Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mighty No. 9

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 21, 2016

An action-platformer headed by Mega Man co-creator Keiji Inafune, and crowdfunded via Kickstarter. It is heavily inspired by Inafune's Mega Man franchise.

Reviews are hitting

• 159 results
    Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, mediocre is about how I thought it would end up. Not stunning, but not egregiously bad. That might be the most damning review one could give this game, honestly.

Well, time for Red Ash or whatever that Mega Man Legends game is!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say I'm surprised. I was hoping it would turn out better for the people who supported it though.

Avatar image for photovideosamplesetc
    PhotoVideoSamplesEtc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They really should have given the codes to backers first and then reviewers. This was a really bad decision. If I was releasing a game that have received a ton of bad press for a long time, I would have made sure backers got the code first no matter what especially to ease some of the tension that they are having. It'll be an ever bigger blow if retailers and online stores sell the game before the backers get the codes and physical copies. Looks like that's going to happen.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Get equipped with: Meh

Doesn't seem shocking, sadly. Most of what I'd seen from it made it look like a bad clone of the Mega Man games as opposed to a true spiritual successor.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It kinda felt like this was one of those games people were going into hating before they played it so ill take reviews with a grain of salt. not saying they arent corrent but perception can often play a part.

I paid for this so long ago its basically a free copy so ill be playing it anyway.

a real bummer though. I really wanted a new mega man

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Looks like Cuphead is going to be the game that everyone who backed this actually wanted.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The reviews were probably written by anime fans.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not so Mighty it seems, kinda feel bad for the people who kickstarted this and has been waiting for it for so long. :/

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Too bad - would've been nice to cap off all the delay disappoints with a really solid outing but instead - Buzz, your girlfriend.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mighty Number? Nein.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@animathias: I knew this was out there but I'm glad you reminded me - need to pick it up. Or at least throw it on the wishlist for the sale later this month (hypehypehype).

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By nightriff

This was inevitable, every bullshit thing the game went through and did to dig the hole deeper was bound to end up producing a subpar game at best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Kinda funny how many genuinely decent Megaman inspired games were released between the start of the crowdfunding campaign and now. I'm glad for the backers that the MN9 reviews seem to generally be this game is mediocre with some genuinely fun parts. This definitely seems like the kind of thing I'd buy during a Steam sale and not regret.

I have to imagine for Keiji Inafune this is a huge relief to finally release MN9 and a learning experience for everyone involved.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

The problem I've found is that, regardless of whether the project has Kickstarter funding or publisher funding, pretty much all of the other projects I can think of from Comcept and inti creates are pretty mediocre. I knew less about them when I backed Mighty No. 9, but having vaguely paid attention to their work since the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter, I'm not hugely impressed with their output.

Like, Azure Striker Gunvolt is probably as good of a Mega Man pseudo-knockoff as Mighty No. 9, and is cheaper and didn't take a century to come out.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Shame, I feel sorry for those who backed this. Crazy that with all the delays and the bad ads, this game went from being something that many people were rooting for to a title that has frustrated its backers and fans with its mismanagement.

At least as far as KS games go, Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee look very promising at the moment. Plus there are games like Freedom Planet that have not only succeeded on KS (Had only a $2,000 goal and made over $25,000), but the developers have delivered on their promises of providing a quality title for its backers with a much smaller budget compared to MN9.

I guess for those who haven't played this title yet, I'd recommend playing Shovel Knight instead of MN9 if they want something that starches their itch for an old school Mega Man experience.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It looked horrific ever since the first gameplay reveal.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sku said:

Yeah, mediocre is about how I thought it would end up. Not stunning, but not egregiously bad. That might be the most damning review one could give this game, honestly.

Well, time for Red Ash or whatever that Mega Man Legends game is!

Keep in mind that a rating of ~5 is about as bad a rating gets on those sites, with only a few exceptions. Their scale is 1-10, but they seem to rate distinctly average games at about a 7. Which is why the metacritic system sucks so badly, since many sites now rate games on a more honest scale, like GB does, and it brings down the average for games that are also rated on essentially a 5-10 scale like Gamespot.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Seems about right.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By poobumbutt

Being uninvolved and only tangentially interested in this project means that I feel bad for anyone holding out hope, yet glad that I wasn't overhyped myself.

So, does Keiji Inafune now fade into nothingness, as was prophesied?

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrPlatitude

As a backer, everything they've put out about this game since the initial announcement has just bummed me out. The graphics are bland and don't match the originally promised style at all, then they did the second unnecessary, fundraiser for the game, then there was the Red Ash thing-so ridiculous to do a kickstarter for another game when they still hadn't delivered on the first. The whole thing has just been a blunder and they've just continually crapped on the backers the whole way.

Inafune basically making his own Mega Man game when Capcom didn't seemed to care about the franchise anymore seemed so rad to me at the time. The result has just been a series of disappointments and this whole thing just sucks.

TaintedKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the way through I thought it looked pretty mediocre. If I was a backer, I'd be pissed. This is why I don't back games and hell I barely even pre-order stuff now. (I say that because I just pre-ordered something for the first time in years) There are a few good MegaMan inspired games if you are looking for that kind of thing like 20XX posted above.

Darknorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll play a thoroughly average Mega Man... when it comes to Playstation Plus.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't believe I backed this thing for over $250...

And now we're hours away from its release and as far as I'm aware, there has been no indication as to when backers will get their codes.

Ugh...

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PlasmaDuck

I saw some gameplay recently and it just looks meh. The game is downright ugly aesthetically, the voice acting is bad and the gameplay looks clunky.

@poobumbutt: Nope he's doing ReCore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animathias: I bought a code for that game at the last PAX Prime. Despite not liking the art design, it's some Megaman-ass Megaman. And that's a good thing.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

And now we're hours away from its release and as far as I'm aware, there has been no indication as to when backers will get their codes.

Ugh...

Ow wow that's rough. Turns out I backed it for $5.84, so I'm a backer but not enough to get a digital game code. I think I'll skip it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inafune with the Azure Striker Gunvolt team seemed like a heck of a match. That 8-bit thing they did a while back was kind of awesome, hopefully this at least matches that.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok: Nowhere did I say I wasn't responsible for my purchases or unaware of the possible outcomes of a Kickstarter. Doesn't mean I can't fault Comcept and other parties involved for a poor product and service, mismanagement and bad communication. The customer/investor might not actually always be right, but neither is the seller/investee.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They really should have given the codes to backers first and then reviewers.

No way. That's like feeding the Christians to the lions right there. At least reviewers "supposedly" look at things critically rather than emotionally. The backers would probably have been more ruthless in their comments.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lanechanger

Another kickstarter miracle!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

$4 million...wow

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By BoOzak

I dunno, looks like Mega Man to me. Lots of useless power ups, framerate issues and some bad platforming. I just dont think that stuff is as acceptable now as it was then. (no excuse for the art style though) I just hope that Bloodstained game turns out okay since Castlevania mostly holds up, but supposedly it's being made by the same guys (?) or at least partly the same guys.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, the game looks bad. Both visually and mechanically. Play Shovel Knight instead.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

Their art style looked like trash for a long time. Kinda surprised it never got better. Honestly, I've always been baffled by the direction of the Mega Man series. 1-3 each got better on the NES by adding smart things, 4-6 were mostly obvious retreads, and X was the most kick-butt game in the series, but since then it's been odd design choice after odd design choice, with really mixed results. I honestly think that Inafune is probably extremely overhyped as a designer, in spite of the handful of really stellar Mega Man games. He seems to not understand what makes a good game, unlike, say, Miyamoto.

Also, anybody know when the Kickstarter codes are being sent? I haven't seen mine yet.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Error52

Does anyone else find it extremely bizarre that this game is getting a 3DS port despite running unreal engine 3?

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't liked the look of this game from the beginning. Sounds like it sucks for everyone all around, damn.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

Mighty Number? Nein.

You could get a job at Eurogamer with puns like that.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@dgtlty said:
    @shindig said:

Mighty Number? Nein.

How about Meh-ga Man?

PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:
    @shindig said:

Mighty Number? Nein.

How about Meh-ga Man?

Mighty Number Five out of Ten

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That makes me so sad. I really was looking forward to this. I was one of those people who backed it. I think I kicked in just enough to get a copy, so 20 bucks? Not worth crying over, but the fact the game didn't turn out well is.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I guess I'd ask if anyone thought this game would turn out well after all the numerous public mishaps it has gone through during the course of its development. Still a bummer, don't get me wrong, but the wind has been blowing this way for a while.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh...

we got that email asking what version we wanted a few weeks ago so maybe theres hope the game we spent too much money on well be able to play the day it comes out....maybe...

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

..... I cannot believe how much drama this game is, and I like gave up on my 20 bucks like a year and a half ago.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By atomicoldman

It feels good knowing the whole saga that is Mighty No.9 is nearly at its end. What doesn't feel good is knowing how many people Inafune took for a ride.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just going to poison the well for developers trying to use crowdfunding to put out awesome content. Fuck this game.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Tyrrael

I wasn't exactly all aboard the hype train when this was announced, but I was looking forward to it. I wasn't expecting it to be the best game ever or anything, but the complete shit show it turned into was extremely unexpected.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bland gameplay aside, I'm not sure why the visuals look so bad. The lighting feels totally flat. It's like a launch 360 game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.