Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Possible Sound Bug in Minecraft

king0fprussia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By king0fprussia

With all the hullabaloo surrounding Minecraft, I decided to check it out.  But as I'm walking around, hitting rocks with my polygonal hand or whatever, there doesn't seem to be any sound.  The sound options say it's all the way up, but there's nothing playing. 

Anyone else encounter this?  Or can you somehow explain it? 

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

sound is broken for the moment

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

I didn't get any sound initially until after restarting my computer.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @king0fprussia said:
    " With all the hullabaloo surrounding Minecraft, I decided to check it out.  But as I'm walking around, hitting rocks with my polygonal hand or whatever, there doesn't seem to be any sound.  The sound options say it's all the way up, but there's nothing playing.  Anyone else encounter this?  Or can you somehow explain it?  "
    That's because Notch had to dramatically decrease the load on the servers, so he unabled sound for new users of Minecraft. Basically, you are not downloading the sound files, as they are not in the server. The webpage is up again, so you should try redownloading the latest version of the exe and running the update again.
    king0fprussia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By king0fprussia

Thanks folks.  I realize it's in alpha so I just wanted to confirm that other people were experiencing it or had experienced it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @king0fprussia: 
    Strange but for me it worked.
    Disable your internet connection, start up minecraft, play with sound, enable internet again while playing/after.

Offcourse this only works for offline singleplayer =P
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Davvyk
    @JoeyRavn said:
    " @king0fprussia said:
    " With all the hullabaloo surrounding Minecraft, I decided to check it out.  But as I'm walking around, hitting rocks with my polygonal hand or whatever, there doesn't seem to be any sound.  The sound options say it's all the way up, but there's nothing playing.  Anyone else encounter this?  Or can you somehow explain it?  "
    That's because Notch had to dramatically decrease the load on the servers, so he unabled sound for new users of Minecraft. Basically, you are not downloading the sound files, as they are not in the server. The webpage is up again, so you should try redownloading the latest version of the exe and running the update again. "
    This is fact. Re downloading the client should now fix the issue
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By RobotHamster

I think it's because your a new user.  There can't be anything wrong with minecraft, it's perfect!!!

king0fprussia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By king0fprussia

Hmm..I've tried redownloading, offline play, and restarting.  None have worked yet.  So I'm just assuming sound is being withheld for server concerns.  Sound also doesn't work when I play in browser.

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    @king0fprussia said:
    " Hmm..I've tried redownloading, offline play, and restarting.  None have worked yet.  So I'm just assuming sound is being withheld for server concerns.  Sound also doesn't work when I play in browser. "
    Press F3 and S at the same time, should fix it right up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.