Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Let's be REAL; Kojima purposely ruined his series to avoid Konami funding future MGS projects (SPOILERS)

fierzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fierzer

The facts:

• People fell in love with Naked Snake/Big Boss after MGS3. So much that his story and legend had become more romanticized than any other character in the series. Even Solid Snake (probably the intentioned main protagonist).
    • Most people expected this game to be far and above everything else we've gotten from MG games (story-wise). Possibly the fall of a great legend. Or more tragic events shaping the transformation of Naked Snake into Big Boss. Subconsciously, many people wanted to continue rooting for Naked Snake and be able to look back at the series and justify his actions and always see him as a grey character who lost his way due to circumstances and situations that weren't in his control.
    • Instead, we got some cheap story that arguably is the easiest way to make us look down upon Big Boss as merely a coward. Who basically we can't root for in any way after this type of ending. Kojima turned potentially the greatest game story-wise where we can see up close the transformation of the original protagonist (outside of The Boss) into an antagonist. Shaped by adversity and feuds that would forever change his perception about what and how this world truly works.
    • Audiences love when they can somehow feel connected to an antagonist's pain; but Kojima wanted none of that Dark Knight effect (where the Joker became more polarizing than Batman himself). Partly because his vision was to always keep Big Boss from becoming romanticized, but more importantly I think he KNEW this type of negative reaction would be evoked if he laid out the story this way. I mean what is there left to tell now? The interest in Naked Snake dies, and we've already been told the Solid Snake story. So what future MGS projects can Konami really generate interest with now? This was Kojima's last game, and you can tell his hubris was stapled across it. His name plastered after every mission, and with an ending that's basically a giant FU to Konami knowing full well that they don't have much to work with now.
    • Lots of people making threads justifying the ending and drawing conclusions of what it means, and glorifying how it's been the best possible ending. Yes, if we put in our own conjecture and try hard enough we can make any story work. However, most of it is based off our own perceptions and theories on what Kojima meant with this ending.. so ultimately it's irrelevant because it's based on theory as opposed to fact or from Kojimas mouth (through his content) himself. Looking at the game barebone without all of the added conjecture we all throw in to make sense of what we think Kojima is trying to say, we objectively see an ending and story that falls flat to what we have come to expect from usual Metal Gear games.
    officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man, you know a thread is going to be good when someone capitalizes the word "real" in the title.

The only point I feel like addressing is this one:

However, most of it is based off our own perceptions and theories on what Kojima meant with this ending.. so ultimately it's irrelevant because it's based on theory as opposed to fact or from Kojimas mouth (through his content) himself.

There is nothing invalid about people creating their own interpretations upon another person's work. You should look up the concept of "Death of the Author". Whatever Kojima's intentions may have been, people are free to read into and interpret whatever they believe.

AwkwardMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AwkwardMan

I don't think Kojima needs to worry about Konami making another MGS game. Unless you mean continuing by way of a Pachinko machine. Also, what that guy said, Authors only really have enough influence during creation at which point the public takes over. Even if the creator says what's what, the players, viewers, or readers will draw their own conclusions.

fierzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an added note:

• Yes, the gameplay is the best in the series.
    • Yes, there is a ton of content; and it sets a new bar to how we look at stealth based games. There are so many ways to tackle 1 simple mission.
    • However, for many long time MG fans we have come to expect a certain standard story-wise from MG games. This was by far one of the weakest, with no real build-up of many characters, and with a plot that was simply disappointing to a majority of players. It has always been a story-driven franchise, I found myself simply rushing through a ton of missions just to finally be able to see some meat of the story (which wasn't until like mission 30).
    fierzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fierzer

@officer_falcon said:

There is nothing invalid about people creating their own interpretations upon another person's work. You should look up the concept of "Death of the Author". Whatever Kojima's intentions may have been, people are free to read into and interpret whatever they believe.

So does that validate this game and leave a basis on how most games should work? Why even go into any intricate detail at all then? Why not just lay out a flat story throughout all MG games? Do you feel the franchise would've been as successful if they had followed the same model as this game?

Yes, there should always be room for some interpretation in any story being told. But it shouldn't be fundamental to making an ending tolerable.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't agree at all.

fierzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

I don't agree at all.

Maybe you don't agree with the original notion that the series is ruined, which yes may have been exaggerrated. However, care to rebuttal anything else?

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By HiCZoK

The game is a butchered mess with pieces of story and biggest amounts of filler and mission replays I've ever seen. I don't get all the perfect scores... Enjoyed if for first few missions but then... man 40hours is enough. Especialyl if I am not even remotely finished and already had to replay most of it

I wish the game was more focused. Without pointless open world, plenty of waiting, replaying, filler... Something like mgs3 but with new graphics and mgs v controls

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So lemme get this straight: you think that this game, which has recieved nearly universal acclaim (criticism of the writing/costume design aside), and has sold millions of copies, is the result of him trying to ruin Metal Gear?

Either this is the biggest "Springtime for Hitler" moment in history, or he was trying to do the opposite of ruin it.

thesteve19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thesteve19

The idea that

A) This game ruins the series

B) Kojima intended it to ruin the series

both seem crazy.

It was a great game and creators aren;t the type of people who intend to sabotage their own work and legacy. Also, it really seems like you had set expectations of what this games story was going to be and are mostly upset that this game did not follow those expectations. I do, however, agree that it could have used more story in general

fierzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fierzer

Maybe I should've been more specific (couldn't due to the character limit in a title). Ruined (or drastically reduced) the potential of this series stemming off unto other future MG titles that fans could get excited about.

The culprit is through his writing; I haven't criticized anything else beyond the story (or the lack of it) and ending.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt the openness of the ending left me wanting more, but in a good way. But I also love watching MGS fans theory craft.

I felt like this game had one of the strongest endings and its my second favorite MGS game so far. I cannot tell you why, though I find many of your points valid, but all in all, I just really enjoyed this game and I find that its all very subjective. What can I say? I just had a damn good time with Ahab, to me he is just as much big boss as big boss himself.

fierzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And is it really that far-fetched to think Kojima tied up strings of his story in a way where Konami stood the least chance of making future MG titles without him? Especially after seeing the feud between the two? No one is arguing whether the game in totality is great itself or not.

fierzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fierzer

@tothenines said:

I felt the openness of the ending left me wanting more, but in a good way. But I also love watching MGS fans theory craft.

I felt like this game had one of the strongest endings and its my second favorite MGS game so far. I cannot tell you why, though I find many of your points valid, but all in all, I just really enjoyed this game and I find that its all very subjective. What can I say? I just had a damn good time with Ahab, to me he is just as much big boss as big boss himself.

Fair enough. We all have opinions and tastes and its inevitable that players will be at a disagreement about things like this. I can respect another's positive perspective about the ending, but personally I am only vocalizing how alot of us (who didn't like the writing in relation to the grand scheme of the series) feel.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The game probably sold well. It reviewed well so why wouldn't they make more? Besides it mattered not what kojima did in this cause Konami said they're rebooting the series.

Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nals

Here's the thing.

Big Boss fell with the death of the Boss. That was ALWAYS the intent, and always pushed by the games. Hell a common complaint of Peace Walker/Phantom Pain is that they "don't need to exist, because we already saw Big Boss fall.". To me, Phantom Pain never needed to show us how Big Boss fell, because we already saw that in MGS3. Phantom Pain needed to explain something else to us, not that.

And it's ending did fix the chronology in many ways. Ahab being Venom Snake, who is the Snake we fight in MG1 MAKES SENSE. It allows the canon to tie back together. It let's us understand how a legendary soldier like Big Boss could become a mercenary/do the terrible things he did to try and stop the Patriots/fix his mistakes, while also allowing him to be in control of Foxhound. It let's us understand why Kaz thought of him as a monster, yet he seemed a reasonable man trying to fix the world at the end of 4. And it's explained through two Big Bosses. Ahab is a monster who used child soldiers, and nukes to solve his problems, and gladly sacrificed his humanity for the man he respected, Big Boss. Big Boss on the other hand just wanted to fix the world he fucked up, which Ocelot/Eva/Solid/Raiden managed to somewhat do.

Had the Phantom Pain or Peace Walker showed us how Big Boss "really" fell, all that would have done would have been the cheapening of the Bosses sacrifice. The Bosses death corrupting/twisting Big Boss was a crucial moment in MGS3, and if it got waved away for Paz's death to be the catalyst or being an asshole to be the catalyst, that'd have made the franchise weaker in my opinion, rather then making Phantom Pain stronger.

As for future games.....

Konami has made it very clear they are leaving the video game business. There will be no more big name Metal Gear games regardless of what you, I, or Kojima wants. They might make a few Pachinko Machines, but that's not exactly going to be a plot heavy area for them, and wouldn't expand the story at all, so who cares. The biggest thing they may do going forward is remaking MG1/2, or porting the series to Xbox/PC. Metal Gear was in standby mode after 5 regardless of what Kojima wrote as the plot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e83e1ada625d
    deactivated-5e83e1ada625d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

intentionally creating a disconnect and feeling of alienation from a beloved character, in order to better portray that character as a villain.

crazy.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Kojima has never tried to ruin Metal Gear, that's his baby. It was what gave him his start in the industry and he loves the characters. If he was ever going to try and burn it all down it would've been during development of MGS4 when he was in a real funk (and the game reflects that in theme and writing).

MGSV feels on the same level of Snake Eater and Sons of Liberty. Like Kojima threw all his weight into the project and gave it everything he had. Whether people are satisfied or not doesn't negate the effort he and his team put into the title. Neither does a divisive ending that, when people (like me) get over the butthurt of not playing as Naked Snake all this time, they can analyze and see that Kojima had a real point to all of it. Just like with the MGS2 twist, there's a reason this stuff happened. This is really the first MGS since 2 that feels like it has something to say about the world at large. People may disagree with it, people may think he's off his rocker, but I think it does the creator and his team a serious disservice to infer that they didn't put everything they had into the game.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fierzer: No, konami butchered this game by cutting 1/3 of the ending. Everything else is pretty damn awesome.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He really shouldn't have made the game so fuckin' rad if this was the idea.

fierzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fierzer

@efesell said:

Are people not paying attention to the point being made? Where has anyone stated that the game wasn't good? Why troll threads if you're not going to bother reading the OP?
    edit: Please stay on topic or go to another thread if you aren't able to comprehend the point of the OP. I am putting emphasis on the story and the ending in relation to the totality of the MGS universe. We all already know the game and gameplay is fine. The focus here is the story and writing.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Turambar
    @fierzer said:

Yes, if we put in our own conjecture and try hard enough we can make any story work.

This entire thread is based on your conjecture of what Kojima's intentions were.

My own conjecture is that MGSV was intended to be like MGS2. Not only in the type of fan reaction it is beginning to elicit, just as MGS2 was in part about providing the idea that Snake as an "ultimate soldier" could be recreated by placing someone else in a certain situation, MGSV is about providing the idea that "Big Boss" had ceased to be a man, but a legend and title that could be taken up by another without the world even batting an eye.

Also, Big Boss's fall happened in Peace Walker. We already played through that.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fierzer said:
    @efesell said:

Are people not paying attention to the point being made? Where has anyone stated that the game wasn't good? Why troll threads if you're not going to bother reading the OP?
    edit: Please stay on topic or go to another thread if you aren't able to comprehend the point of the OP. I am putting emphasis on the story and the ending in relation to the totality of the MGS universe. We all already know the game and gameplay is fine. The focus here is the story and writing.

I don't have a problem with the story or the ending either.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I hate Kojima, he's a sexist ass, but not even I believe he purposefully ruined his game. Hell, even his ugly & gross sexism doesn't even ruin this latest game because is 1/10 of 1% of the game.

Kojima made his game, and he sent it off singing "I did it my Way" into the sunset. He knows nobody at Konami can best him after this, so never would and never needed to wreck MG to stick it to Konami.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By recroulette

Such a lust for revenge...WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?

I really hope that's how Kojima was dragged out of Konami. In fact, that's how it happened in my head.

And if Kojima wanted to sabotage his story, he did a piss poor job of it based on the number of people wanting DLC (cut content, etc)

deto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I much rather have Metal Gear end with The Phantom Pain than have Konami trying to turn it into a cash cow they can milk on an annual basis and see it deteriorate to a level where it's barely recognizable anymore.

outerabiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

are you saying he played them like a fiddle?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Marz

I just got done with mission/episode 46, saw the truth, and think it was pretty brilliant and it bridges the games full circle pretty well. So I don't think it ruined anything at all.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TPP ending doesn't bridge shit. It creates more lore issues than it solves, and it creates a disconnect between the player and the player character. It is NOT like MGS2's twist. It's pointless and twisty for the sake of being twisty. MGSV was billed as a missing link in the franchise, but in reality it's nothing more than a side story. We learn nothing of import about any significant characters.

That being said, I don't think this was done on purpose, I think this is exactly where the series has been headed ever since it lost Tomokazu Fukushima.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pompouspizza

@marz: My thoughts exactly. I think it was a much more interesting direction to go in than just showing how big boss becomes a villain.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems to me this one is the best yet, and actually a game.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fierzer said:

Maybe I should've been more specific (couldn't due to the character limit in a title). Ruined (or drastically reduced) the potential of this series stemming off unto other future MG titles that fans could get excited about.

The culprit is through his writing; I haven't criticized anything else beyond the story (or the lack of it) and ending.

You're crazy. I would be super excited to see a Big Boss vs Venom snake confrontation that leads to Metal Gear provided it was made by a great team and not a soulless Konami cash grab.

Every blame, every problem with this game (aside from the pervy nonsense) can be laid on Konami, not Kojima. It's clear they slashed and burned everything in a hurry to get the fuck out of games and into bullshit gambling machines. With that last sequence finished and like 6 more months of development MGS5 could've been the best game ever made. As it stands it is a masterpiece of open world stealth gameplay with a great, if unfinished, ending that is the most understated and elegant Kojima has ever been with his message.

Avatar image for chronicthehedgehog
    ChronicTheHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like B-Real the rapper?

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The best possible ending is a Metropolitan city level being added.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fierzer said:

You're crazy. I would be super excited to see a Big Boss vs Venom snake confrontation that leads to Metal Gear provided it was made by a great team and not a soulless Konami cash grab.

Every blame, every problem with this game (aside from the pervy nonsense) can be laid on Konami, not Kojima. It's clear they slashed and burned everything in a hurry to get the fuck out of games and into bullshit gambling machines. With that last sequence finished and like 6 more months of development MGS5 could've been the best game ever made. As it stands it is a masterpiece of open world stealth gameplay with a great, if unfinished, ending that is the most understated and elegant Kojima has ever been with his message.

There are more problems than just the ending in MGS5. The entire story is an unfinished mess. Almost nothing of any worth happens until mission 20, at which point you get an info dump complete with some awkward scenes with Skull Face. Then, during the 30s missions, you get to replay a bunch of the same stuff all over again. At least half the 'main' missions in the game are effectively just re-constituted side-missions.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS5 is easily the best MGS game ever made.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.