Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft coming to Android

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Boiglenoight

From Engadget

Have you been considering ditching your Android phone for an iPhone ever since you heard that Minecraft would be heading to iOS later this year? Then you might want to reconsider, as Kotaku has confirmed that the game that's already inspired a documentary will be headed to Android as well. Interestingly, the site says that the game's creators initially held some talks with third-party developers about doing a mobile version, but ultimately decided to do both ports in-house. Details are otherwise still pretty light but, like the iOS version, this one is said to be coming "later this year."

Sweet.  Hope it runs on the Droid X, but I think I'm probably out of luck.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By melcene

Neat.  I'll finally get to see what all the fuss is about.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Boiglenoight

When I played it my first response was "wow, this looks like butt." But after trying to survive the first day, it becomes kind of addictive and therapeutic in a way.  While there are things that go bump in the night, it's nice to play a game that's not all boom headshot.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

Hell Yeah!

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#5  Edited By vigorousjammer

I'm guessing it'll sync your saves through their cloud server?

I'm still kind of worried how the controls will be on a touchscreen.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By onarum
    @Vigorousjammer said:
    " I'm guessing it'll sync your saves through their cloud server?  I'm still kind of worried how the controls will be on a touchscreen. "
    there is no cloud saving.
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vigorousjammer
    @onarum said:

" @Vigorousjammer said:

" I'm guessing it'll sync your saves through their cloud server?  I'm still kind of worried how the controls will be on a touchscreen. "
    there is no cloud saving. "
    really? for some reason I thought Notch mentioned something about that a while ago... or do you just mean for the portable version?
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By onarum
    @Vigorousjammer said:
    really? for some reason I thought Notch mentioned something about that a while ago... or do you just mean for the portable version? "
    Yeah, that would be really neat, maybe it gets implemented in the future, but minecraft saves can get pretty big, they would need some hefty servers to suply the overwhelming demand they would most certainly get for that, maybe restricting the cloud saving service to 1 world per user.
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vigorousjammer

I have read something about using a program called Dropbox to set up your own cloud server, and they give you 2gigs for free. However, i'm not sure if Android has any apps to sync your save back into the cloud, so it might not be possible yet.

powrtrio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By powrtrio

Sounds promising on either system. I love this game and would buy it on either. It's like Plants vs. Zombies, they can just have my money. lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.