mass Effect 2. So unless the last game is radically different in story or game play whats the point in all this run up to announcement shit. I don't really trust this leak either and it could still be some other game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.