Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

Metal Gear Solid V official!

• 114 results
    FFFFFFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@yummylee: I was sure of it, but now listening to the line and then a clip the end of MGS4 - yeah, he sounds a lot older than I remember.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Hm. Let's hope that trailer was edited heavily because the bandaged guy voice by Jack Bauer doesn't make it out of that jeep alive. And if he does, he certainly doesn't go with Big "Now sounds like John Dimaggio" Boss and Ocelot "Now looks like Doc Emmet Brown" Ocelot.

I am so hyped up right now. I cannot fucking wait to rebuild my base under Diamond Dogs, and scour the world as a mercenary. I just reeeeely hope Sniper Wolf makes it into this game, since Big Boss trained her in sniping.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So why does Big Boss suddenly have a horn growing out of his forehead at the end of the trailer?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@authenticm said:

When Big Boss asks Ishmael who he is, Ishmael points to Big Boss.

Oh man. I thought that was just some funky animations but that doesn't make sense cause this is likely a very polished demo and they would have ironed that out if it wasn't intentional.

I wouldn't be surprised if Big Boss is going through some form of PTSD -- or at least MGS' interpretation of PTSD, where flaming whales come crashing through the sky. Although that could be some weird trickery by the new Psycho Mantis derivative character they've got going on there.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Wikitoups

I really really love that song that was playing was from garbage!

I thought MGS4 was ok, But I think i'm done with metal gear, great for the time that I played it.

Maybe I'll come back when there's a refresh?

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @superwristbands said:

@authenticm said:

Oh man. I thought that was just some funky animations but that doesn't make sense cause this is likely a very polished demo and they would have ironed that out if it wasn't intentional.

I wouldn't be surprised if Big Boss is going through some form of PTSD -- or at least MGS' interpretation of PTSD, where flaming whales come crashing through the sky. Although that could be some weird trickery by the new Psycho Mantis derivative character they've got going on there.

Given the time period in which the game takes place, isn't it possible that IS Psycho Mantis?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By I_Stay_Puft
    @cmblasko said:

@yummylee said:
    @superwristbands said:

@authenticm said:

Given the time period in which the game takes place, isn't it possible that IS Psycho Mantis?

Was thinking the same thing could be Psycho as a kid.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

@yummylee said:
    @superwristbands said:

@authenticm said:

Nah, I'm pretty sure it was a woman.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@yummylee said:

@cmblasko said:

@yummylee said:
    @superwristbands said:

@authenticm said:

Yeah it seems to be a female red head. Don't think it's Psycho Mantis. Could definitely just be someone similar though, Metal Gear we are talking here. They've done this with bosses before.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I wonder who Miller is referring to when he says ''what about him?'' after Snake is declared to be in a coma.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@cmblasko said:

@yummylee said:
    @superwristbands said:

@authenticm said:

Yeah it seems to be a female red head. Don't think it's Psycho Mantis. Could definitely just be someone similar though, Metal Gear we are talking here. They've done this with bosses before.

Where are you guys getting female from? I saw a red headed child with no real way of identifying the gender. Totally possible I missed something though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Hell, they've done it with more than just bosses. The series is entrenched in an insane amount of recurring references, gags, and callbacks to previous events in the series. The Phantom Pain teaser trailer in particular was filled with 'em, and this one also featured a white horse much like The Boss'.

This reminds me that I really oughta complete Peace Walker and see the real ending. Unfortunately I'm not the biggest fan of the game so I've been holding it off for a while...

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@yummylee said:
    @superwristbands said:

@authenticm said:

Yeah, I wouldn't also be surprised if there was some kind of "split personality" coping with trauma thing that happened. Would play right into Kojima's wheelhouse and fit with the "From Fox two phantoms are born." Ishmael is also the narrator of Moby Dick. He "leads" Big Boss to his own white whale, Outer Heaven. Or something equally as silly.

GACKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads said:

@yummylee said:

@cmblasko said:

@yummylee said:
    @superwristbands said:

@authenticm said:

Where are you guys getting female from? I saw a red headed child with no real way of identifying the gender. Totally possible I missed something though.

If I remember correctly Psycho Mantis was born in 1970, Before Snake goes into a coma it's post Peace Walker (1974). So include that nine years he was in a coma. It could possibly be a young Psycho Mantis.

CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

So what do you guys think the "V has come to" part is about? Volgin?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Yummylee

@superwristbands: I dunno, something about the hair just made me instinctively assume it was a female character. If it is Mantis, it could tie into the fire theme that's going on, since he burned down his village or something when he learnt of his powers. But then, according to the metal gear wiki, he also suffered extreme burns because of the incident, which I assume would include his hair leaving him bald.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lack of Hayter has me really bummed out. It's like anyone but Kevin Conroy voicing Batman, David Hayter is Solid Snake/Big Boss, and Kevin Conroy is Batman. My excitement for this game has dropped considerably.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what do you guys think the "V has come to" part is about? Volgin?

I assume this 'V' is the reason why they've numbered MGS5 with a Roman numeral this time at least. As for its relevance, nothing really springs to mind. Maybe it's yet another crazy Moby Dick parable? :P

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Oh, also, so why does Snake look like he has a horn (or probably a metal plate or something) in his head?

No Caption Provided

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I just remembered how to love.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SuperWristBands

@yummylee: does it say it burned his hair? Or rather his scalp so that it couldn't grow back? (I assume that's how burns work but I don't know)

Cause if it is the same Psycho Mantis the burns could be any where else on his body as it's all covered. Though I don't know much about Psycho Mantis so... yeah, just kinda talkin' at this point :p

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So apparently this is still current-gen?

No Caption Provided

CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Also, it looks like they didn't even ask Hayter according to his most recent tweet.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, also, so why does Snake look like he has a horn (or probably a metal plate or something) in his head?

No Caption Provided

Aha, I guess the arm at least confirms (sorta...who knows with this game) that the majority of MGSV may actually take place during the Phantom Pain era. I had assumed the full game itself would take place during the Ground Zeroes section via flashbacks and would routinely hark back to the 'present' during specific story moments or something.

Also, i have no idea what's going on with that horn thing but it looks bloody ridiculous.

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crosstheatlantic said:

No Caption Provided

I suppose it could be a reference to 'Project Ogre' too. I saw shrapnel and not a horn though.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You people need to play peace walker right now. This ia a direct continuation of it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Confirmed: Big Boss is a T-800.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

""Ground Zeroes" is a prologue of "MGSV". 9 years after that event will be "The Phantom Pain". MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game "TPP". The game play demo I presented today is the opening of "TPP" which is tutorial that starts from crawling."

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ldp1im

CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

You people need to play peace walker right now. This ia a direct continuation of it.

I've honestly been thinking about buying the HD collection (even though I have the one they put out on PS2) and going back through all of them again but this time throwing in that HD version of Peace Walker. I started up MGS1 and got up through the first Vulcan battle (in the tank). Might have to follow through on that now when I'm done with Infinite.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

Yeah. Or, at the very least, read up on the major story beats.

If you're going to play Peace Walker then the HD collection from a few years back is the way to go.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By JZ

Ooh older but not mustache old ocelot. I'm super stoked for just that.

GACKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still confused about whether or not Ground Zeroes and TPP are separate games, specially the recent tweets from Kojima.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Doesn't that dude have a mechanical hand at the start of Peace Walker? The chap who flicks his finger to reveal a lighter and lights Boss's cigar. Might be no connection but I recall that.

CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
    JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooh right volgon was fryed to death by lighting

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this means the story is over at the end of MGS4 and stays that way. I don't mind a continuation of the story after Peace Walker and maybe eventually getting around to them making proper remakes of Metal Gear 1 and 2 but leave Old Snake alone and i certainly don't want to play as 90 years old Big Boss.

""Ground Zeroes" is a prologue of "MGSV". 9 years after that event will be "The Phantom Pain". MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game "TPP". The game play demo I presented today is the opening of "TPP" which is tutorial that starts from crawling."

What would be really amazing is that after the prologue you no longer play as Snake but rather the original Raiden because turns out he too was a clone all along.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So when is this supposed to take place in the time line? And what the fuck is Kojima smoking?

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

You know what excites me most, is that the coma scenario gives Kojima even greater opportunities to be crazy in ways we can't even predict.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Yummylee
    @jz said:

Ooh right volgon was fryed to death by lighting

Yep, goes to show you how damned impressive the FOX engine is considering its lighting is powerful enough to kill!

Also, Volgon lol.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So when is this supposed to take place in the time line? And what the fuck is Kojima smoking?

Er, well the Ground Zeroes prologue is set after Peace Walker which is set in 1974 (which is already after the Les Enfant Terrible project that spawns the Snake clones has begun), and Big Boss goes into a coma for 9 years so... mid to late eighties?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

I hope this means the story is over at the end of MGS4 and stays that way. I don't mind a continuation of the story after Peace Walker and maybe eventually getting around to them making proper remakes of Metal Gear 1 and 2 but leave Old Snake alone and i certainly don't want to play as 90 years old Big Boss.

@artisanbreads said:

What would be really amazing is that after the prologue you no longer play as Snake but rather the original Raiden because turns out he too was a clone all along.

Holy shit that would be the opposite of amazing. Can't pull that Raiden move again.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

<p>It sorta bums me out but I can't make myself care about anything metal gear related anymore. Maybe it's more anything Kojima related. Grumble grumble whatever I'll still play it.</p>

EDIT Alright watched the trailer. No idea what's happening and what a weird choice of song but I'm interested.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even KNOW how is this supposed to take place after Peace Walker now, particularly with Miller being there after the stuff you find out about him in the 'true ending' wich I didn't like actually ... I mean Pacifica Ocean!? that's just stupid even for Metal Gear. But this just looks great I don't know half the stuff is going on but looks just awesome.

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By SnakeLinkSonic

@angeln7: Paz's true nature was a little too over-the-top for me. If they can find a way make that seem less ridiculous than what it was, bring it on.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Still disappointed Hayter's voice won't be in the game. I keep hoping this is some gigantic red herring on the part of him and Kojima.

COLLUSION!

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

All of this is Metal Gear Ac!d 3.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, uhhh. It was Ground Zeroes all along, and Ground Zeroes is actually just Metal Gear Solid V? Kojima, you so crazy.

On a related note, I am somewhat excited for this. I should really get a PS3 so I can actually play MGS4 however.

Ground Zeroes and MGS V TPP are actually still separate games. TPP being announced currently on current gen systems, as with GZ (Prologue to TPP) they won't talk about systems.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angeln7: Paz's true nature was a little too over-the-top for me. If they can find a way make that seem less ridiculous than what it was, bring it on.

Yeah I didn't care for that , I thought her character before that was alright as some sort of guide for Big Boss into this new central america culture ... but hey Pacifica Ocean!...I just hate that name is so stupid like that's not even a name!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.