Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Game Studios

Company »

Also known as "Microsoft Games", "Microsoft Game Studios", and "Microsoft Studios", Xbox Game Studios is a primary subsidiary of the Microsoft Gaming division and handles publishing of their studios' games (including the Halo, Forza, and Gears of War series).

E3 2011 - Microsoft Press Conference Discussion

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1051  Edited By AgnosticJesus
    @billnyethesciencepie: Yeah light sabers, the exact thing Star Wars fan boys have been wanting for years out of the Wii and now the Kinect.  Doesn't interest me and with the huge amount of great games coming out I do not feel the need to bomb on it. 
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1052  Edited By ricetopher
    No Caption Provided
    Belmont_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1053  Edited By Belmont_Shadow
    @JoxxOr said:
    No kinect game looked even close to be fun to play.  Wondering which confrence was worse: this or nintendo 2009 
    You mean 2008? That was the horrific one with Wii music and Cammie Dnaway.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1054  Edited By crusader8463
    @RagingLion said:
    @CitizenKane said:

@Ghost_of_Perdition said:

@CitizenKane: I really hope it won't, but seeing them spending development time integrating kinect support is not something I want to hear. They need to have something better to show at EA's conference.

I'm sure EA will show more of it than MS did, same thing with Ghost Recon: FS and Ubisoft.

The other thing to remember is that MS wanted to focus mostly on their exclusives.  Yes, there weren't a whole load of those but there's a ton of other 3rd party games that will come to the Xbox that they just didn't spend time on in their conference.
    That's fine if you only have a 360, but if you are like me and have a 360, PS3 and PC then there is sweet fuck all to get on the 360. The way I personally buy my games is any true mutliplatform game I get on my PC, and any console only stuff I get on my PS3. There has not been a good 360 exclusive in years, so mine just sits on the shelf collecting dust. They are turning into Nintendo and focusing on the casual s and relying on milking their couple of exclusives to death in Halo/Gears.The difference is that Microsoft doesn't have the nostalgia from the fan base that Nintendo does to do that for long, and I think that's going to bite them in the ass much sooner then it did for Nintendo.
    Bismarck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1055  Edited By Bismarck

So everything sums up to "I am the controller"

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1056  Edited By AuthenticM

You guys noticed when Peter Moore got on the stage, he jokingly referenced the line from his "appearance" in South Park: "Get... the fuck out of my office". haha, I thought that was neat.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#1057  Edited By citizenkane

@ricetopher said:

No Caption Provided

Haha amazing.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1058  Edited By citizenkane

I don't know what they did with the engine, but everything in MW3 looks a lot cleaner and smoother.

I am actually get more and more interested in this game due to this Spike trailer.

Belmont_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1059  Edited By Belmont_Shadow
    @CitizenKane said:

I don't know what they did with the engine, but everything in MW3 looks a lot cleaner and smoother.

I am actually get more and more interested in this game due to this Spike trailer.

It loks the same to me. 60FPS, same animation same graphics same everything. You must have magic eyes.
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#1060  Edited By ventilaator

You don't have to have a blue screen name to shit on Kinect, you need goddamn eyes and a sense of taste.

Totally called how this conference is going to go. They'll show something stupid for Kinect, something idiotic for Kinect, something dumb for Kinect and something pointless for Kinect, and then quickly try to divert your attention away by going "Halo something something MW3 map packs Gears"

And then continuing with bullshit.

The fact that Mordin is in Mass Effect 3 was the best part about the whole thing.

Avatar image for tiger_buttercup
    Tiger_Buttercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

http://laffingfish.com/2011/06/06/guess-what-everyone-youre-still-the-controller/

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1062  Edited By citizenkane

@Belmont_Shadow said:

@CitizenKane said:

It loks the same to me. 60FPS, same animation same graphics same everything. You must have magic eyes.

I must have, because it does look different to me.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1063  Edited By Getz

Surprise suprise! It was the Kinect show, with goofy, stilted acting and excessive boasting galore. There is literally nothing I want out of Microsoft's showing this year, especially when the only things worthwhile are all sequels. A time of excitement and innovation indeed, Microsoft!

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1064  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Anybody else get worried when the conference started with CoD:MW3, a multiplatform game of all things? That looked cool enough. Lara Croft looked okay if it wasn't for her talking to herself. Halo 4 at the end was neato too. It's all the stuff at the middle that was kinda bad. If you thought the show's structure seems eerily familiar, it's because it resembles one thing almost exactly: a shit sandwich.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1065  Edited By Steve_C

Yeah.... that wasn't very interesting at all. The only real surprise was Minecraft.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#1066  Edited By ventilaator

Also, I'm still raging at "World's greatest storytellers"

Where the fuck did that even come from and why the heck do they have a 12 year old writing their scripts?

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1067  Edited By RockAction

another poster made a good point, what if you don't like halo / gears or have a kinect  
    i've tried them and i don't (haven't tried a kinect but the fun labs stuff looked impressive)  

i was lost on 90% of the stuff, which is unfortunate, i paid for a 360 i'd like to have a reason to use it;  
    i dont play online or use it as a media hub so that was also lost on me 

as i stated in another post, i can completely understand what microsoft is doing, its a press conference, couple big name exclusives, loads of kinect stuff to prove that its not just a forgotten peripheral and media hub stuff 

but i also understand peoples disappointment with it, the people who will be using the lighter features such as kinect / tv etc aren't going to be watching this conference so i don't think it was necessary to labour the point of kinect especially considering, in my opinion at least, that they were largely unimpressive 

even the more hardcore titles with integration such as ME3 and Ghost Recon didn't make a lot of sense; i really can't see myself calling orders in the former and the weapon customisation in the latter i imagine would get very tiresome 

as i said, the fun lab stuff looks cool (finger tracking / scanning) but then they didn't even put it to use in a game proper, they just stated that its there, i thought that was a lost opportunity at one of the biggest game shows in the calendar 

the thing i don't get about kinect is why its being shoe horned into previous genres, kinect clearly doesnt work, on rails or otherwise, as an FPS or waving your arms around like a jedi; i think if they approached it as a new interface rather than a strange eye-toyesque camera attachment then you could see some great games; it doesnt need to be a 'new controller type' for existing IPs and genres it should be its own thing with its own games

its unfortunate i think that microsoft is positioning kinect and 360 as a media hub along the lines of their other rival Apple, of course kinect and these light features make sense for portfolios and profits but it doesnt do much to push the gaming industry; which they pretty much confirmed isnt going anywhere by announcing another three halo games 

Avatar image for delicious_brains
    Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Especially excited for Gears of War 3's HORDE MORDE, as put by Ice T.

But yeah the conference sucked.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1069  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Trash.

The best part was the controller fuckup in the first fifteen seconds of the show. And even that was less of a fuckup than all this Kinect focus nonsense.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1070  Edited By Commando

Best conference so far!

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1071  Edited By paradox121
    @Commando said:

Best conference so far!

Even Konami, somehow non-ironically, beat this. It was expected Microsoft would hit Kinect hard but...I guess they really have to push this thing. 
    As people have said, the biggest disappointment was that there were hardly any surprises (Minecraft being about the only thing that didn't leak).
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1072  Edited By thebeast

Wasn't too bad in my opinion - was pretty professionally presented and had a nice variety of stuff.

Agree that there was way too much Kinect pushing though, although I'm pretty happy too see more stuff for the the Kinect.

pizzafreak360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1073  Edited By pizzafreak360

My highlight Tomb Raider. What a disappointing conference. 

EmptyApartment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1074  Edited By EmptyApartment

Would anyone happen to have or know where i can find a download link? Would like to watch this on my tv. I tivo'd it but Spike had there times all wrong so it didnt actually record any of the Microsoft conference :(

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1075  Edited By matt_f606

Just watched Apple's WWDC keynote after the MS E3 one. It;s amazing how much more slick Apple can make a keynote/conference.

But back on topic, the gears demo looked amazing, not too excited about the kinect stuff as my room isn't suitable to have one.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1076  Edited By pweidman

As expected for me.  Too much kinect but they were obligated to show that biz. Gears demo was fun to watch.  Pacing overall was excellent as far as presentation was concerned.  They know what they are doing in general.  Investors will be satisfied imo.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1077  Edited By xyzygy

So pumped for Crytek's new game.

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just have to say...Halo 4? THATS FUCKING AWSOME!! now if only i had the extra money to go out and buy an Xbox... Gears 3 also looks promising. But Halo 4 (and the announcement of it being the start of an all new triliogy) stole the show for me.... 

<3

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty glad I didn't watch the whole thing.  The gears 3 demo was pretty cool but everything else was meh.  But am I the only person wondering where the hell is Shadow Complex 2?  It's like hey let's not make a sequel to one of the best XBLA games of all time.   Micro
    Super pumped for Nintendo's conference though.  

Found this on Gaf

http://h3.abload.de/img/futuramas02e08001kinecweyi.gif
    Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1080  Edited By Mahonay

I think it's safe to say I was pretty annoyed how much of my time before work I spent watching the Microsoft Press Conference when a very large chunk of it was all Kinect games. Once they got the fake families and bros up on stage I had to fight the urge to punch myself in the face in hopes it would distract myself from what I was watching.

I will say the the Kinect interface features look absolutely awesome. They absolutely nailed the new Kinect dashboard integration and the scan applications look mighty impressive.

They saved Halo 4 for last after attacking you with Kinect games. As if the enthusiast gamer would suddenly just forget everything they just saw and get pumped for the reveal of a new Halo game. OH SHIT, that game Microsoft said was coming ever since practically the inception of 343 Studios? I NEVER SAW IT COMING DUDES!

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1081  Edited By zityz

Wasn't really impressed. Gears 3 looks awesome. Tomb Raider looks good but aside from that? FIST BUMP!

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#1082  Edited By ez123
    @xyzygy said:
    So pumped for Crytek's new game.
    I'm so not pumped for it. There was that Cry Engine tech demo that was an awesome third-person action game and Codename Kingdoms had that vibe. Now, Ryse seems like Infinity Blade Kinect, bummed me the fuck out.  

Overall, bad conference but people act like there won't be games on the 360 anymore that's not Kinect bullshit, get a grip people.
    mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1083  Edited By mbradley1992

Microsoft has become the new Nintendo from 3 years ago.

aceinet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1084  Edited By aceinet

Wouldn't Microsoft be in a "damn if you do and damn if you don't" spot no matter what they did this year?  If they went all out hardcore gaming the major press would have grilled them as to why they didn't focus on the Kinect.  So by giving a almost split conference they upset the hardcore audience who says they spent too much time on Kinect.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1085  Edited By RichardLOlson

This has "Epic Win" all over it.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1086  Edited By niamahai

@aceinet said:

Wouldn't Microsoft be in a "damn if you do and damn if you don't" spot no matter what they did this year? If they went all out hardcore gaming the major press would have grilled them as to why they didn't focus on the Kinect. So by giving a almost split conference they upset the hardcore audience who says they spent too much time on Kinect.

the hardcore is constantly upset over something. personally i'm glad they are pushing the kinect this hard.

i wonder how voice command outside combat would work in ME3?

Tali - Unmask!

Miranda - !!!

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1087  Edited By theoldhouse

No the hardcore complain when hardcore games are not being show. 

Thats how it works guys. 

And kinect looks shit because it is shit.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1088  Edited By niamahai

@theoldhouse said:

No the hardcore complain when hardcore games are not being show. Thats how it works guys. And kinect looks shit because it is shit.

how gears/halo/tr/me3 not "hardcore" enough?

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#1089  Edited By Lelcar

Microsoft had some cool stuff. They started strong. Tomb Raider was the best game I took away from that conference, but MW3 and Ghost Recon looked alright. Gear of War 3 looks amazing. (Of course Mass Effect 3 which looks like the best game ever, but that was more focused on at EA). Then they went into dark territory for me and started talking about mad Kinect stuff. Fable The Journey looked bad. They ended with Halo 4, which was weird that they billed it as a "new trilogy" and thought it was a huuuge surprise.

It was all over the place in a bad way for me, but it was still a decent conference.

Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1090  Edited By Hzaife

All i took from this was that Kinect is gonna be in alot of games which i dont care about, Gears is all i cared about here.

Does anybody here really want to play ME and Ghost Recon with kinect? it looks like cool tech but doesnt really make me want to buy kinect.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1091  Edited By jjnen
    @Hzaife: Yeah I think it doesn't even change gameplay to anything better.

I can just as well use controller to choose dialogue options or command the team. And could it be possible to use headset for the voice recognition?
    KillswitchNL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#1092  Edited By KillswitchNL83

i personally can´t wait for the gears inspired song from ice-t...

Undertone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1093  Edited By Undertone

If Kinect-like functions are built in the next Xbox, fine, but there is no way I would buy a Kinect for these tack on features to games

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bones8677 said:
    Why is Gametrailers showing a trailer for Resistence 3 (Sony Game) at the Microsoft Pre-Show?
    It was the E3 pre show, not just Microsoft pre show. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.