Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect - better with kinect?

MicRas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MicRas

As it says on the box, Mass Effect 3 is a better experience when playing with Kinect.

I am not a owner of a Kinect sensor so I'm interested in hearing if any of you have tried it and are actually using it when playing, and what you think about it?

I haven't really heard anything about it, and since it was such a big push from Bioware (the E3 press demo and a long gameplay video showing off the voice control), does it even add anything to the useful to the gameplay?

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Even the ending is bearable with Kinect.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

No it's just something Microsoft paid for hoping people would take it seriously and not just see it a cash grab as normal headsets can technically accomplish the same voice control. I don't think you can do it without the Kinect, which is pretty pathetic. 

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

gimmick

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They only say it's better with Kinect because Microsoft wants people to buy Kinect. I haven't played it with or without Kinect, but the use seems really gimmicky to me. It seems like it's just shoehorned in there to stick the purple stripe on the box and say "Hey, buy Kinect with this thing!!!!". Naturally I can't comment with any certainty, but that's how it looks to me.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By zidd

@Sooty said:

No it's just something Microsoft paid for hoping people would take it seriously and not just see it a cash grab as normal headsets can accomplish the same voice control. I don't think you can do it without the Kinect, which is pretty pathetic.

Wrong. Kinect processes all of the voice commands so the performance stays the same whether you are using Kinect or not. I used it a lot while playing and thought it added a bit to the experience.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jimbo

Kinda ironic that the Crucible design seems to be based on a Move controller.  If only they'd based it on a Kinect controller.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#8  Edited By Kidavenger

It works well enough for the stuff that is prompted on the screen, but I haven't been able to get any of the squad controls working(I've only had a few hours to play it so far, still on Mars)

I do feel like a bit of a wierdo yelling at the game and seriously it's faster just to use the controller.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AssInAss

Someone needs to test out how much time difference there is between saying squad commands versus the using the controller.

ultra2extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ultra2extreme

Like a lot of things in gaming these days, although not for me, i cant help but wonder if an 11 or even 15 year old might think differently. A jaded semi professional 28 year old shouting commands at his/her telly is vaguely ridiculous, but when i was 10 i used to dance around in front of the telly when the ninja turtles came on and karate chop my mum while yelling "cowabunga" . This might be amazing to them has anyone asked?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sooty
    @Zidd said:

@Sooty said:

No it's just something Microsoft paid for hoping people would take it seriously and not just see it a cash grab as normal headsets can accomplish the same voice control. I don't think you can do it without the Kinect, which is pretty pathetic.

Wrong. Kinect processes all of the voice commands so the performance stays the same whether you are using Kinect or not. I used it a lot while playing and thought it added a bit to the experience.

Only evidence for that is what BioWare say, and of course they'll insist Kinect is required for it, they're no doubt being paid by Microsoft to include the functionality. It's not like Mass Effect is pushing the hardware to its limits like Gears of War is, I find it hard to believe voice control couldn't have been worked in with just using a headset. 

This type of low level voice control is dull as hell, and that's all I have to say about that. 
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By adoggz

being able to use any squad power without pulling up the wheel is nice.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By UlquioKani

@Jimbo said:

Kinda ironic that the Crucible design seems to be based on a Move controller. If only they'd based it on a Kinect controller.

So you basically don't want the crucible to exist?

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Drebin_893

@UlquioKani said:

@Jimbo said:

Kinda ironic that the Crucible design seems to be based on a Move controller. If only they'd based it on a Kinect controller.

You got the joke, good job.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By mazik765

The use is great in game and is useful. Not something I would buy a Kinect for since everything the Kinect lets you do can be done with a controller, but since I already had one it is a cool feature.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By UlquioKani

@Drebin_893 said:

@UlquioKani said:

@Jimbo said:

You got the joke, good job.

I feel pretty dumb now, thanks

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JunkHype

I found it useful, mainly used it for switching ammo types or weapons. My most used commands were probably "Garrus, Sniper Rifle", "Garrus, Assualt Rifle", or "Incendiary Ammo". For awhile I tried issuing commands for allies to use abilities but it didn't work as well as I'd like, and was just faster to use whatever I had mapped to the d-pad. So better with kinect?... sure why not. Kinect just for ME3? hell no

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By xyzygy

My cousin has it and he says that it's amazing. He said it's different at first but it makes the combat faster and when you know what you're doing you will get good results.

Personally this is the stuff I can see Kinect being useful for.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Its pretty cool. Not for conversations just in battle you can yell out "Liara Stasis" and she does it. Something that can be done on a controller but its pretty neat. Future!

Vacancy009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vacancy009

It worked great for commands the commands that I didn't have mapped. Mapping my frequently used commands and just saying the others was pretty cool imo. So is it better? yes is it worth investing money in if you don't already have Kinect? no

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By phrosnite

Mass Effect 3 - best on PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.