Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

"Kept You Waiting, Huh?"

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Edited By danielkempster
    Too expensive for a mere student like myself...
    When the new generation of consoles hit, I was fairly sure that my decision to upgrade would initially swing the way of the PlayStation 3. I wasn't a Sony fanboy, having grown out of that stage at around fourteen, when I finally gave in, bought myself an Xbox and found out what I'd been missing. No, my mind was set on upgrading to Sony's third home console because of the years of fun I'd been provided with by my PlayStation 2, and the PlayStation before that. On top of that, I was a lot more interested in Sony's first-party franchises like God of War and Gran Turismo. I was convinced that the PlayStation 3 would be the best place to invest my money. Needless to say, a few things resulted in that assurance changing. The price, while not unreasonable in my opinion, was way out of my range, and continues to be. The games, particularly the first-party titles I was looking forward to, didn't materialise around the time of the console's launch. These factors ultimately deterred me from buying the PlayStation 3, and I finally entered the current generation of consoles when I purchased an Xbox 360 in April last year.

I cannot wait to play this!
    I've been happy with the 360 for the most part, despite losing one to an E74 error in February and then having it stolen before I could send it off for repairs. It's served me well - the games are good, the controller is comfortable and Microsoft seem to offer it a lot of support. But in spite of all this, there's still a part of my brain that wants to play the PlayStation 3. The reason for this - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. I've been a fan of the franchise for years, having played MGS1, 2 and 3, as well as the two MSXMetal Gear games, the two Ac!d games on PSP, and MGS: Portable Ops on the same. Despite showing all this love for the series, though, I've never had the opportunity to play the most recent instalment in what is surely one of my most favourite franchises in gaming. That is, until now.

My PS3-owning flat mate \and I have been talking about doing a console swap for some time, and we finally got around to it this morning. That means that for the next week, I am the acting guardian of a shiny black PlayStation 3 and a copy of Metal Gear Solid 4, while she looks after my 360 and a few games including Dead Space and Forza 2. I cannot even begin to tell you how stoked I am about this. The swap is in effect for one week, so I intend to play the hell out of MGS4 and, depending on timing, maybe check out Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Prince of Persia too. You can expect a full verdict on MGS4 later in the week. Thanks for reading, guys. See you around.

DanK

---

Currently playing - Final Fantasy V (PS1)
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By danielkempster
    When the new generation of consoles hit, I was fairly sure that my decision to upgrade would initially swing the way of the PlayStation 3. I wasn't a Sony fanboy, having grown out of that stage at around fourteen, when I finally gave in, bought myself an Xbox and found out what I'd been missing. No, my mind was set on upgrading to Sony's third home console because of the years of fun I'd been provided with by my PlayStation 2, and the PlayStation before that. On top of that, I was a lot more interested in Sony's first-party franchises like God of War and Gran Turismo. I was convinced that the PlayStation 3 would be the best place to invest my money. Needless to say, a few things resulted in that assurance changing. The price, while not unreasonable in my opinion, was way out of my range, and continues to be. The games, particularly the first-party titles I was looking forward to, didn't materialise around the time of the console's launch. These factors ultimately deterred me from buying the PlayStation 3, and I finally entered the current generation of consoles when I purchased an Xbox 360 in April last year.

I've been happy with the 360 for the most part, despite losing one to an E74 error in February and then having it stolen before I could send it off for repairs. It's served me well - the games are good, the controller is comfortable and Microsoft seem to offer it a lot of support. But in spite of all this, there's still a part of my brain that wants to play the PlayStation 3. The reason for this - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. I've been a fan of the franchise for years, having played MGS1, 2 and 3, as well as the two MSXMetal Gear games, the two Ac!d games on PSP, and MGS: Portable Ops on the same. Despite showing all this love for the series, though, I've never had the opportunity to play the most recent instalment in what is surely one of my most favourite franchises in gaming. That is, until now.

My PS3-owning flat mate \and I have been talking about doing a console swap for some time, and we finally got around to it this morning. That means that for the next week, I am the acting guardian of a shiny black PlayStation 3 and a copy of Metal Gear Solid 4, while she looks after my 360 and a few games including Dead Space and Forza 2. I cannot even begin to tell you how stoked I am about this. The swap is in effect for one week, so I intend to play the hell out of MGS4 and, depending on timing, maybe check out Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Prince of Persia too. You can expect a full verdict on MGS4 later in the week. Thanks for reading, guys. See you around.

DanK

---

Currently playing - Final Fantasy V (PS1)
    ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ElectricHaggis

I know the feeling.  I spent £300 on a PS3 just to play MGS4.  The insane thing is, to me, it was well worth it.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

MGS4's a great experience the first time through, but it gets ridiculously old afterwards. Definitely pick up Uncharted, though.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Hitchenson

I bought my PS3 for the sole reason of MGS4... and some people may be satisfied with the purchase. But I so wish I didn't now...

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By c1337us
    Red said:
    "MGS4's a great experience the first time through, but it gets ridiculously old afterwards. Definitely pick up Uncharted, though."
    I dont know about ridiculously old but I would agree that it doesnt have the replayability of any of the other titles from the series. Also anyone who said you should get Uncharted is absolutely correct, its a great game. I would also reccomend Folklore if you can get hold of it and Killzone 2 of course is a well known PS3 exclusive but a very good one and worth its reputation.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator

a console swap sounds like a great idea, i might have to try that for myself. Although, whoever I lend my 360 to is bound to destroy my kill/death ratio on gears 2, so maybe not...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.