Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Game Studios

Company »

Also known as "Microsoft Games", "Microsoft Game Studios", and "Microsoft Studios", Xbox Game Studios is a primary subsidiary of the Microsoft Gaming division and handles publishing of their studios' games (including the Halo, Forza, and Gears of War series).

Microsoft wants to destroy used games forever in a evil way...

• 68 results
    Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jay444111

http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-the-next-xbox-will-play-blu+ray-may-not-play-used-games-and-will-introduce-kinect-2

The next-gen Xbox may or may not allow you to play used games fellows. If this is true than it is a sheer fact of the matter that microsoft will go under if this happens... and Hell, I am a xbox fan that has had to deal with some shit from them as well. I would NOT buy something this awful if they were going to do it.

Think about it, your game system breaks and you cannot access your account because of stupid reasons. Now... you have to buy new games for your entire collection of games for the system... this is the dumbest thing I have ever read and I HOPE to all things that this is a rumor. Because this is just a step from being near Orwellian ways of business.

I hope to all things that this is just a rumor and microsoft isn't as stupid as I think it may be.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Rumors are rumors for a reason. Theres been a ton of 'nextbox' rumors lately, and theyve always been denied within a month.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DukesT3

Thats pretty dumb but it will eventually happen once everything turns to digital but I still think there could be a "used" market even with digital.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By scarace360

thats fucking crazy and wont happen. I wanna see the science behind this.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jay444111

@LooseChange said:

Thats pretty dumb but it will eventually happen once everything turns to digital but I still think there could be a "used" market even with digital.

Honestly. I doubt a digital only market will ever happen though. Mainly because of how draconion MS/Sony/Nintendo's things usually are. People would switch to a gaming PC instead for steam, a very good service with great games.

I think if a console is going to keep alive, it needs to have a physical media IMO.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous

PC games, etc.

Damolition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Damolition

I think the real news here is Kinect 2. My face started twitching when I read that.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB
    "Xbox 720" is being used as shorthand by reporters like me to refer to the next Xbox. It's not necessarily the name of the next device.

It takes 1 more character to say "next Xbox" and it sounds infinitely less stupid.

As someone who never buys used, the only way this would affect me in he short term would be if the lack of used sales meant prices remain stagnant at the crazy, full retail asking price of $60. I don't buy used, but I certainly don't buy games at that price either.

Though I guess I can't say that for the long term. How many of us die-hard gamers haven't gone to Ebay to buy a used game from our childhood because that was the only place to legally obtain it? That woud cut off the long term purchases of old games when these systems are long gone, which would suck a big one.

Something they'd never have the care or forethought to do would be to go the route of making it all tied up in the near term, and then released several years after the game has been out, curbing the short term problem of used game sales but then allowing for less restriction in the future when that game isn't drawing in the sales anymore. It's the way a lot of the PC game DRM has been run over the years. You can almost count on any good publisher removing DRM and (god forbid) disc checks through a future patch.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

@AndrewB said:

"Xbox 720" is being used as shorthand by reporters like me to refer to the next Xbox. It's not necessarily the name of the next device.

It takes 1 more character to say "next Xbox" and it sounds infinitely less stupid.

Yes but then they would miss out on all the additional traffic from people searching Xbox 720 in Google.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By DarthOrange

@Jay444111 said:

I think if a console is going to keep alive, it needs to have a physical media IMO.

Your opinion is wrong.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By clumsyninja1

I believe this is a GREAT option if it happens. That way gamestop, blockbuster and gamefly will banished. If 60 dollars is too expensive for some people maybe they shouldn't buy a new console in the first place

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaggE

I love when people knowingly post rumors, and then make it sound like fact in the topic title.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DukesT3

@Jay444111 said:

@LooseChange said:

Honestly. I doubt a digital only market will ever happen though. Mainly because of how draconion MS/Sony/Nintendo's things usually are. People would switch to a gaming PC instead for steam, a very good service with great games.

Yeah but don't be shocked by say the console cycle after the one coming up where gamestop will release an "app" to download games on the future xbox and playstation or amazon to purchase your games digitally. At least by the '20s during that console cycle NEARLY everything will be digital. Physical media will be for people like you and I when were in our 40s and still feel we should own a physical copy of the game. Heh, can't wait for those days.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AndrewB

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@AndrewB said:

Yes but then they would miss out on all the additional traffic from people searching Xbox 720 in Google.

Bloggers aspiring to be journalists using whatever rhetoric they can to drum up readers?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

But I realize they aren't denying the holocaust or anything here...

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By dagas

I want this generation to go on for as long as possible because I'm so worried about the next one. Motion controls, casual games, no used games, no physical media, focus on watching video rather than playing games. Everything seems to be going in the wrong direction. I just love how the PS2 just starts the game up and that is that. Even the 360 has so much clutter at this point and I can't imagine how little the next console will have to do with video games. It will be a small tab somewhere under "other functions" or something.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jay444111

@DarthOrange said:

@Jay444111 said:

Your opinion is wrong.

PSPGo was a failure because of the fact that it was a online only type of system. They will all fail for the very same reasons.

@clumsyninja1 said:

I believe this is a GREAT option if it happens. That way gamestop, blockbuster and gamefly will banished. If 60 dollars is too expensive for some people maybe they shouldn't buy a new console in the first place

Errrr.... this will literally cause so much stuff to piss off ALL gamers that there is literally nothing good about this. NOTHING. People without online are fucked... in 50 years I can see this work when everyone in the world has the internet to the point where it becomes a right. That is literally the only way any system like this will every do well... or above average at least.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Contrarian

This is nothing new even if it turned out to be true. Sony toyed with it on the PS3 if I remember correctly .... or perhaps that was just a rumour. Thing is, if they could do it, they would. They want to control us for their financial benefit. If Xbox Fusion (or PS4) came out with this, I would not buy their producy any more. No other industry gets this special deal where they effectively lease the product to you. What if you couldn't sell used CDs or books? It is crazy. They need to give a reason to buy new, not punitive control measures.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PulledaBrad

@DarthOrange said:

@Jay444111 said:

Your opinion is wrong.

Hows that PSP Go treating you?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By penguindust

This was discussed here already: 360s successor to not play used games

I think the rumor is hogwash since it also means that friends can't bring a game over to each other's home to play co-op or local multiplayer.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By ManMadeGod

@dagas said:

I want this generation to go on for as long as possible because I'm so worried about the next one. Motion controls, casual games, no used games, no physical media, focus on watching video rather than playing games. Everything seems to be going in the wrong direction. I just love how the PS2 just starts the game up and that is that. Even the 360 has so much clutter at this point and I can't imagine how little the next console will have to do with video games. It will be a small tab somewhere under "other functions" or something.

You can set the 360 to start the game up when you put the disk in.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By borodin

@PenguinDust: Well, playing devil's advocate, you could still do that you'd just need to recover your profile at your friends house. Ok, that's a slightly tedious process at the moment but if MS made that less of a hassle for the next console I don't think that would be much of an issue really.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hatking

@DarthOrange said:

@Jay444111 said:

Your opinion is wrong.

Actually, no. You'd probably be surprised to find out how many people never connect their system to Xbox Live, how many fewer are willing to spend 'full price' on a game, and still, even fewer, are willing to put their credit card on the machine. If they want to stand any chance in the console market they will make damn well sure that their games are available at least in some physical way. I'm not saying it can't survive with both.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dagas

@ManMadeGod said:

@dagas said:

You can set the 360 to start the game up when you put the disk in.

I know, I have it set to that. It still doesn't start upp when a sic is already in when you start the 360.

I'm more concerned with how a new generation will affect games. With Kinect 2.0 being built in and new hardware will mean that for several years everyone will be trying to either focus on motion games or taking advantage of the new graphics rather than focusing on gameplay.

Also I'm more invested in this generation than in any previous generation both with more discs than any previous generation, but also with downloaded content. Will that migrate? Will it stay on the 360 and if so will it still work or will they start shutting down 360 services when the new console is out? What if I want to buy DLC for a game and the 360 marketplace is shut down because of the 720 marketplace?

Also It means having to buying a new console in order to be able to play any new games and I just don't have the money I used to when the 360 came out.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@dagas said:

It's not like there are less games being made because now the consoles can do more. Name one developer that said, "hey, these consoles can do streaming video and the other stuff; fuck game development, let's make a web series that will air on the 360!"

I don't see how the fact that consoles can do more is in any way hurting the game aspect. You can still play games on it, you can just do other things as well. Just because the corporate rhetoric and advertisements are more focused on the console as a media hub doesn't mean there aren't still tons of developers making excellent games.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your complaint here, but I just don't see the problem with consoles being able to do more than just play games.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ProfessorEss

@ll_Exile_ll said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your complaint here, but I just don't see the problem with consoles being able to do more than just play games.

I agree. They're still making more games than I can keep up with and honestly, I can't imagine going back to needing a separate device for every type of media.

I'm pretty resistant to ads so I'll take extra functionality over no advertising any day.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Fine with me.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Don't be an idiot, this won't happen.

Also, that alone wouldn't make Microsoft go under. You do realize that they existed before the Xbox, right? Why am I even saying this? Why am I even here?! Stupid internet rumors.

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bawlsz

@MooseyMcMan said:

Also, that alone wouldn't make Microsoft go under. You do realize that they existed before the Xbox, right? Why am I even saying this? Why am I even here?! Stupid internet rumors.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dagas

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@dagas said:

It's not like there are less games being made because now the consoles can do more. Name one developer that said, "hey, these consoles can do streaming video and the other stuff; fuck game development, let's make a web series that will air on the 360!"

I don't see how the fact that consoles can do more is in any way hurting the game aspect. You can still play games on it, you can just do other things as well. Just because the corporate rhetoric and advertisements are more focused on the console as a media hub doesn't mean there aren't still tons of developers making excellent games.

Well the new dashboard was made for videos not games. But I've learned how to find new games and such now so the new dashboard isn't as bad as I first thought. I still liked the old dashboard better.

I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old. I always used to be super exited about new tech, but these days it seems like all the new stuff is worse than before. Windows 8 looks bad as well. Everythign seems to be going towards less user freedom with tablets being very closed platforms and MS introducing the app store I'm worried about being able to find free programs on the internet anymore (not talking piracy I'm talking free programs like winamp, foobar or whatever that I fea will become paid apps and such).

And if we can only buy games through the official MS store on the 720 console it's going to be expensive as hell. Some Games on Demand they sell now costs €70 when you can find brand new games for €50 in the stores and then they drop in price to half that in a few months while Games on Demand can still charge €70 for a game you can find for €20 in stores.

I like the option of downloading games. I like steam, gamersgate and such, but there needs to be competition. If the official MS store is the only place to get games then there is no competition. At least on PC no one is stopping anyone from competing with steam, but no one is going to be allowed to compete on a closed platform.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

You're basically saying Steam wouldn't work.

It turns out Steam works, put a fucking key in the box.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Bawlsz said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Pretty much this.

J0HN_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By J0HN_D

Definitely don't see this happening, sure it would hurt companies like GameStop and Play and make publishers and developers super happy. But the real truth is Microsoft would only be hurting themselves, they may not be the smartest company in the world, but they are definitely not the dumbest. Eliminating the ability to play used game, eliminates a full market of gamer's. How so, you ask? Simple, there are lots of people who only buy used games (for many reasons), those same people buy there systems and peripherals new. They're also the same people who buy Microsoft Points (though there days may be limited) and faithfully subscribe to Xbox LIVE month after month.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33  Edited By JasonR86

@Jay444111:

There was already a thread about this. Anyway, you're title for this thread assumes that you already know what Microsoft has decided regarding used games and that you know the intentions behind the decision. Yet in the body of your original post you describe this as a rumor. So why did you name the title of this thread the way that you did?

As for this rumor, I'm assuming it would mean that they would make a system that only plays downloadable games. Meaning we would buy access to the game but not an actual, physical copy that we could re-sell. Thus, the system wouldn't play used games. In other words, it would be a console version of Steam. So what surprises me is that people love Steam and are ok with simply buying access to games on there. But they are really upset about the idea of a home console following the same philosophy. Why? Why is the expectation for a home console game marketplace so dramatically different from a PC game marketplace?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dagbiker

You are the worst Jay, you make a declarative statement about how Microsoft wants to get rid of used games forever in a "evil" way then go on to say they "may or may not." you are the worst.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Dagbiker said:

You are the worst Jay, you make a declarative statement about how Microsoft wants to get rid of used games forever in a "evil" way then go on to say they "may or may not." you are the worst.

Hey now, be nice!

You should know what to expect from Jay!

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Adamsons
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    You're basically saying Steam wouldn't work.  It turns out Steam works, put a fucking key in the box.
    Nailed it.
    Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jay444111

@LordXavierBritish said:

You're basically saying Steam wouldn't work. It turns out Steam works, put a fucking key in the box.

Steam by MICROSOFT on a 360 type machine would never work. There is a difference. If you told a parent that you had to go online to play video games, and that if you lost one of them, you can't get back the game. Not a single human being would pick it up.

Also, microsoft and anything game related on PC are draconion at best. It would be a really crappy system they would make.

Another thing. How have prices and patches been on the 360 to this day? OH... yeah... waiting 3 extra weeks for a patch that microsoft always messes up on somehow... (fallout new vegas on a constant basis.) Also the sheer fact that dlc for a mulitplayer online only game from 5 years ago still costs the same as it does from then on there...

Steam by Microsoft would be one of the worst ideas in gaming history if they remain as stupid as today as tomorrow.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38  Edited By JasonR86

@Jay444111 said:

Steam by MICROSOFT on a 360 type machine would never work. There is a difference. If you told a parent that you had to go online to play video games, and that if you lost one of them, you can't get back the game. Not a single human being would pick it up.

What?

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chrissedoff

Can't happen, won't happen. How does this even get printed?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Jay444111 said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

You're basically saying Steam wouldn't work. It turns out Steam works, put a fucking key in the box.

Also, microsoft and anything game related on PC are draconion at best. It would be a really crappy system they would make.

Another thing. How have prices and patches been on the 360 to this day? OH... yeah... waiting 3 extra weeks for a patch that microsoft always messes up on somehow... (fallout new vegas on a constant basis.) Also the sheer fact that dlc for a mulitplayer online only game from 5 years ago still costs the same as it does from then on there...

Steam by Microsoft would be one of the worst ideas in gaming history if they remain as stupid as today as tomorrow.

Microsoft do big sales for DLC and games quite frequently. Not to the extent of Steam, but they're not in the same position to do that.

The fact digital games are expensive on XBL and PSN is also completely counter to this argument. They're expensive because they would rather more people go down to the store and bought their games there. Stores like Gamestop have already threatened to pull things off the selves because of digital distribution take over and so MS and Sony have been very careful to avoid that. What sense does it make to go completely digital/online activation now?

And who's to say their patching/approval system won't improve with the next console? These are things we've only seen start on the current generation of consoles, there's obviously been a bit of a learning curve, but again, both Sony and MS have improved dramatically since their services first launched. Your entire argument is based on if's and but's. The rumours didn't even make any sense in the first place. We're going to see more of this sort of thing in the next few months, I'd recommend not taking everything you hear so seriously.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dagbiker

@Jay444111 said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Do you actually know how steam works, you don't have to be online to play video games, and once you put a code in you can download the game again as long as steam exists. Besides if you lose a game now, what happens... You lost it and cant play it any way.

Microsoft doesn't actually make the patches not to mention the same patches get released on the PC too.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By doobie

@Jay444111 said:

http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-the-next-xbox-will-play-blu+ray-may-not-play-used-games-and-will-introduce-kinect-2

The next-gen Xbox may or may not allow you to play used games fellows. If this is true than it is a sheer fact of the matter that microsoft will go under if this happens... and Hell, I am a xbox fan that has had to deal with some shit from them as well. I would NOT buy something this awful if they were going to do it.

Think about it, your game system breaks and you cannot access your account because of stupid reasons. Now... you have to buy new games for your entire collection of games for the system... this is the dumbest thing I have ever read and I HOPE to all things that this is a rumor. Because this is just a step from being near Orwellian ways of business.

I hope to all things that this is just a rumor and microsoft isn't as stupid as I think it may be.

what a load of conjecture and drivel

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Jay444111 said:

You don't seem to have any clue how much money Microsoft has. The answer is about $70 Billion. You think that something like this could cause one of the largest companies in the world to crumble? I suppose it should come as no surprise whenever you say something stupid.

@clumsyninja1 said:

Why lump in a great company with two shitty ones? Also this post is stupid.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By unchained

As I said in the other thread, I think it is certainly a possibility of the next console generation going this way. If one console manufacturer has the ability to deny used games from playing on their systems, what's to stop Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Warner Bros, Square-Enix, THQ, etc from making their games exclusive to that console? That way, every sale they get their cut. They get nothing from used game sales otherwise (aside from online pass stuff). It's entirely probable that the next COD for the next-gen console would be exclusive to the console that doesn't allow used-games, as Activision would continue to get their cut for every sale.

It's still all rumor, but I can definitely see it happening.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By cstrang

Why did I even bother clicking on this thread?

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LaszloKovacs

... These exact same rumors were floating around before the PS3 launched; Sony even patented the technology to enforce it. Nothing came of it.

Nothing to see here, move along, etc. etc.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By Vonocourt

@Damolition said:

I think the real news here is Kinect 2. My face started twitching when I read that.

Yeah, why would they iterate on a successful product.

EDIT: And yeah, I doubt this rumor will be true.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SpaceRunaway
    @Dagbiker said:

you are the worst

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By Justin258

@DarthOrange said:

@Jay444111 said:

Your opinion is wrong.

Your opinion is wrong because many, many people are still not connected to the internet. The number of people that cannot fathom the vast number of console gamers who still have subpar or no internet connection baffles me.

The PSPGo really isn't a good counterexample, though, because it was far more expensive than an equivalent counterpart and it didn't support physical games that many people already had, something that said counterpart did.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Doctorchimp

@believer258 said:

@DarthOrange said:

@Jay444111 said:

Your opinion is wrong.

Your opinion is wrong because many, many people are still not connected to the internet. The number of people that cannot fathom the vast number of console gamers who still have subpar or no internet connection baffles me.

The PSPGo really isn't a good counterexample, though, because it was far more expensive than an equivalent counterpart and it didn't support physical games that many people already had, something that said counterpart did.

What? What sort of person buys a brand new console, but doesn't at least have cheap DSL in their home?

And then you change your stance to now it's subpar internet...

If it's subpar surely they can still buy a physical disk and install it to their hard drive and connect it to the internet just to punch in a CD Key, that wouldn't affect their bandwidth and they wouldn't wait 10 hours for a download.

What makes you think they would go digital only? PC games haven't even gone that route. You can still buy boxed copies of PC games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.