Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 21, 2017

Set in a galaxy far from the Milky Way, Mass Effect: Andromeda puts players in the role of a Pathfinder tasked with exploring new habitable worlds and investigating mysterious technology.

Have the reviews changed your mind on buying ME:A?

• 121 results
    Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Mirado

Poll Have the reviews changed your mind on buying ME:A? (765 votes)

Yep! 44%
    Nope! 56%

The embargo is over and the results are...a bit mixed. Has that influenced you in any way? Are you now hoping that they can iron out some of the bugs before you pick it up? Have you downgraded from a must buy to a no way? Still along for the Ryde....r? (sorry) (not sorry)

And if the reviews have actually changed your mind from a no sale to a buy, I'd really like to know what you read that influenced you in that direction.

• 
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nah, I was always gonna buy it. Even if the single player doesn't hold my interest for more than one playthrough there's the multiplayer which looks as solid as the one from ME3. And that's enough for me.

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rm082e

Nope - I was pretty sure it would suck this whole time, and I was right. I'm going to pick up Horizon, Nioh, Hollow Knight, and Nier over the next few months. There's too much good stuff out to waste time on a broken turd based on some sense of responsibility to a series I once loved.

Sucks.

P.S. Hope Persona 5 is good. I've never played a Persona game, so I'm looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about.

Invadernny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I loved the original trilogy, even 3. That world speaks to me so much I'm sure I'll get something out of the game. Now I may hold off until a price drop if it doesn't do so well.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#4  Edited By Slag

Nope. If anything they were a relief that game didn't get any worse. It sounds better than I think we feared, but at the end of day still mediocre.

Pretty occupied with zelda atm and the gb stream showed me enough to want wait on this one. Probably going to hold off for a GotY edition and a sale at that.

Too many good things to play right now to consider full freight for this one.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I used the trial to judge my interest, and wound up pre-ordering the deluxe that night. I haven't based a purchase on reviews for years now. Which is part of the reason I'm on giantbomb, reviews aren't the center piece of the content.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No, but I will be playing as female Ryder instead of male Ryder because of prerelease stuff. Male Ryder looks and sounds like such a douche.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not really. I never planned on getting it Day 1. I love the series, but never got incredibly excited for this entry. I plan on picking it up over the summer.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:
    ...Probably going to hold off for a GotY edition and a sale at that. ...

Same here.
    The reviews changed my mind as far as getting it right now goes, but instead just sometime in the future, when it's complete, fixed (fixed as it can be) and cheaper.

I was actually more put off by the reviews (and those who got it early) talking about the story then how broken it is. I'll put up with a broken(ish) game if the story is great, but it sounds like a bit of a mess and with a mediocre story to boot. So, some other time.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. None of the negatives are a real dealbreaker for me, and the combat seems fun anyway.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the SP-content from the Origin Access -thing. It was pulpy nonsense. I wasn't very thrilled. So, no, I wasn't going to buy it anyhow.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a deciding factor for whether I got it at launch or not. Based on the somewhat tepid response I think I will hold off until it's cheaper.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I was mildly interested. Then I played the trial and then the reviews hit. That mild interest has evaporated.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The reviews didn't because honestly who cares about reviews, but the raw footage I've watched on GB and other streams certainly pushed it back from a release purchase to a "future GOTY edition discount purchase."

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By veektarius

The reviews certainly caused me to delay my purchase.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was skeptical to begin with, but after watching videos and reading reviews, its just a straight up pass for me.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was happy to cancel my preorder just hours before it was shipped out today.

I don't feel like dropping $79.99+15% tax on a game that doesn't wow me.

Shig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I wasn't looking to buy it right out of the gates to begin with. Bioware's recent handling of the IP has left me with a sour taste in my mouth, and all the footage/trailers/etc I had seen had not washed it away. Ironically the terrible animations and the internet's reaction to them almost convinced me to buy it and play through the trainwreck myself, but I decided against helping the game's sales.

Might still play "Bioware's worst RPG" way down the line, but i'm in no rush.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, actually the trial did. I wasn't sure I was gonna get the game because of everything out right now but had a blast when I got my hands on it.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Realistically I'm still going to get it. The reviews are in such a weird spot with this game. Some people are absolutely loving it, and others are calling it the worst BioWare RPG ever. So it's hard to make a decision off the backs of reviews.

The way I look at it, if I agree more with the positive reviews, then it'll be right up my alley. If the negative reviews are to be believed, then this might be such a train wreck that I might just need to experience it for myself to at least get a good laugh.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#20  Edited By Savage

Yes. I was never going to buy it day one, but I had been expecting to probably buy the game one day after it had been discounted and all the inevitable DLC was out. Now that I've gotten a clear view of what this game is--the good, the bad, and the ugly--I won't be buying or playing it ever.

I've got way too many other ways I'd rather spend my precious recreation time than on a game so mediocre.

Of the handful of reviews I've read, this passage from RockPaperShotgun left the most impression on me:

Mass Effect Andromeda feels like a game that exists because there needed to be a new Mass Effect game. It’s hard, as deeply as you explore it, to find something that shows any other reason for it to be. Despite the extraordinary opportunity of a fresh start, fresh characters, and even a fresh galaxy to set it in, this feels like a lengthy rehash of what came before. It is bad in many ways, from its madcap AI, poor character faces, dated design and most of all, horrible writing, but its biggest crime is just how unavoidably, all-encompassingly dull it is for so, so many hours.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It;s put me off getting it at launch. Will wait till I've played Persona 5.

ocelotfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Yep, because it confirmed that BioWare decided to transfer its oh-so-boring-and-dull Dragon Age: Inquisition formula for filler to the venerable story-heavy franchise that was at its best when it eschewed filler (Mass Effect 2). I may pick it up in a year or so, but the approach that the reviews indicate fills ME:A took a series I have purchased day one or preordered and relegated it to "watch for a sale around $19.99 and take a waiver on it."

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah, I decided there's enough in here to get some enjoyment out of, and seeing as I'm in the mood for this sort of game I went and bought it. I won't expect the moon though, and it'll be nice to know that going in.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OurSin_360

It seems worth playing im just not sure how much, i can get it 47$ and wait a day but even that might be too much. Multiplayer seems like where the fun is but i am not sure how big the pc community will be for it or how much support it will get if sales are bad. :-/

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BRich

@undefined: nope playing the first 10 hours and it's good so I'll pick it up

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Pass. Watching all of the preview and review coverage just makes me want to replay the original trilogy.

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the awkward dialogue in the first five minutes of the quick look completed the job of un-selling me on the game. Though I do change my mind from time to time.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I'll still be picking it up. The only thing that really bums me out is the glitches. It sounds like there's some annoying ones but none to the game breaking degree of a Bethesda game. Still hope they patch them up though.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Mass Effect 2 kinda killed off my interest in the series. ME:A would have had to be incredible - like, Witcher 3 good - to get me back on board. But it clearly isn't that, so I'll pass for the time being

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reviews confirmed it which really sucks I wanted this game to be great but judging from the writing the bland characters the bugs and bad animation it's not even great unfortunately alot of the original Mass Effect team is gone and it shows.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Yes, it has. The reviews I've seen have put me off given the prevalence of copious amounts of bugs and the weird animation stuff. At a lower price in a month or two (or three) I can see myself picking this up easily, but at launch for 60 bucks (and more games than I can play right now) I don't have any desire to get it right now. Well.. any desire is the wrong phrase. My excitement of a new mass effect has been heavily tempered by the word of mouth and press, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't even a little tinge of interest.

Heads up, I put me ranting about Open world game fatigue in spoilers. I tried to go back and find an old thread I saw a week or two ago and post there, but couldn't find it.

On a separate not, after seeing the video coverage gb west did I found the open worldness of the planet levels really off putting. Mass effect is a series I mainly consider to be linear in it's level design. Sure, they've had open environments, but they funneled you through them in a way that felt in line with a traditionally linear game. I'll be blunt. I am sick and tired of the open world design mentality leaking in every fucking game nowadays. It's almost never not tiring after a while. The core problem for me is the need to traverse large distances just to do something to progress. Hey, here's 3 things you need to do in order to activate this other thing - Okay, but to do that you have to go aaaaaallllllll the way over there to initiate the scripting for moving the task forward. But don't worry, cause in the middle of all these large spaces, there's plenty of mundane distractions and side stuff that will draw out the play time.

Although this sounds kinda like me saying I don't like playing the game, I really mean I don't like the... I guess watering down so to speak, of a game. Cause that's all it feels like after a while. They took the meat and potatoes of a game, and portioned it off in a way that feels cheap. Keeping with the food analogy, imagine you ordered a really awesome burger and fries. You can't wait to dig in, but the food preparer decided to cut it up in a bunch of smaller pieces and separated it across these large spaces you had to traverse in order to find it and eat. Now, along the way you find little snacks and appetizers that grab your attention and fill you up a bit. It's an okay aside, but you're still hungry for that main course. Unfortunately by the time you've found that next piece of the burger, you're kinda tired from walking there and the food along the way filled you up. Now, see what I mean? I don't know, this was an unnecessarily long tangent related to a game I don't even know has that bad of an open world design to it. Me venting this has been a long time coming.

Edit: I went ahead and did the trial and got hooked into buying the game. Do as I say, not as I do... or whatever.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. The visual issues is a turnoff, and some of the other weird occurrences are too, but I'm still excited (though a little more cautious).

Binghammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on the fence. There is a lot I liked and disliked in the 10 hour trial. I'm waiting to read the GB review before making a decision.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will try it out myself when it releases and if I really don't like it I will get a refund.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I pre-ordered it years ago in an E3 pre-order promotion, so I'm getting it for about $55CAD, instead of $90ish, so I'm going to keep my pre-order. Worst case, I hate it and sell it on Kijiji for $50. The reviews so far have been fine. I wasn't expecting this to be as good as Mass Effect 2, but I like the Mass Effect universe and I think I can put up with some jank to see more of it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Nope but I already bought it.

Game reminds me a lot of DAI which I loved so more of that on space works for me. As said earlier, I'm one of 8 people who apparently enjoyed the early access parts so if it only improves from there, from what I already enjoyed for the most part, then awesome.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Efesell

I enjoyed the trial so I picked it up after trying that.

The reviews are trending a little bit lower than I expected but the only part of them really concerning to me are the reports of bugs, but at least that's something likely to be addressed.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I own the Mass Effect Trilogy. I currently have no plans to own or play this game. Why settle for mediocre when I'll need to get to Horizon, Nier, Resident Evil 7, and Persona 5 after I beat Breath of the Wild?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Not really! Its a bummer when things you like dont get universal acclaim, but that doesnt really affect my enjoyment. #AlphaProtocol4Life

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nah. Already got my impression of them game though word of mouth and the reviews already reflect that pretty accurately. So, I'm waiting on it after patches and whatnot. I'm perfectly happy with Senran Kagura Estival Versus at the moment.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#42 sweep  Moderator

Cancelling a pre-order sounds pretty dramatic these days, but yeah, I cancelled my preorder. I've heard some pretty scathing reviews (Not including the John Walker review on RPS because that guy is a fucking idiot. The irony of John Walker complaining about bad writing is palpable) and the poor animations have always been a major issue of mine with previous Bioware games, so to hear it's actually worse is pretty unacceptable to me. I think I'm a little more sensitive to it because animation is my job, but it sounds like it's upsetting a lot of other people as well. Coupled with an unadventurous plot and a litany of bugs, there's little appeal for me, as my patience for that stuff has always been low.

I'll wait for a sale. By then hopefully some of these issues have been patched.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Good or bad, it's still Mass Effect and I need to see it myself. My heart has steadily been sinking since last week, though, it's kinda like watching a loved one go through a self-destructive episode.

Mudig88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I woke up this morning and the first thing I did was check for the reviews. I was shocked at the ratings. I mean, based on early impressions of the game, I didn't expect another masterpiece but I was willing to accept that the game was an 8/10 or even a 7/10 but a lot of the reviews are below even more low expectation. So I accepted that this was not the game I've been waiting for for 5 years and quickly went to Amazon to cancel my preorder. Unfortunately it was too late so it's still on the way tomorrow. I wanted to cancel it and wait until it went on sale for $20.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My search or wait for this generation's sci-fi RPG masterpiece continues. I'd rather play The Precursors than this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

I own the Mass Effect Trilogy. I currently have no plans to own or play this game. Why settle for mediocre when I'll need to get to Horizon, Nier, Resident Evil 7, and Persona 5 after I beat Breath of the Wild?

This, hell I just reinstalled mass effect 2 playing it in the Oculus Rift it's breathtaking.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

If anything, they have perversely increased my desire to play the game. The thing sounds like such a train wreck I sort of want to see it for myself before they patch the bugs out.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By Darth_Navster

Due to an upcoming move, my modern consoles and PC are unavailable for the next several weeks. I was dreading the release of Andromeda as I knew I'd have to wait an agonizingly long time to start playing. If anything, the mediocre reviews have made the wait somewhat bearable, but you better believe I'm pathfinding the second I get my hands on modern tech. I'm a shameless BioWare fanboy that loves anything they put out, including Dragon Age 2.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I haven't enjoyed a Bioware game since Mass Effect 2, so I wasn't really planning on getting this, so the reviews helped solidify that sentiment. Also, Nier Automata is great so not too worried about finding new games to play.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I decided to get it down the line and cheaper anyway after hearing about the quality of the writing, so the reviews only confirmed what I'd heard so much about. The original trilogy is in my top ten so it's a bit of a bummer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.