Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Quick Minecraft Server Question

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I was thinking of running a Minecraft server for me and a friend, and we would only ever be playing together. 

Can I host a Minecraft server and then take it offline when were finished and then put it back up when we next want to play, or would the world reset every time?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

I'm pretty sure it's persistent. You should fire a PM over to @FunExplosions as he runs (or used to?) run the GB Minecraft server.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

You can save the multiplayer world like any other singleplayer world, i assume that when you reset it, all you have to do is load the saved version of the map when you took it down, but yea, Funexplosions is the guy to talk to. 

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Metzo_Paino

Thanks for the advice. 

I managed to get a server going for myself following this guide: 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwahds7bHTw  

But when a friend tries to join it initially looks promising but then times out and they can't connect. Any idea if that means their are problems with the way I have it set up, or is my computer just not good enough for a two person server? (2008 Macbook Pro, 4gb Ram).  

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Metzo_Paino: You run the server software from your computer, so its only up when you have the server running. Plus people can only connect if they know your IP (and the port if you change it from the default), so unless you tell someone that there is an extremely low chance of someone finding your server (random IP guessing?!).

As for your friend not connecting. The default port for the server is 25565, go to your router's settings and make sure that you have that port open. If you aren't sure how to do that you go to 192.168.0.1 (might be 1.1 or something, varies a bit), then find your way to port forwarding or something about ports. Then enter 25565 and make it TCP and UDP, the IP address will be your computers IP.

You can find your computers IP by pressing the windo... oh yeah... mac... Uhhhhhhhhhhh... Google it I guess. You want the local IP address your router assigns you, not your actual IP address. (Itl looks almost identical to the 192.168.0.1 or whatever one, but the last number will be different slightly). One thing to be aware of is that over time that IP will change slightly when your router assigns it a different one (It hands them out in order to devices that connect to your internet, so if you use your iPhone first then itl get the old number for that time). Basically you might have to repeat the last step and change the IP to the new one if it doesn't work. 

If you are feeling adventurous you can google "Static IP" and change your IP to a static one (It will always give your computer the same address) so you don't have to ever change it again =P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.