Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Anyone read the book?

superfiasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I am currently playing the game for the first time. I really like it a lot. I was wondering if anyone has ever read the book. If so is it worth reading for someone who enjoys the story telling of the game?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I would also like to know this. I played Metro 2033 Redux recently for the first time and god DAMN it was one of the most refreshing shooters I've played in a very long time. Fantastic game

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#3 fisk0  Moderator

I think the book was included as a PDF in the install directory for one of the games, possibly Last Light?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

I read the second book last summer and thought it was pretty good. Definitely worth a read.

Edit: I'll add in that I don't think he did a good job of writing for female characters in the second book. It was my one gripe with the book.

Duluoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it a lot. Its weirdly philosophical and has a lot of meta commentary on fiction and narrative theory that I enjoyed. The game is pretty fun but I don't think it captures just how bizarre and ambiguous most of the events of the novel are. Some of it gets used in background dialogue in the "town" sections. Haven't read the second.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By AlexW00d
    @duluoz said:

I liked it a lot. Its weirdly philosophical and has a lot of meta commentary on fiction and narrative theory that I enjoyed. The game is pretty fun but I don't think it captures just how bizarre and ambiguous most of the events of the novel are. Some of it gets used in background dialogue in the "town" sections. Haven't read the second.

This is a very good summary of what I wanted to say but couldn't word it well. I really liked the first game, so I read the book, and I really liked the book.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, I actually have read the book, (and accidently bought a spainish copy of the second, but that's besides the point). I really liked it, the book itself is quite episodic and it works rather well in fleshing out the dense world of the metro system. The ending is super abrupt however, and is kinda lame. It's so unique and wierd you can look past it faults, I would easily recommend the book to any fan of post-apocalyptic stuff.

For what it's worth I couldn't finish the game, but devoured the book, so take from than what you will.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.