Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 17, 2004

The third installment in the Metal Gear Solid franchise is swathed in the Cold War, and it's up to a strangely familiar soldier codenamed Naked Snake to keep the Soviet Union and the United States from all-out nuclear war.

Metal Gear Scanlon 3 : Dan-eater Waiting Room

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

I need a new MGScanlon. It's my subsistence.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Once more I am faced with the ultimate question...

Stay up until 1 and watch MGScanlon?

Or let myself be tortured all through the day tomorrow as I wait to get home and watch it?

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@kasaioni said:

@korwin: hoping people don't go ape shit when he screws up

People will go apeshit if he does well, or if he doesn't.

Drew isn't playing right or Dan is having too much fun or Drew isn't talking enough or Drew isn't calling his buddies enough

Hopefully they're the vocal minority, because this series is still damn enjoyable.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As I'm playing along with these guys I got to face THE END and I decided to do the whole thing with the tranq gun for the first time (previous runs I used live rounds) and it has made my favourite boss fight in the series so much better and more arduous. I even began waiting for him to sleep so I can hold him up so he gives me his camo, then for the best part of an hour it became a duel of long sight aiming with the tranq gun and properly sneaking around the area. His camo helped out MASSIVELY. Took out his bird friend too.

I can't wait for this episode.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LJO1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching the last couple of these, I really think that Drew should replay the early parts of the game off camera so that he can get a better grasp on the various gameplay mechanics.

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I'm playing along with these guys I got to face THE END and I decided to do the whole thing with the tranq gun for the first time (previous runs I used live rounds) and it has made my favourite boss fight in the series so much better and more arduous. I even began waiting for him to sleep so I can hold him up so he gives me his camo, then for the best part of an hour it became a duel of long sight aiming with the tranq gun and properly sneaking around the area. His camo helped out MASSIVELY. Took out his bird friend too.

I guarantee you that The End boss fight will be painful for Drew and not enjoyable at all to watch.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hoodcommando: And drew will end up being back in the lab building again :D

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@dprotp said:

@kasaioni said:

@korwin: hoping people don't go ape shit when he screws up

People will go apeshit if he does well, or if he doesn't.

Drew isn't playing right or Dan is having too much fun or Drew isn't talking enough or Drew isn't calling his buddies enough

Hopefully they're the vocal minority, because this series is still damn enjoyable.

Yah.. granted the last two episodes have been filled with more stumbling than usual, but the comments overall have been getting overwhelmingly negative. It's worrying cause if one were to casually glance over the comments section now it's just a wall of people fighting with each other and generally being very critical of everything with very little positivity in sight.

Kairu_de_Large

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#910  Edited By Kairu_de_Large

@ljo1989 said:

Watching the last couple of these, I really think that Drew should replay the early parts of the game off camera so that he can get a better grasp on the various gameplay mechanics.

I suggested something similar in the comment section of episode 5.

I understand certain people are possibly being a bit too negative, but others are being far too positive which isn't healthy either. Drew just needs to relax a bit more and take things slow, and not be afraid whether or not he's making it interesting enough. Drew, Dan, and Jason are all decent dudes and plenty entertaining/interesting on their own, and no sane person would fault someone for actually sneaking in a sneaking mission. =P

Gregalor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a lot of criticisms of how this series is playing out, but at least I'm not trying to police what people can say in the comments. It's shameful.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm not sure how much replaying and rediscovering mechanics can change the fact that Drew just sucks at Metal Gear. I love this series and I love Drew, BUT HE'S SO BAD! I honestly think he's kind of doomed, and we're doomed to have to suffer through it.

Jangowuzhere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#913  Edited By Jangowuzhere

I wish Dan and Jason didn't hint at the thermal goggles for The Fear fight. I know Drew was getting frustrated, but that doesn't mean they should be trying to rush through the game.

Gregalor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish Dan and Jason didn't hint at the thermal goggles for The Fear fight. I know Drew was getting frustrated, but that doesn't mean they should be trying to rush through the game.

Don't worry, this thing is gonna be 40 hours as it is, at Drew's typical "double the average" rate.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The length of time between Drew playing each time is making him not understand the mechanics very well. Oh well. Just let them play, stop telling them what to do, instead just lend some advice.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@rhombus_of_terror said:

I guarantee you that The End boss fight will be painful for Drew and not enjoyable at all to watch.

So will The Sorrow fight. That fight is going to be at least an hour long.

Gregalor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for Drew's look of betrayal toward Dan when he gets to The Sorrow. He's definitely going to blame him for steering Drew down his murderous path.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nux said:

@hoodcommando said:

@rhombus_of_terror said:

Well, if Drew takes longer then one episode too kill The End, he'll die off age, right?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#920  Edited By kasaioni
    @ravelle said:

@nux said:

@hoodcommando said:

@rhombus_of_terror said:

Well, if Drew takes longer then one episode too kill The End, he'll die off age, right?

That only happens if they save during the fight and don't come back to it until a week later (real time). But if you turn it off for say, a day, something bad happens...

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:
    @ravelle said:

@nux said:

@hoodcommando said:

@rhombus_of_terror said:

That only happens if they save during the fight and don't come back to it until a week later (real time). But if you turn it off for say, a day, something bad happens...

Ah, I forgot you could save in the battle itself.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The over-analysis of these sorts of series always weirds me out, but then I'm generally happy to just enjoy watching this stuff even when it goes horribly wrong.

It also probably helps that my experience with MGS1 through 3 is not dissimilar to Drew's, I'm terrible at the games.

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#923  Edited By Danzig

@nux said:

@hoodcommando said:

@rhombus_of_terror said:

I KNOW!

Every time he starts wasting dudes left and right I cringe. Drew has seriously killed about 75% of the guards so far - at this rate he's gonna have like 80 guys there.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People holding up until MGS4 is strange. The only real changes are the RE4 aiming camera angle, crouch walking, and octocamo. Big stuff yes, but plenty of things about MGS4 are just an HD MGS3.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#925  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The Sorrow fight isn't hard with a decent number of kills. You can shoot through if you want.

Not saying that's how I play it but you guys acting like it's a big deal are overreacting. I stealthed through the game but did kill a lot of dudes doing it and it wasn't hard at all.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan_citi said:

People holding up until MGS4 is strange. The only real changes are the RE4 aiming camera angle, crouch walking, and octocamo. Big stuff yes, but plenty of things about MGS4 are just an HD MGS3.

In a way it's the perfect game for Drew because it has really short gameplay segments intercut with lengthy cutscenes. So basically perfect situation for Drew, least amount of actual gameplay and lots of crazy story.

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Sorrow fight isn't hard with a decent number of kills. You can shoot through if you want.

Not saying that's how I play it but you guys acting like it's a big deal are overreacting. I stealthed through the game but did kill a lot of dudes doing it and it wasn't hard at all.

Did you set off an alert in every area and kill everyone until the guards stopped coming?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan_citi: Those changes make the game very different from MGS3. If Drew has a problem with aiming with L1 and shooting with R1, then he probably just can't play shooters.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#929  Edited By korwin

@dan_citi said:

Those changes are significantly impactful from a game play perspective. Octocamo keeps the game play moving at a quicker pace and the aiming changes are nothing short of game changing (seriously the first person controls in 2 and 3 are clumsy as hell).

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#930  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@humanity said:

@dan_citi said:

and lots of crazy story.

backed up by filler and boredom, I hope Kojima does away with the "you just met this character, now he's going to talk at you for 15 minutes" schtick with MGS5.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@dan_citi said:

and lots of crazy story.

backed up by filler and boredom, I hope Kojima does away with the "you just met this character, now he's going to talk at you for 15 minutes" schtick with MGS5.

If you're into the series and story then you're interested in what those people have to say.

Gregalor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

@dan_citi: Those changes make the game very different from MGS3. If Drew has a problem with aiming with L1 and shooting with R1, then he probably just can't play shooters.

It's weird, because he brings up Halo more than any other game I can think of.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gregalor: My first reaction to MGS3, even though it's now my favourite of the series, was "you shoot with square?!" because I had played MGS4 first. MGS4 brought the most modern controls to the series, so I doubt Drew will have much trouble with controlling the game; especially since you can crouch walk in it as well.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity:

Well MGS4 has a lot to do in it an explore, but that's not Drews feeling during the series so I guess it will be mostly cutscenes.

@korwin said:

@dan_citi said:

Those changes are significantly impactful from a game play perspective. Octocamo keeps the game play moving at a quicker pace and the aiming changes are nothing short of game changing (seriously the first person controls in 2 and 3 are clumsy as hell).

The first person aiming is the same in MGS3 to 4, and is still the best. The thing that makes MGS4 easy is what makes MGS2 easy, the stun pistol. And now getting a stun rifle is even easier (the VSS is attainable in the beginning of act 2.) Drew doesnt stun dudes and that's fine, but it is easier and far more efficient usually to stun instead of kill. MGS4 doesnt have the survivalist aspect is what makes it move faster too.

The Octocamo makes the game more simple for sure, but you still have to sneak around with it. At the very least, the 3rd person aiming makes headshots very simple. But like, being confused by being in a not building all the time in MGS3, will not be cured in MGS4. Having trouble with very overpowered CQC attacks in MGS3 will not be cleared up in MGS4.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@gregalor said:

@kasaioni said:

It's weird, because he brings up Halo more than any other game I can think of.

Halo (at least the Halos he likes; I'll admit I checked out after 3) doesn't have ADS

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan_citi said:

@humanity:

Well MGS4 has a lot to do in it an explore, but that's not Drews feeling during the series so I guess it will be mostly cutscenes.

@korwin said:

@dan_citi said:

The first person aiming is the same in MGS3 to 4, and is still the best. The thing that makes MGS4 easy is what makes MGS2 easy, the stun pistol. And now getting a stun rifle is even easier (the VSS is attainable in the beginning of act 2.) Drew doesnt stun dudes and that's fine, but it is easier and far more efficient usually to stun instead of kill. MGS4 doesnt have the survivalist aspect is what makes it move faster too.

The Octocamo makes the game more simple for sure, but you still have to sneak around with it. At the very least, the 3rd person aiming makes headshots very simple. But like, being confused by being in a not building all the time in MGS3, will not be cured in MGS4. Having trouble with very overpowered CQC attacks in MGS3 will not be cleared up in MGS4.

I don't see why anyone would want to use FPS aiming in MGS4, exept with snipers because you need to. OTS aiming let's you see more around what you're shooting at, and the reticle tells you how precisely how accurate your shots will be.

And the tranq gun makes MGS3 just as easy as 2 and 4, Drew isn't using it so he doesn't realize that.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: Yah I don't really know why he isn't using the tranq as he would have way less alarms. It takes less shots to down a soldier even if you miss the head with the tranq than with regular bullets. Ultimately you're not supposed to be getting into shootouts in these games.

shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know if I'm late or anything but kinda bummed that the title isn't Snake Drewter

shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sjschmidt93 said:

3 is definitely the most frustrating/worst controlling MGS game so it ought to be interesting.

How so? Are you talking about the bad camera in the original release? That is fixed in Subsistence, which I think is the version that they are going to be playing. Controls wise, it's the same as MGS2. I don't think they changed anything with the controls if I remember correctly.

I'd say the mechanics are probably the worst part - having to change camo every 5 minutes, having to fix wounds and eat to recover stamina and health.. That was cool for the first few hours but by the middle of the game I wanted nothing to do with it.

Actually changing camo all the time is really unnecessary. Tigerstripes/leaf works great for most of the game, and you only need to change it in a few specific spots like inside a military base or in the mountains. Surgery-ing yourself in the middle of a boss fight was pretty dumb, I'll give you that

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#940  Edited By Vahleticar

I can't wait to see what he does in THE END boss fight. I've failed it twice now and had to put the game down for a bit. I might just watch instead of play, he's nearly there

Yes +1 for tigerstripe

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to see what he does in THE END boss fight. I've failed it twice now and had to put the game down for a bit. I might just watch instead of play, he's nearly there

Yes +1 for tigerstripe

What are you having problems with? I just literally did it twice.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie: i run out of tranq ammo, i had him sneak up on me and shoot in the back. I just need to get better. He also regained all his stamina by doing some crazy chant

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time I beat The End his parrot got the first bullet. It felt great and I'd do it again.

meissnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it ever confirmed that The End's parrot is the ancestor of E.E.'s parrot in MGS2? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meissnerd: Do parrots live several decades? I also doubt she would own a parrot from Russia. They're the same species, but not the same bird. I think Kojima's referenced/joked they are related or something, though.

@kasaioni: Well anything with a good scope I'd use FPS aiming, to be fair. So only rifles. The Mk.22 is great in every game, but in MGS3 you need to worry about the suppressor so it is somewhat limited in use, where as in MGS4 it's so easy to run around with that and hold dudes up.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

was I the only one surprised when they noticed that its "tiger stripe" I honestly thought it was tiger stripes but the s was cut off of the screen.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan_citi: I feel as if there are enough extra suppressors to go around in MGS3, so I never had that problem of running out. Honestly, the tranq gun is really OP in 2-PW. Thankfully they nerfed it in MGSV with low ammo and bullet drop.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it ever confirmed that The End's parrot is the ancestor of E.E.'s parrot in MGS2? I thought I heard that somewhere.

It's more like a wink and a nod to the existence of the parrot in MGS2.

Gregalor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan_citi said:

@meissnerd: Do parrots live several decades?

Parrots have life spans similar to humans.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#950  Edited By Devil240Z

so is the next episode expected at 12:01 tonight? or is it tomorrow. or not at all because of pax or something?

EDIT: guess no ep tonight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.