Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

An open-world action-adventure game by Monolith, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Reviews are coming today

• 176 results
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

@poser: Not sarcasm.

@csl316: I don't get why it's a shock. All the preview stuff looked great. Listening to forum posters is always a bad idea. No matter how cool something looks they'll always focus on every reason why the game will suck.

I expected it to be good, but not top-tier sort of scores. Game's looked super cool and I've been a Monolith fan for years, so I'm glad it turned out even better than I had hoped. It just seemed like all the ambition might've been hard to pull together.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By azrailx

i knew it all along, see the other thread

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

@sirfork said:

@hunkulese: But its cool being a cynic

Better to be a cynic than get suckered. I was optimistic for Destiny and that landed me $60 out of pocket that I ended up not enjoying. Caveat emptor shouldn't be necessary in an industry where the media should be policing the message put out by publishers, but it's still something everyone with limited funds should exercise.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm so glad this turned out to be a great game. I've been watching it for awhile and saw the promise, but being let down multiple times in the last year I couldn't help but be really cautious.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pretty surprised at how high the scores have been, great to see this doing great though.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hunkulese: its a bit of a shock to me. I'm not into the Lord of the Rings, but I was expecting on getting it anyway as the combat looked engaging and enjoyable. However, the nemesis system was a massive question mark for me. I suppose I still have a terrible taste in my mouth from fucking Watch Dogs...Although they showed tons of footage, I was still a bit weary of it. Its a nice little bonus to see that it as some higher end quality to it...at least based on these early reviews. After some ho hum big budget games, its good to have something to genuinely be excited for, personally.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow ngl surprised by the reviews i sort of want this now but smash is coming next week so i think ill wait for a sale.... :(

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game that looked good this year that people actually enjoy? What is this sorcery?!

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I was sitting here watching this thread all day become more and more negative. As a LOTR fan and someone desperate for something good to play, I'd been pretty pumped and optimistic for this game leading up to it and decided not to fight against the pessimism and just wait and see. It feels good to be on the optimistic side right now. It looks like it's going to blow Destiny out of the water by a solid 8-10 points on Metacritic.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...well shit. Guess I need to revive my sleeping interest for LOTR again then! Not that I mind, could use something to play while waiting for The Evil Within.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Corevi

Huh. Guess I'll be getting this after Smash.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@junkerman: I am now looking up prices for that game on the internet ($6 and prime eligible you say? I'm not exactly at a loss for games to play right now, but that seems like something I'd accidentally buy during a dry season) and this is partially your fault. The other person who shares the blame is:

@arbitrarywater: I may have played The Third Age as recently as July this year with a friend who is a total Lord of the Rings nut who's convinced it's one of the greatest games ever made.

As someone who isn't the biggest Tolkien nut but can certainly appreciate his stuff, the idea that someone who is way into LotR and doesn't hate the serious amount of adaption decay going on with The Third Age is sort of foreign to me. Even I find some of the stuff in Shadow of Mordor to be a little... concerning. Eh, I guess it's a good enough backdrop as any for your open world fantasy game.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Dan_CiTi

It's just Ape Escape in the Lord of the Rings universe.

Anyway, yeah there are too many games to play. This, Persona 4 Ultimax, Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, AC Unity, and probably Dragon Age 3.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I guess it's a good enough backdrop as any for your open world fantasy game.

There's no real difference between Generic DnD Setting #75912 and LotR except the brand recognition.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Mister_V  Online

So happy this seems like a good game. I was in at "Batman combat with swords" but it's cool that the rest of the game is good.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read the reviews. Uuuuggghh I was actually hoping this was gonna be bad just so I'd have one less game to play this year. God dammit, now I want to buy it.

CURSE YOU FOR MAKING A GOOD GAME I WANT TO INVEST TIME IN!!!!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't quickly catch anything regarding the technical side from the few reviews I looked through. Suppose that at least means it runs good in general?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Mister_V  Online

@glottery: A little slowdown on the PS4 when using the wraith powers apparently.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_v said:

@glottery: A little slowdown on the PS4 when using the wraith powers apparently.

But not on Xbox One? Weird.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@arbitrarywater: I think it was the first game I ever got for my Xbox way back when. The protagonist is a minor Gondorian Character who befriends Pipin in his character arc. You also get an elven magic user, a ranger, and basically an exact duplicate of the Rohan King's Daughter who becomes our protagonist's love interest in the last 5 seconds of the game even though he was after the elf at first. Even more excitingly, in the last 5 seconds of the game (Its a real jam-packed 5 seconds) You magically get teleported to the top of Sauron's tower for the most epic show down of last generation... yeah you fight the Eye of Sauron, the fight we all dreamed about.

...You fight the eye of Sauron with JRPG attacks... look it up if you don't believe me!

Although I do remember going into Moria as being really cool. But even as a kid I was cringing at the rest of the rubbish. Totally worth playing! ...Or you-tubing the ending and having a good laugh/cry.

Oh.... uh... spoilers...

Wait is this real, this sounds more like a parody or something.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Mister_V  Online

@corruptedevil: Apparently. it's mentioned in the IGN video review if your interested.

IndridCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: i dont think it was a comparison. Just noting it on the version he played. Don't think they got X1 review copies.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Corevi

@mister_v: I'm not that interested. I don't even have either console, I just find it interesting that the more powerful console that is more popular has worse performance.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By mike

Gamespot review in a nutshell: It's Assassin's Creed: LOTR Edition. 8/10.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So happy this turned out well! Now I just need to find an extra 60 dollars in my budget.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Stabbing dudes in the face and neck will never get old.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#79 FinalDasa  Moderator

Games like this make me really glad QLs exist. I've heard a good chunk about this game but I'm not entirely sure what this game is and a few minutes running through the basics would be really helpful.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#80  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games like this make me really glad QLs exist. I've heard a good chunk about this game but I'm not entirely sure what this game is and a few minutes running through the basics would be really helpful.

There's parkour, there's assassinations, there's freeflow combat and there's the Nemesis system. That's about it.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sigh, call me when they make a Hobbit Drinking game instead, I am not touching this.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#83  Edited By jaqen_hghar

5.5/6 at The Escapist.
    I don't really care about the score though, but the text of the review. I'll easily get a mediocre game if it seems I will enjoy the game based on the actual review. This game seems really cool based on the text, and it got a good score. Glad I pre-ordered for once! You can get it 25% off at GMG still, I think. Looking forward to Tuesday!

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hmm, alright alright, I'll probably get this now, reviews everywhere are fairly positive to very positive. I'm not entirely sold though, is there a demo?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@village_guy: Demos aren't a thing anymore. Multiplayer games get betas and singleplayer games get nothing.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@arbitrarywater: When you had to fight 20 Nazgul in a row and each one took 15 minutes I got tired of it. It's definitely a JRPG though, with not-Gimli, not-Aragorn, not-Boromir, and female Legolas. Any true LoTR fan knows that the cool stuff happens in the Silmarillion/Beleriand, so who cares what they do to contravene the lore elsewhere.

Shadows of Mordor looks to be pretty superb, mayhap a second good game will come out this year!? Celebrimbor was always a Battlecruiser in Starcraft for some reason.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#87  Edited By benpicko

Might buy my first game of the year with this... Wait, I have no PS4 or XBone and my PC is now shit

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@arbitrarywater: I don't understand either. He has the game down to a science too. As I recall it could get fucking brutal at the end and he has basically broken the game to the point where there isn't a single fight in the game that gives him any trouble. I think he's played his Xbox copy more than all the games he owns on the 360 or PS3 combined.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

Is it hilarious to everyone else that good review scores automatically makes everyone immediately believe it's a game they are going to enjoy? Because the amount of people I'm seeing say that "this game deserved it" and "this will be my game of the year" (not here, thankfully) is driving me crazy considering none of them have actually played it?!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Corevi

@wemibelec90: People on the internet tend to be hyperbolic and easily swayed, which is the best possible combination for a marketing team.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: Well, there are a dozen gameplay video's of the game, so watching any of those will probably say a lot more then counting the scores of reviews. Ever since I saw the first glimpse of the game I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. The exact same happened with Tomb Raider; great reviews, but after watching a gameplay clip I was like NOPE.
    Afterwards I lend it from a colleague, played about 3/4 hours of it and was totally right.

So I guess if you like the gameplay from the video's and the reviews say the game has a good amount of variety and length and there are no hidden quirks then one could safely say 'this game is for me'.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: Well it's a game with a cool idea and this year has sucked for the most part so people are excited, how dare they.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great. Was planning on going to GameStop to trade Destiny in anyway. Now I can put that 40 bucks to good use.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

@fredchuckdave said:

@wemibelec90: Well it's a game with a cool idea and this year has sucked for the most part so people are excited, how dare they.

Yeah, I know it came out a bit ranty, but this is one of those things that really gets under my skin. These kneejerk reactions are the kinds of things that make games get built up for this huge success and then everyone blusters when it all falls apart (see Destiny for a recent example) and likely bites a lot of people in the ass. I just kinda wish people were smarter and more patient about their game decisions as a whole, because it would probably lead to a lot less internet screaming.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shirogane: Uhhhhhh... Nope!

Loading Video...

Holy smokes! Why even bother with this new game when there's this still to play?!

Now this needs a HD remake!

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@arbitrarywater said:

@shirogane: Uhhhhhh... Nope!

Loading Video...

Holy smokes! Why even bother with this new game when there's this still to play?!

Now this needs a HD remake!

Ahhh, memories. Real soft spot for this game. Not the deepest RPG or anything but a lot of fun someone who was big into the films at the time. Cool stuff.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#98  Edited By Humanity

@wemibelec90 said:

@fredchuckdave said:

Yeah, I know it came out a bit ranty, but this is one of those things that really gets under my skin. These kneejerk reactions are the kinds of things that make games get built up for this huge success and then everyone blusters when it all falls apart (see Destiny for a recent example) and likely bites a lot of people in the ass. I just kinda wish people were smarter and more patient about their game decisions as a whole, because it would probably lead to a lot less internet screaming.

No you were not coming off as ranty. Everyone seems to be starved for some awesome next-gen exeriences, or basically any games in general, and maybe this looks like something that can tide the masses over until the good stuff is out? These situations always remind me of that Bombcast where Ryan was making fun of people saying Enslaved was their game of the year. Shadow of Mordor looks competent, and it's getting good scores, but nothing that I've personally seen thus far is making me want to go out and get it. In a way I'd rather just wait and get the real Assassins Creed in a month rather than play some weird re-skinned version that centers around a seemingly repetitive mini-game that..appears to actually be the entire game?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of expected 7's and 8's and stuff. Seems like people really dig it. Games turning out better is always a good thing.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destructoid seems to be the only outlier so far with a 6 so i think im going to get this as i love LOTR and even though this takes its liberties with the lore it looks like a blast to play. Hope they did good by the PC version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.