Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

I want to pre-order this game for PC so BAD but . . .

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Schmollian

Rockstar has such a sketchy track record with the PC versions of their games. GTA 4 ran like ASS and I have heard L.A. Noire had some issues. Max Payne 3 looks extremely good from an artistic stand point and I want it in all of the high resolution glory that my PC is capable of... But if the game plays like shit on PC will it be worth it? Maybe I will get it for 360 first and wait for a steam sale later... Or I could just wait for reviews for the PC version, but that means I will have to... well... wait :/

Anyway, what platform are you guys getting it for?

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bubbly

I plan to get it for PC, but I'm also waiting to see if it runs well.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Vextroid

They say the PC version is being done in-house at the same time as the console versions. The other games were done post-release. The same thing happened with SR for PC. 2 was done by CDProjeckt post release and was shit. 3 was done in-house and it was great (still had issues) but still awesome.

I'll be picking it up for PC.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By louiedog

When do the pre-order incentives go away? The game is almost 6 weeks away. As long as those bonuses stay there's no difference in pre-ordering on Steam now or in 5 weeks when there might be some indication of how it runs.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By zidd

I played it at PAX on a PC and it played great. I dunno what kind of setup it was though.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

Max Payne 2 ran pretty well...

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SeanFoster

I'm also in the "wait and see" camp.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty
    @AndrewB said:

Max Payne 2 ran pretty well...

Different developer. GTA IV is horrendous on PC.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Skar220 said:

Rockstar has such a sketchy track record with the PC versions of their games. GTA 4 ran like ASS and I have heard L.A. Noire had some issues. Max Payne 3 looks extremely good from an artistic stand point and I want it in all of the high resolution glory that my PC is capable of... But if the game plays like shit on PC will it be worth it? Maybe I will get it for 360 first and wait for a steam sale later... Or I could just wait for reviews for the PC version, but that means I will have to... well... wait :/

Anyway, what platform are you guys getting it for?

I've beaten GTA IV 3-4 times on PC. Yes I agree that the game had serious issues, but they were issues that I could totally tolerate. It just didn't bother me that textures popped up, that the controls were dead funky and that the game was an overall resource hog. 

However I will not accept anything other than a technically flawless and a well written, well directed Max Payne 3 so I'm not buying til I made sure.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gizmo

If Rockstar don't release a PC demo they're forcing me to pirate it. I'm not going to buy a full-price PC game just to have it run worse then it would on my consoles.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Seppli

PC. No hurry though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 137

@Zidd said:

I played it at PAX on a PC and it played great. I dunno what kind of setup it was though.

MAX PAYNE STARTED ON PC!!!

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By captain_clayman

max payne i think has a larger pc following than GTA, so i hope the port is well done. i really wanna get it for PC too but i'm kind of skeptical. i'll wait for some benchmarks.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Snail

Won't you have to wait independently of whether you pre-order it or not? You said that your problem was "waiting".

Steam won't run out of stock. When the reviews come out make your decision. With a title like this you'll probably be seeing reviews on launch day or maybe even before.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By korwin

Would be a shame if the PC version is gimped. Hell the MaxFX engine was used to power the original 3Dmark benchmarks (that Matrix rip off lobby scene in 3Dmark 2001 is still awesome :P).

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By rachelepithet

Yeah, Rockstar is whack on PC. GTA4 still won't run well on a top of the line system today. And look at Amazon reviews for PC copies of Bully, LA Noire, etc. to get a better idea.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By InternetCrab

I have never, i repeat never played a Rockstar game on PC. I am very unused to play GTA on an PC. I played Vice City and GTA III on Xbox. I have no idea if the PC version will be flawed, but i want everyone to enjoy games no matter what system they have!

Since playing Rockstar games on Xbox 360, i got LA Noire and GTA IV on my 360, so i will get Max Payne 3 on Xbox 360.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Alan Wake is just so... perfect on PC. Rockstar should've given the MP3 PC development over to Remedy.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeanFoster

I'm waiting a few days to hear the buzz on the PC version. If it's no good I'm getting the Xbox 360 version.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ravenlight

@Gizmo said:

If Rockstar don't release a PC demo they're forcing me to pirate it.

That's what we call a fallacy. Good luck in your career in politics.

roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By roughneck117

Heres a link for the PC specs, and some screenshots. The most interesting thing in the whole page is the fact that the game is 35 gigs. What the fuck is in the game?

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By squirrelnacho

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

Yeah, Rockstar is whack on PC. GTA4 still won't run well on a top of the line system today. And look at Amazon reviews for PC copies of Bully, LA Noire, etc. to get a better idea.

GTA 4 works fine now, if you have the hardware for it.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mandude

I haven't even looked at this since I heard Remedy wasn't behind it, and this news drives me further from playing it, methinks.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By fjordson

Not sure I understand all the worry. I don't think GTA IV or L.A. Noire have much bearing on how MP 3 will be.

GTA IV's PC port was done by a different team (R* Toronto) and was released months after the console release.

L.A. Noire was not even a Rockstar developed game, and was ported to the PC by R* Leeds half a year after the console release.

For Max Payne 3 on the other hand, there hasn't been any sort of indication suggesting that the teams making the console and PC releases are separate. It's also coming out just two weeks after the console version, has DX11 support out of the box, and according to people who played it at PAX East on PC, it ran beautifully with a wide suite of graphical options and tweaks.

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Flawed_System

Xbox 360.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I'm just glad it's trailing the console launch by a couple of weeks or however long. Diablo 3 comes out the same day, and I find it hard to justify buying 2 games in one pay period.

Also, hopefully it doesn't suck and it runs well on the PC.

mcbonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By mcbonjon

I'm getting the PC version of this game. If I can, I'll do a report on how the PC version runs based off my specs.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By DJJoeJoe

While their track record isn't amazing, I also give them some slack cause GTAV was kinda an oddity at the time. Was their completely new engine stuff, all new euphoria tech stuff and it was seemingly developed for the 360 in mind from the get go, did the PC even release at the same time? It was a bit after I though. Anyways the game can run ok if you have the right hardware and tweak some things, not saying you 'need' a beast PC cause I don't have anything other than a $2000 PC I built like 4-5 years ago and I can get acceptable preformance from the game. Fundamental things were wrong with the way they put the game on PC, like the way effects scaled with resolution meaning at release if you had hardware double the power of the 360 the game would struggle to run most the time just simply because of the higher resolution.

Anyways, Rockstar does good work and they do very much seem to be putting effort into the game on ALL platforms, I don't have any huge reasons to doubt their work on the PC. The game even supports the controller, which I appreciate :)

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Barrock

360 CE for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.