NewsFlash: Metal Gear Solid movie Confirmed

#1 Posted by Psykhophear (944 posts) -

This just came in - Hideo Kojima has revealed new details at the EuroGamer Expo recently about the upcoming Metal Gear Solid movie. Here's the rundown of what we know so far, courtesy of GameSpot:

• Solid Snake will star as the main character (duh!)
  • The movie will be handled by Spider-Man producer Avi Arad through Sony Pictures/ Columbia Pictures
  • Kojima will not direct the film or write the script. Instead, he will act as a creative consultant
  • Kojima said Hugh Jackman was one time selected to play as Snake, but cancelled it because it was decided to cast a newcomer instead of an actor who is already famous (personally, I would love to see David Hayter as Snake).

This isn't the first time they decide to make a movie adaption of Metal Gear Solid, though. In 2010, Kojima did reveal of a possible Metal Gear movie but it was cancelled due to various reasons.

What do you guys think? Are you excited about the news? Leave your comments below.

#2 Posted by BlastProcessing (923 posts) -

Christian Bale at one point expressed interest in playing Snake. Get him!

#3 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

but what are the chances of it actually coming out?

#4 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

As far as famous actors go, Hugh Jackman was decent pick. I agree David Hayter is the best opinion but I'm not getting my hopes up. In fact I'm not getting my hopes up that this is becoming a real movie at all.

#5 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -
#6 Posted by Nightriff (5365 posts) -

Hayter should, but it will be Mark Wahlberg because he has to ruin everything I like

#7 Posted by N7 (3677 posts) -

@BlastProcessing said:

Christian Bale at one point expressed interest in playing Snake. Get him!

"OTACON. WHERE'S THE BLAST FURNACE!? WHEEEEEEEEEEERE IS IT!?!?"

#8 Posted by Karkarov (3291 posts) -

Not sure guessing on the identity of the actor playing snake is worth the effort when Kojima outright says they are casting an unknown. Like some have already mentioned the real question is "will this movie actually happen"?

#9 Edited by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

I'd like to watch it.

#10 Posted by VierasTalo (939 posts) -

@dungbootle said:

I'd like to watch it.

Pretty much this. I don't think it will ever get made though.

#11 Posted by Sbaitso (563 posts) -

David Hayter would actually play a great snake I think. And he looks the part pretty well

#12 Posted by GunstarRed (5480 posts) -

I hope Snake is only in the first 15 minutes.

#13 Posted by aznjon12 (189 posts) -

I'm kind of scared...Thor(Chris Hemsworth) for Otacon

#14 Posted by MonetaryDread (2180 posts) -

I think that Josh Holloway from Lost would play an awesome Solid Snake. Plus he is a recognizable face that wouldn't cost as much as Christian Bale or Hugh Jackman.

#15 Posted by DarthOrange (3908 posts) -

Morgan Freeman as Solid Snake or I don't watch it!

#16 Posted by RainbowRaccoon (126 posts) -

I always thought Keanu Reaves would make an ace Snake. Same sullen looks and somewhat raspy voice which he could probably play up. Plus he's kinda into Japanese stuff anyway, he's playing Spike Speigel in the Cowboy Bebop movie.

#17 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

Great now it'll be just like the games. #boom

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12130 posts) -

This movie is never getting made, and if it does it will barely resemble the games.

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -
#21 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -
@rebgav said:

@Psykhophear said:

• The movie will be handled by Spider-Man producer Avi Arad through Sony Pictures/ Columbia Pictures

Oh, so it will never get made? Good to know, 'cause there's no fucking way they'd make a movie as convoluted and bizarre as the Metal Gear fiction. It would be Metal Gear: Rambo 4 (PG-13)

Now, if it were being produced by Luc Besson it would be out in six months and make no sense whatsoever. That's the version I'd want.

Heh. MGR (Metal Gear Rambo).
#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

What's so special about releasing Metal Gear Solid 4 on Blu-Ray?

#23 Posted by DocHaus (1377 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

What's so special about releasing Metal Gear Solid 4 on Blu-Ray?

*ba-dum-tish*

He'll be here all night folks! Don't forget to tip your waitress!

You stole my joke.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.