Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

MGS4

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sunjammer

Finally got to play it. From the first 2 hours of play (which i understand isn't much), it's the most unpleasant game i currently own for the PS3. The previous titles were retarded, but endearingly. MGS4 is the bad kind of retarded. At some point, the use of barely altered cow moos as the Gecko "roar" was greenlighted, and that's fucking emblematic of the whole experience. 

Kid with the keys to his dad's Ferrari. That's the vibe i get from this game. People have GOT to stop apologizing for Kojima's bullshit, because he has consistently had his hands on something good for years but has always managed to make those things stupider than they need be. That isn't the sign of a master of his field. It's the sign of someone who needs to be told no.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sunjammer

Finally got to play it. From the first 2 hours of play (which i understand isn't much), it's the most unpleasant game i currently own for the PS3. The previous titles were retarded, but endearingly. MGS4 is the bad kind of retarded. At some point, the use of barely altered cow moos as the Gecko "roar" was greenlighted, and that's fucking emblematic of the whole experience. 

Kid with the keys to his dad's Ferrari. That's the vibe i get from this game. People have GOT to stop apologizing for Kojima's bullshit, because he has consistently had his hands on something good for years but has always managed to make those things stupider than they need be. That isn't the sign of a master of his field. It's the sign of someone who needs to be told no.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

Keep playing, it gets better. I do warn you, however, there is likely going to be more cutscene then gameplay.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Yup. Cutscenes between each chapter are really long. I made (and ate) dinner all while it was playing in the background. Play a little more though. It does get a little more interesting. Personally I didn't like MGS4 a whole lot in comparison to the previous titles but I do admit the quality of the game is great.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By FCKSNAP

The fact that you hate makes me love it even more. ^_^

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Ghostiet

@Sunjammer: I don't think it's apologizing for Kojima. I think it's pretty obvious and blatant to say that MGS games require a huge amount of suspension of disbelief and love to the style in general.

Personally, I don't find Kojima's shenanigans more insulting to my intelligence than this shit they did to Dante's poetry recently.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

No Caption Provided
    Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sunjammer

"It's not for you" is bullshit. I loved the original MG's i still think Metal Gear Solid is one of the modern masterpieces of videogames, and a truly revolutionary experience. I was as excited about MGS2 as anyone, and i was as weirded out and alienated by it as anyone. MGS3 was a big step up from MGS2, but this is just freaking bananas. 

Now I've played a LOT longer than last time, and I am still ice cold on it. The wac-a-mole "firefights" with infinitely respawning enemies cuing up from the same door, the absolutely DEAD AI... The "chase sequences" that drop to a loading screen every moment you turn a corner.. The EPICALLY boring plot. 
    Old Snake: "Boring plot..?"
    Yes, Snake, the plot is boring, but worse it is told boringly. The camera rests on a weary snake fidgeting with his cigarette, while another character wanders back and forth, droning on and on through an unabridged manuscript that never ends. Characters make their point within the first few paragraphs, but drone on through another 8 to say the same things three times in a row, blended in with technobabble, as Snake chimes in with repetitions of the last thing said. 
    Old Snake: "The last thing said.."    

My favorite bits, which i understand are par for the course, are when Snake has just killed a dozen men, and then drops to his knees to talk about his boss's marriage on the codec. This is new shit that is absolutely pandering to its own cosmology. The game tries its hardest to crossreference all the previous titles

The game takes its sweet ass time trying to tell me very simple things, and tells those things awkwardly and in poor style. When it's a GAME it looks and plays average, with Snake's awkward constipated "run" being a constant eyesore, and such odd contrivances as firing from cover only being available to single-handed weapons, and having to drop in and out of the start menu to equip items for the inventory "slots".  

I dunno what else to say guys. I think the pacing and rhythm is a complete abomination. It pauses jumps, pops, speeds up and slows down at absolutely random moments. Characters are uniformly uninteresting with little to say other than You Are Old and You Might Die and Battlefield Battlefield Battlefield on the Battlefield, Snake's voice acting is consistently cringeworthy, and the gameplay veers between being oddly nice and tight and completely out of its league.  

I'll stick with it for a while longer, but it really seems to be trying its hardest to turn me off. Can someone give me a hint for a moment where it's supposed to turn good? 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @super_mario_john said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    mgs4 got 10/10 from practically everyone. 
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By time allen

calling mgs4's plot "epically boring" is just a little bit naive. sure, it may have a bit of a slow start and it may take the majority of the first act to pick up momentum, but the plot for mgs4 is near impeccable. it's also snake's last chapter in the official mgs canon, so obviously there is going to be some name dropping here and there. if you don't like the way mgs4 was put together and you don't like the interactive media influences, then i have no idea what you are doing playing kojima games.

besides, the rest of the world seems to disagree with you. :P i'm not saying that i follow whatever the majority says, but it is pretty hard to argue with those scores.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.