Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

MAPS!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

No Caption Provided
    Just tweeted by notch. This looks great! It would make travel so much easier! 

Again I am so glad I bought this game early on and keep playing it every day
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By louiedog

Also, this:

Players carrying the same map (!) will clearly be marked on the map. You might be able to mark locations as well. Probably. Maybe.

I wonder how these are going to work. Different maps on one server? I assume they'll need to be crafted.
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Just picked this up on the weekend. No idea what I'm doing. Finally figured out how to craft stuff and built a nice little house, then lost it. I left it near a beach I'm pretty sure :) A map would definitely help Noobs like me.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

Nice

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By louiedog
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    " Just picked this up on the weekend. No idea what I'm doing. Finally figured out how to craft stuff and built a nice little house, then lost it. I left it near a beach I'm pretty sure :) A map would definitely help Noobs like me. "
    You can construct a bed and sleep in it to set your spawn point. You can then craft a compass or kill yourself (provided you're willing to lose your current inventory) to return.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Oh God yes. Finally!

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By louiedog

More info:

I’m currently working on 1.6, which will be mostly a bug fix update. I will be going through bug lists (including the great one on the Minecraft wiki) and fixing as many as I can. There’s no set date for the update yet as I don’t know how long it’ll take to go through the list.

The only new feature that will appear is the mapping.

When you craft a map, you will be able to somehow select how “zoomed in” you want the map to be. It will be centered on the location where you craft it, and it will fill in as you explore the land. If you go outside the edges of the map, it will stop updating, so each map is of a specific area. (like real maps!)

Here’s a screenshot of a fully zooomed in map (good for town maps, for example):

And here’s a screenshot of a fully zoomed out map:

If you drop a map and someone else picks it up, they will be able to see your progress. You will also be able to (somehow) CLONE maps so that two separate map items link to the same map data. That means you can see what other players carrying the same map explores, and both you and them will show up as blinking dots or similar on the maps.

Currently, the map will only update if you’re holding it in your hands, but the map will kind of hide away when you’re looking straight forward. To see the map properly, you have to look down, thisly:

Any changes you make to the terrain will show up on the maps, but only once someone carrying the map gets near that area. In other words, you won’t magically get to see changes far away on the map.

At the moment the map doesn’t work at all in multiplayer, but that’s my next task. The code I write to support that will also be possible to reuse in the future for things like books and notes written by players, and possibly even custom paintings/hand drawn signs.

There’s a hard limit of 65536 unique maps per world, though, and I don’t think I can get around that without breaking the code very bad. I’m trying to figure out if the limit is high enough or if I should spend the time rewriting the code..

http://notch.tumblr.com/
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @louiedog: Thanks for the info ill make sure and try that in future. Still going to keep looking for that house tho. Why did i have to build it into a hill? :(
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60

There were already Minimap mods. But this is cool.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Cool...I used to get lost when I played Minecraft on the massive levels and would get stranded outside when night arrived trying to find my base I made. This addition should make me go back to playing this game perhaps tonight (after I update it).

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I am super excited for this. I wonder how you will craft it...reeds maybe? 

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By ch3burashka

I just crafted a "clock", and thought, "what the shit is this?". I guess I hadn't gotten used to Minecraft looking so... you know... low-res. I tried actually reading the dial and whatnot, but now I know to either look for blue, or black.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " I just crafted a "clock", and thought, "what the shit is this?". I guess I hadn't gotten used to Minecraft looking so... you know... low-res. I tried actually reading the dial and whatnot, but now I know to either look for blue, or black. "
    The clock is very clearly colored. Maybe take a pic for us to see? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.