Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

Soundtrack is lacking (spoilers)

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By elbow

After playing it again, and beating the game, I can't fathom why Kojima went with the soundtrack that he did, and even moreso after watching the bonus DVD, I'm completely baffled.  I just don't know why he would go for such an overwhelming sombre tone and not include some heavy hitting orchestral tracks? Specially when you're facing Liquid during the MGS4 part, good God, I just came out of listening to Snake Eater theme which had my heart pumping and all, then comes that totally depressing theme.

Seriously Kojima, would it have hurt to toss in the MGS2 theme song? Would it have?

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DarkLegend

No, the soundtrack was good, just not as good as MGS 2 or 3.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By epic_pets

Its not bad at all, the sound track is great. and they are trying for something new

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By elbow

Can't say I agree with you guys. I was expecting an epic on all fronts, and the soundtrack was underwhelming for the most part.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By suneku

I thought it was good... but I liked 2 and 3's soundtrack more.

Box3ru13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Box3ru13

i liked 2 and 3's better but it was still good just not classic status like 2 or 3.

And yeah the snake eater theme> any other song ever.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By elbow
    Box3ru13 said:
    "i liked 2 and 3's better but it was still good just not classic status like 2 or 3.

"

The theme from MGS2 is a epic and as thought provoking as the best. Personally, it really made the graveyard scene in MGS3 emotionally impactful.
    trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By trulyalive

I loved the soundtrack for MGS4. There are certain tracks that are heavy orchestral and the like but a big part of it is reflecting Snakes aging, and as well as that a lot of tracks convey more cinematic conventions of building up suspense, specifically Next-Gen Control and Guns of the Patriots

I enjoy MGS2 & 3's soundtracks, but I loved MGS4's

kumis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By kumis
    elbow said:
    "Box3ru13 said:
    "i liked 2 and 3's better but it was still good just not classic status like 2 or 3.

"

The theme from MGS2 is a epic and as thought provoking as the best. Personally, it really made the graveyard scene in MGS3 emotionally impactful."
    They can't use it because it is too similar to an old Russian orchestral song. Can't remember the name of it but there is a youtube video where it is being played to Kojima. The main melody is basically the same, so they can't use it anymore.

And I thought many of the songs were epic on the same level as the MGS2 theme, which I am very fond of. Old Snake, Father & Son, Metal Gear Saga. Those are some really great songs.
    The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By The_Icon

I loved all the soundtracks, specially the ones listed by kumis above.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Homer

Yeah I don't really like the soundtrack either.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Red

I found the soundtrack more ambient. In the fight VS Liquid I was so totally pumped with Snake Eater but then when 'Old Snake' came on I just thought "Wait, these guys are just old men...." and it really added to the feeling. I was so mad that they didn't have the Metal Gear Solid Theme (the one in the MGS2 opening).

All being said, the soundtrack didn't get me humming (except for that song Sunny sang) but it did bring up the feeling of the game. The B'n'B fights were just creepy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.