Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

FPS, Resolutions and graphic comparison of each version.

• 60 results
    Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok Konami now released the info's of the differences between each version including screens.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Also there are screens that is showing the differences between old and next gen.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Note: This comes directly from Konami:

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/gz/en/products/compare.html

As for the resolutions: The PS3 and 360 version seem to run in sub 720P.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

PS4 version has more rocks!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bigjeffrey

Xbox one version looks like a god damn n64 game.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I am stunned that the PS3/360 versions look as good as they do. If they can hit that as well as a rock solid 30fps it may be a good version to buy if you don't have a PS4.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hmmmmm, that's very nice nice..... now if only the remade snake eater with this engine

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, are we sure they didn't just post the same pic twice for the 360/XBOne-comparison?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see the individual pixels!!!

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, are we sure they didn't just post the same pic twice for the 360/XBOne-comparison?

hmmmm, I'd say focus on the ground in the middle that's sharper on Xbox one, but yeah I can see what you mean.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Humanity
    @crithon said:

@vierastalo said:

hmmmm, I'd say focus on the ground in the middle that's sharper on Xbox one, but yeah I can see what you mean.

I think they must have ported the Ngage version or something!

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The PS3/360 versions look pretty damn good. I'm sure those versions will run just fine.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wow, this 1080/720 thing is really happening a lot more then I would have hoped. Well maybe hoped is not the right word since I'll be buying majority of my games on PS4 regardless, as I did back on PS3. But still sucks seeing the massive resolution hit on the X1.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

So basically it's a choice between better graphical performance on the PS4 and the Raiden mission on Xbox One. I'll have to hold off on making a decision until I see the two versions in motion and know a little more about the exclusive DLC.

Loading Video...

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope last gen is native 720 as well. Looking forward to this on Ps4.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@isomeri: I love the way Metal Gear often makes fun of itself. That last scene with the watermelon put a big ol' grin on my face.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

Wait, how is Raiden in the game? Isn't this way before his time?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, how is Raiden in the game? Isn't this way before his time?

It is a bonus mission. The Xbox One gets a Raiden one and the Playstation one get a nastalgia MGS one.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't mean to complain, but this should really be in the Ground Zeroes forum.

Either way, nice to see 1080P/60FPS confirmed for the PS4 version! Also, nice to see that the last gen versions still look really good for last gen games, even if they are sub-720P.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: what if ground zero comes in a box set with phantom pain 3 years from now? Would it still be considered on topic?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Darji

@mooseymcman said:

I don't mean to complain, but this should really be in the Ground Zeroes forum.

Either way, nice to see 1080P/60FPS confirmed for the PS4 version! Also, nice to see that the last gen versions still look really good for last gen games, even if they are sub-720P.

I am pretty sure it goes for both versions. The engine is done and ready to go. The rest now is building the whole game.

But if a mod wants he can move it I guess..

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@crithon: @darji: I just mean that this is information from a Ground Zeroes website for Ground Zeroes the game, so it should be in the Ground Zeroes forum. Yes, this probably will apply to Phantom Pain when that game comes out, but not necessarily. The same engine running the same basic game systems does not necessarily mean that it'll run exactly the same. Phantom Pain is supposed to have much larger environments, and that could lead to a lower FPS on PS4/Xbox One. Or, perhaps, further refinements to the engine in the mean time could mean that the Xbox One version would be bumped up to 1080P. There's no way of knowing.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Every version looks amazing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

PS4 coming out on top yet again. Who would have thought. =p

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

@vierastalo said:

Barely any different at all. The shading on the ground and his suit is better, but that is basically it. PS3 vs PS4 is like night and day on the other hand. Add in the fact that only PS4 has 1080p... it is pretty obvious what system is the best choice for this game.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cloudymusic

@karkarov said:

@crithon said:

@vierastalo said:

Barely any different at all. The shading on the ground and his suit is better, but that is basically it. PS3 vs PS4 is like night and day on the other hand. Add in the fact that only PS4 has 1080p... it is pretty obvious what system is the best choice for this game.

Certain objects like the fence boards, the barbed wire, and the barrels are perceptibly less blurry in the Xbox One screenshot, but not nearly as drastically as the difference between the PS3 and PS4 screenshots.

The texture resolution on the PS4 screenshot looks really nice.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Fox engine... you're as good as they said

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@crithon said:

@vierastalo said:

You can tell the Xbox One version is native 720p and the 360 is sub 720 upscaled, but other than that I agree there's little difference. But it does run at twice the frame rate so that's always a plus.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

sand, dirt, canvas, ... who cares? It's the kind of game that's going to look brown and uninteresting no matter what tech you throw at it.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Probably upscaled to 720

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mosdl said:

@jimmyfenix said:

Probably upscaled to 720

It specifically mentions in the chart that in is scaled internally for PS3 and 360, which im assuming is just another way of saying upscaled.

But im still kind of amazed that the last gen versions look so good.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#30  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I really wish they'd done an actual comparison between all four versions, instead of just comparing PS4 to PS3 and Xbone to 360. The results won't affect me since I only have a PS3 and 360, but I'm curious just how the Xbone stacks up compared to the PS4 directly. You can't actually compare the two from these screens.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's hardly a difference between any of those shots. Seems like it's mainly just fanboy BS to cause so much fuss on other sites. If someone really cared about power/resolution THAT much they would make their own PC and mainly play on it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bybeach

It's funny I see the detail most on the middle barrel in the Xbox 0ne pic, and actually around it, but the rest looks same-y. I say I reserve till people see the games run. Or at least I need a whole lot more comparison pics, of all different sorts.

I want a PS4 but.....And I have a PS3 and an Xbox 360

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Darji

@deathstriker said:

There's hardly a difference between any of those shots. Seems like it's mainly just fanboy BS to cause so much fuss on other sites. If someone really cared about power/resolution THAT much they would make their own PC and mainly play on it.

Wait you are honestly see no difference between old and next gen alone? I think you need glasses. The difference is clear. It is like saying there is no difference between SD and HD.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@darji: can't move topics right now, the tool isn't working. The only option is to delete this topic and someone can repost it. Please be careful which forums you're putting your new posts into.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Deathstriker

@darji said:

@deathstriker said:

Wait you are honestly see no difference between old and next gen alone? I think you need glasses. The difference is clear. It is like saying there is no difference between SD and HD.

There's a difference, but nothing noteworthy. The PS4 shot has more rocks and more readable text than the PS3 image... OMG!!!!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: it is not that bad since this will most likely go for both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. To be honest. I think Ground Zeroes version will even a bi more unoptimized so these stats could not be waht we will see with Ground Zero in terms of Framerate for example. In fact CVG already said that the Xbox One version has still framerate problems.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By micemoney

@evo said:

Every version looks amazing.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@deathstriker said:

There's definitely noticeable differences between PS4 and PS3, but if you're looking at the embedded screenshots instead of at full resolution it doesn't look as dramatic.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/11/118274/2601950-1455650360-inEpT.png

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/11/118274/2601951-6671258040-ikm1e.png

The PS4 version is noticeably clearer and sharper, you can actually read the sign on the left, whereas in the PS3 version parts of it are too blurry to make out. Shadows are improved, and textures are much clearer. There also appears to be more geometry in the PS4 version, there's more rocks scattered around the ground on PS4. They're not night and day differences, but the PS4 version definitely looks better, especially since it runs at native 1080p versus the PS3's sub-720 upscaled to 720p. I agree that people who want their games to look the best should invest in a PC, but MGSV unfortunately is console only right now.

OP should have included all of the screens though, the lighting differences really come out in the night shots. The PS4/Xbone versions also once again showcase more geometry, with more grass and rocks on PS4, and some more objects and elevated land in the upper-right corner of the Xbone shot that are absent in the 360 one.

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/gz/en/products/_img/compare/pic_night_ps_ps3.jpg

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/gz/en/products/_img/compare/pic_night_ps_ps4.jpg

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/gz/en/products/_img/compare/pic_night_xbox_360.jpg

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/gz/en/products/_img/compare/pic_night_xbox_one.jpg

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128: Yeah, those are better examples and seeing it bigger does help. I still don't see much of a difference between X1 and PS4 though. If the game really is short (2 to 4 hours) then I guess it doesn't matter since I won't be playing it anytime soon anyway.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: It doesn't help that they didn't release direct comparisons between the two, instead only comparing PS4 to 3 and the Bone to 360, but PS4 does run in 1080p while the Xbone is only 720p. I think they'll probably otherwise look more or less identical since the Xbone is running at a lower resolution to compensate for its lack of power relative to the PS4.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the 360 and Xbox One versions look... almost identical. Nice frame rate on the Xbox One and all but...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Looks like I'm getting the PS4 version, which I already was anyways, now it is just waiting till its around $20.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vierastalo said:

The shadow and texture resolution are higher on the xbox one version. The shaders are probably higher quality, too.

Also don't think the 360 version has anisotropic filtering.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128: I agree, the Xbox looks almost identical if not for small variations.

I still think the Xbone versions might look decent, even Saints Row 3rd running on pc at 720 with everything set to high did look better then on the consoles. Higher texture quality, more stable frame rate.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: I cannot argue with that logic, although personally, I'd wait for a box set with Phantom Pain along with it because that wait is gonna be LONG.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By musubi

@deathstriker: Quit with this. "Well if people cared about graphics they would play on PC" is consistently the dumbest comment I see when console comparisons come up.

Just because some people play mainly on consoles doesn't preclude them from wanting the best version of a thing on console because when it comes down to it some people just prefer consoles. And this is a game that isn't even coming to PC further making brining up PC pointless.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@demoskinos said:

@deathstriker: Quit with this. "Well if people cared about graphics they would play on PC" is consistently the dumbest comment I see when console comparisons come up.

Just because some people play mainly on consoles doesn't preclude them from wanting the best version of a thing on console because when it comes down to it some people just prefer consoles. And this is a game that isn't even coming to PC further making brining up PC pointless.

Why do you hate people making comments about the superior PC version but make threads when its about the superior console version?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@bigjeffrey said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has happen to almost every games on the new gen to the point where we should just have a thread every time there is NO difference instead of when there is one. Let's just do that and assume this is the norm until said other wise, that way we wont have to have fanboys on both sides staging a dick measuring contest in everyone of these threads.

On topic, wow last gen hardware still holding it in there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.