Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

how is max payne 3

sarah2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

so I got max payne 3 and rayman origin's for like 15 dollar's rayman is awsome but I haven't checked out max payne 3 yet everyone say's it's good but how is the gameplay

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

It's pretty good. Too cutscene-y, though.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Really good. The gameplay is great, it's the best work Rockstar have done mechanically. The story wasn't too great to begin with, but the further I got into it, the more I enjoyed it.

The multiplayer is also great, apart from the fact everyone who you will play will have ranked up pretty high with weapons and 'perks' - I forget the word - that will completely overpower you. Also, they will have DLC items too which are pretty powerful.

Also, why are you asking, go play it and find out yourself.

sarah2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie: I have so many games to play it's not even funny I finally had my first weekend of the school year and all I did was play borderlands 2 which I already played to death. I currently have

Farcry 3 blood dragon

Infamous 1

GTA 4

saint's row the third

Bit trip runner

Hitman absolution

I better start some of these before I get more games from ps plus

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@believer258: This. The first time through, I had fun and enjoyed the game and the cut-scenes/story. I went back to pick up some collectibles and I couldn't stand waiting for the cut-scenes to play out.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By metal_mills

It's ok. No more, no less.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Max Payne 3 is fantastic. Some of my favorite video game gun battles are in that game. I highly recommend it. If you like "movie video games" it's one of the best.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The general consensus among the gaming community (forums and such) seems to be a bit divisive

For me, it was one of the best games of 2012, and mechanically amazing. It plays better than any other 3rd person shooter I've ever seen. I also thought the story was kind of awesome; hokey, yet kind of meaningful. It has a lot more to say than one might assume

And if GTAV plays half as well, we have one of the greatest games ever made on our hands

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its the Mechanics of that game which makes me real excited in GTA V

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

It's one of the best third person shooter's I've ever played, but the long ass, super-frequent cutscenes really get in the way.

Digiwth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gameplay and overall look and feel of the game are outstanding. The story/writing is pretty abysmal, though.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He's not doing too well. I heard he went to Brazil and he's back on the booze.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Mechanically the best TPS I've played by far, and personally I love the story and writing (as a big fan of the whole series). It was my GOTY.

Not to sound like a douche, but I really don't think a lot of people understood the story and what it was getting at, or that it could be hitting a lot of the same noir notes that the previous games did without being as directly a comic book take on noir as those games were. The plot was purposefully vague, obscured, and in ways directionless because that is what Max is going through. If you play through it multiple times you can see a lot of the plot coming together that you didn't notice in the first playthrough, which I like.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I wasn't too fond of the sense of movement in the game. Just felt a little too stiff for my liking.....lol.

I did like the style of the cutscenes but didn't care much for any of the characters outside Max.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's pretty good. Too cutscene-y, though.

I'm not sure I've ever in my life believed a game would have been better with less cutscenes.

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gameplay mechanics make it easily one of my favorite TPS of this generation. The story is enjoyable, but the long, unskippable cutscenes probably don't make it too great for repeat playthroughs.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty fun. The shooting actually feels pretty good and bullet time is pretty neat to play around with. The writing is pretty poor but if you're in it for the gameplay then it's definitely worth playing.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Can someone tell me what is bad about the writing that says so? I'm curious.

EDIT: To be fair, the only part that makes me cringe in MP3 is: When Max rushes into the Favela where Serano is holding Fabiana and she gets killed... it is so illogical and stupid that it really bugs me.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

It's ok. I just felt that the setting was terrible. The best parts are the flashbacks, back in New York. I also thought that Max drones a bit too much.

It would have been better if Remedy made it, but we all know that wouldn't have happened for years and years. Still. I would have preferred to wait if they still had the IP.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's good, not quite like the old games both story and gameplay wise. The story has promise but ultimately falls flat, and you're not gonna be diving all over the place feeling super powerful.

You gotta be in cover most of the time, and if you're gonna move make sure you're suppressing enemies when you do. The combat's a lot more intense (and dangerous) than the first two.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@theht said:

It's good, not quite like the old games both story and gameplay wise. The story has promise but ultimately falls flat, and you're not gonna be diving all over the place feeling super powerful.

You gotta be in cover most of the time, and if you're gonna move make sure you're suppressing enemies when you do. The combat's a lot more intense (and dangerous) than the first two.

No offense but this really isn't true at all. I just beat the game on the hardest difficulty (with the painkiller last ditch save mechanic to be fair) and I almost never used cover and was shoot dodging constantly.

Plenty of palythroughs can verify this on youtube, though I think playing on PC makes it all easier (better aiming). Still I played first on Xbox and hardly used cover.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By YOU_DIED

Compared to the first two, garbage. I hope you like unskippable cutscenes.

Avatar image for commander_crichton
    Commander_Crichton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

No offense but this really isn't true at all. I just beat the game on the hardest difficulty (with the painkiller last ditch save mechanic to be fair) and I almost never used cover and was shoot dodging constantly.

Plenty of palythroughs can verify this on youtube, though I think playing on PC makes it all easier (better aiming). Still I played first on Xbox and hardly used cover.

Gotta agree. The one true way to play Max Payne 3 is to be shoot dodging all over the place, all of the time. Granted, some parts of the game are designed with cover based, ranged combat in mind, but they're pretty few and far between.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: You're just so damn squishy in the game. I remember it was the stadium level that really fucked with me. I tried shoot dodging all around one bleachers part and would keep getting outflanked and gunned down super quick while old Max would get caught on a seat or slowly be getting up off the ground.

Only when I started firing to keep enemies behind cover so I could run out and shoot dodge into cover and kill some fools on the way did I find myself getting through the encounters without frustration and actually starting to have fun.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@theht said:

@artisanbreads: You're just so damn squishy in the game. I remember it was the stadium level that really fucked with me. I tried shoot dodging all around one bleachers part and would keep getting outflanked and gunned down super quick while old Max would get caught on a seat or slowly be getting up off the ground.

Only when I started firing to keep enemies behind cover so I could run out and shoot dodge into cover and kill some fools on the way did I find myself getting through the encounters without frustration and actually starting to have fun.

I usually start that encounter by using bullet time to cap a few of the guys down the way and then diving down the entire staircase of the bleachers, killing the three guys down there and then I work my way back up on the far side.

If you can manage, you can always be moving and make it through just about every part in the game.

Sounds like you should be more careful with your shoot dodging. The game punishes you more than 2 did for dodging into a wall or object or taking a bad angle where bullets still will be hitting you.

Don't mean to sound douchey, I just am reading you say you can't play the game how I just beat it on the hardest difficulty. I spend very little time in cover and am almost always moving.

@commander_crichton said:

@artisanbreads said:

@theht said:

Gotta agree. The one true way to play Max Payne 3 is to be shoot dodging all over the place, all of the time. Granted, some parts of the game are designed with cover based, ranged combat in mind, but they're pretty few and far between.

Agreed. Blindfire is a useful tool I use to clear out some hallways, close enemies, that kind of thing and then I'm quickly back to moving, rolling, dodging.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Its fine, good rockstar game, mediocre max payne game

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Seems terrible so far to me. I had to bump it down to Easy about halfway through Chapter 2 (and I played to completion the original Max Paynes) due to animation overload. Getting up from a dive takes way too long, popping a pill actually aborts your reload animation, the white dot is so small I can barely see where I'm aiming at (on a 50" screen) when I DO use bullet time...this game is all cover mechanics where it used to be diving around corners and clearing rooms out before you landed. These body armor enemies make it so you can barely take out one, maybe two before you hit the floor or clip against some architecture of the level and jump out of bullet time unexpectedly.

And then there's the glitch I just experienced, where I essentially found the exit to a shooting gallery early and then am supposed to have access to a sniper rifle. I see the ammo box, I see the blue bag, and I see the football field out in front of me...but there's no sniper rifle. Being one who rarely experiences glitches in games, I've been running back and forth from locked door to locked door wondering what the hell I'm supposed to be climbing over or what lock I'm supposed to be shooting...turns out I've got to play the last 10 minutes of not-so-great video game over again and hope for a better result!

It's a real shame because I felt like the opening sequence, up to and including when Max dives out of the VIP onto the dance floor, is fucking fantastic. It's the first time I felt like a developer even approximated what it feels like to be in a club (which isn't a huge surprise since the clubs in Ballad of Gay Tony were...fine) and up to that point it's just this whirlwind of action. Even the way the game boots the first time you press play is amazing, with a cold-open pre-main menu cutscene that winds down perfectly into essentially an idle animation that the menu overlays, and then whenever you start the game the cutscene just continues on.

I was sitting on my couch basically cheering as Max Payne 3 unfolded, right up to the point where you jump off a helicopter and have to fight through a bunch of dudes to save the girl. When I hit that point, had no chance of success on medium and then still struggled to get through it on Easy I knew something between me and this iteration of Max were just never going to work out. After a week or so off I come back to it to see if I can get any further and...this happens. I'm glad I only spent $8 on it thanks to Playstation Plus because I might be officially tapping out.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

I usually start that encounter by using bullet time to cap a few of the guys down the way and then diving down the entire staircase of the bleachers, killing the three guys down there and then I work my way back up on the far side.

If you can manage, you can always be moving and make it through just about every part in the game.

Sounds like you should be more careful with your shoot dodging. The game punishes you more than 2 did for dodging into a wall or object or taking a bad angle where bullets still will be hitting you.

Don't mean to sound douchey, I just am reading you say you can't play the game how I just beat it on the hardest difficulty. I spend very little time in cover and am almost always moving.

Don't know why you felt the need to add that bit at the end, but OK, you're the best at Max Payne 3.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Bought it during some Steam sale a while back and just got around to beating it a week or so ago. I will just copy/paste my thoughts I wrote up from my completed games list I keep.

Rating: 4/5

Platform: PC (Mouse and Keyboard)

Time to Completion: 7 Hours

Date Completed: August 6th, 2013

Thoughts:The first 3/4 of the game was pretty much perfect. It always had the right mix of story and combat and it kept switching it up enough that when you were starting to get bored of one the other one kicked in. The last 1/4 however had too much gameplay. While typically that's not a bad thing I found the last few sections of the game getting really boring and repetitive as I found myself constantly getting swarmed out of nowhere or, in the case of several missions, found myself dying again and again because there was some order I was supposed to do a sequence in and until I figured it out it meant constantly reloading.

Over all I really enjoyed it but the last 1/4 of the game kind of lowered the score for me. The last few hours I felt I had to force myself to keep playing just to see how it all ended while the first 3/4 I kept playing because I wanted to.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@theht said:

@artisanbreads said:

@theht said:

Don't know why you felt the need to add that bit at the end, but OK, you're the best at Max Payne 3.

Because I'm just saying what you are saying isn't correct. Plenty of people agree with me. You can beat the game on any difficulty using minimal cover. That's all.

I only bring up the difficulty to show that, not to brag.

And since then, another post has come in saying "you have to use cover, you can hardly ever dive, etc etc". It's just a critique repeatedly thrown at this game and a reason I'm told it's shitty when it's just really not the case whatsoever. I get that not everyone can do it (I suck at plenty of games) but yeah.

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
    CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignore the people saying it relies to heavily on cover because it doesn't. I was doing pretty poorly at the game until I stopped depending on cover so much. The cover system can be useful from time to time and there are a few parts it is basically required but they certainly didn't turn Max Payne into a cover based shooter.That being said it is different than the first two in a bunch of ways. If that is cool with you though it's a really fun game. Though as everyone said the unskippable cutscenes making replaying the game annoying as all hell.

(On an unrelated note, wohoo post number 100)

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was an incredible experience front to back, but not a lot of replay value. Soft aim was the only way to go on the console though (probably different if you buy pc and use the mouse controls obviously). I didn't really care for the multiplayer at all, it had flashes of being great but ended up pretty shallow.

But the single player was one of the best story driven gaming experiences I've had, if you like movies like man on fire or comics like the punisher you should dig it. Would make a better max payne movie than the actual max payne movie.

It was really different from the originals as far as style and story telling though, no real noir except in the flash backs. Worth whatever cheap price it's at now and then some IMO.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33  Edited By spiceninja

It was one of my favorite games last year. I absolutely loved how the combat felt.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@artisanbreads said:

@theht said:

Because I'm just saying what you are saying isn't correct. Plenty of people agree with me. You can beat the game on any difficulty using minimal cover. That's all.

I only bring up the difficulty to show that, not to brag.

And since then, another post has come in saying "you have to use cover, you can hardly ever dive, etc etc". It's just a critique repeatedly thrown at this game and a reason I'm told it's shitty when it's just really not the case whatsoever. I get that not everyone can do it (I suck at plenty of games) but yeah.

Nope. It's impossible. This game is literally impossible to beat without being in cover literally all the time. Anyone who says otherwise is a dirty liar who doesn't understand the mechanics of Max Payne.

PixelRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By PixelRobo

Anyone who is having a tough time getting in to multiplayer the season pass is on sale for $5 bucks which will give you access to all the maps, items, perks, MP skins, and modes for free. If your a person who hasn't bought the pass yet I highly recommend to do so especially if you just started getting into the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.