Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Giving up on MW2

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By Naughton

Over the past 4 months or so, I’ve really tried to like Modern Warfare 2. It hasn’t been easy. I’ve been on the bad of a Javelin glitch. I’ve been double shotgunned from a ludicrous distance. I’ve been stabbed in the face by The Flash, who apparently was disguised as a marine(not a glitch, just poor design.) All of these things are bad enough on their own, but when I take into account that they all transpired in game sessions filled with some of the most foul-mouthed, racist, homophobic pieces of shit to ever grace the internet, it makes me wonder how I made it this long.

My breaking point was the map pack. 15 dollars* for 3 new maps and 2 COD4 maps is a price I’m just not willing to pay. Most will, but this is the point where I’m jumping ship. I wish more people would actually think about not only the fact that they aren’t getting 15 dollars* worth of content out of this, but more importantly what message that sends to Infinity Ward and Activision. This map pack will probably be the highest selling piece of DLC ever, and that means that we will never see another map pack(for MW2 or any of the other dozen COD games coming out the next few years) coming out of Activision for less than 15 dollars*. Then again, rational thought might not be a strength of the average MW2 player.

At least there’s a light at the tunnel for me. Modern Warfare 2 is still sitting at 1000 points(60 bucks worth of trade-in value) on Goozex. It might take waiting a bit, but eventually that copy of MW2 will turn into something much better, such as Darksiders or Final Fantasy XIII. Also, I’ve got Bad Company 2. 

*- Sometimes 15 dollars is actually more than 15 dollars. For instance, if you have no Microsoft points and want to get the MW2 map pack, you will have to buy 2 separate point packs to hit the 1200 points which are required, costing you $18.75, also leaving you with 300 MS points leftover. Which isn’t enough to get shit on XBLA. Unless you count that sweet MW2 avatar clothing.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Naughton

Over the past 4 months or so, I’ve really tried to like Modern Warfare 2. It hasn’t been easy. I’ve been on the bad of a Javelin glitch. I’ve been double shotgunned from a ludicrous distance. I’ve been stabbed in the face by The Flash, who apparently was disguised as a marine(not a glitch, just poor design.) All of these things are bad enough on their own, but when I take into account that they all transpired in game sessions filled with some of the most foul-mouthed, racist, homophobic pieces of shit to ever grace the internet, it makes me wonder how I made it this long.

My breaking point was the map pack. 15 dollars* for 3 new maps and 2 COD4 maps is a price I’m just not willing to pay. Most will, but this is the point where I’m jumping ship. I wish more people would actually think about not only the fact that they aren’t getting 15 dollars* worth of content out of this, but more importantly what message that sends to Infinity Ward and Activision. This map pack will probably be the highest selling piece of DLC ever, and that means that we will never see another map pack(for MW2 or any of the other dozen COD games coming out the next few years) coming out of Activision for less than 15 dollars*. Then again, rational thought might not be a strength of the average MW2 player.

At least there’s a light at the tunnel for me. Modern Warfare 2 is still sitting at 1000 points(60 bucks worth of trade-in value) on Goozex. It might take waiting a bit, but eventually that copy of MW2 will turn into something much better, such as Darksiders or Final Fantasy XIII. Also, I’ve got Bad Company 2. 

*- Sometimes 15 dollars is actually more than 15 dollars. For instance, if you have no Microsoft points and want to get the MW2 map pack, you will have to buy 2 separate point packs to hit the 1200 points which are required, costing you $18.75, also leaving you with 300 MS points leftover. Which isn’t enough to get shit on XBLA. Unless you count that sweet MW2 avatar clothing.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By LackLuster

CoD doesn't have the worst community its the fact it has the most, so your more likely to run into the many assholes of the world.  As far as DLC goes what don't you just I don't know not download the maps and still play multiplayer unless you really hate it that much.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Naughton
    @LackLuster: Either way, I'm tired of starting up a match and having to go though and mute half the players in the game. I'd thought about just continuing to play the multiplayer without the new maps, but then I'd still be playing an annoying, bug-filled game. The DLC isn't the only reason I'm getting rid of MW2, it was just the last one.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dbz1995

Fair enough. I salute you.

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TonicBH

"Bug-filled." Could you elaborate on any bugs that are currently in MW2? Not previously-patched ones like the infinite ammo glitch, the javelin explosion glitch and the 18-player FFA Rust public match glitch, I mean bugs that are in the game right now.

I still enjoy MW2, and I'm not paying a goddamn dime for the map packs because I've always liked free shit. Even at $5, map packs are a bitter pill for me.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By theguy

I'm right with you. BC 2 is better anyway.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Naughton said:
    "

"
    See ya on BFBC2? 
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By George_Hukas

So play something else.. its a fucking game.. what are we switching careers?

People get way too invested in this shit. 

And stop acting like TTG and S7 aren't scouring BC2 for glitches, that fanboy shit is played.. there aren't nearly as many people playing so they aren't as public. That infinite grenade launcher glitch was found during the first week

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60

I'll be fine with the game if they fix the stupid spawning.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iam3green

yeah, i know what u mean. $15 for maps, kind of expensive. i play it on ps3 so i'm waiting for it. i'll be paying $15. i think they should have added a few things or something like that on the 2 4 map packs.

Duke_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Duke_Lion

Yeah I totally agree with you man, 15 bucks is to much.  I actually talked about it on my show im starting up

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eric_buck
    @Naughton: Turn down the mic volume, you never have to mute. Problem Solved.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlwaysAngry

It blows my mind how people have still never figured out about the magical mute button. 

You don't have to buy the DLC you know. 

Blah blah blah. Haters gonna hate.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Naughton
    @Eric_Buck: That's hardly a solution, especially since I try to play with friends if at all possible. 

@AlwaysAngry: I have figured out the "magical" mute button. Hence  " I'm tired of starting up a match and having to go though and mute half the players in the game." I also understand I don't have to buy the DLC(which will be pretty damn easy now that I got rid of the game), but even continuing to play without the DLC, I feel like that'd still be supporting a company that I've quite frankly had enough of.  
    sho76und3wd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sho76und3wd

I got out of MW2 a while ago.  I traded it when Gamestop was doing the additional 50%.  Before that I hadn't played it for nearly a month.  I just couldn't take pretty much everything you described.  All I wanted was a COD4 with slight improvements, and instead I got something totally different with way too many problems to make it a fun and playable game.

MW2 is basically how I felt when Halo went to Halo 2.  It was made for the masses and it wasn't nearly as fun for me. 

thisisdell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thisisdell

Hey this guy did what I did 2 months after MW2 came out.  I was a die hard COD4 player.  But MW2 is different, and not in the good way.  I stopped playing after the 3rd title update that made reload times go away.  Remember that.  Noob tubes being fired off at about 4 per second.  This following the Jav glitch and the horribly unbalanced 1887's.  

I like you also had the problem of hating the racist tweens that play that game.  I didn't just mute half of my teammates.  I muted all of those motherfuckers.  The only people I could hear was my friends.  Would have been nice to have party chat.   

But in the end, the gameplay of MW2 just ins't compelling.  How many times can you play that game and be killed by a harrier?  Then since that guy got his 5 free kills with his harrier he gets another 7 kills from his pave-low.  Then he gets about 10-15 free kills because he has chopper gunner.  For god sakes you better hope he doesn't have a nuke.  Because if he does, well you lose.  Even if you were winning.  MW2 is fucking stupid.  No other game has this win button.  Because it is, in fact, retarded.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I have officially just gave up on the game today pretty much. 5th prestige level 28. 

I had my fun with it, and even bought the map pack. But the main reason, is that when i bought the map pack, for some reason the matchmaking takes about 5-10 minutes to find a game instead of 30 seconds which it used to, before the map pack came out. Don't know what they did, but it screwed it up for me.

I also got an invite from my friend a few days ago, so i joined the game and it turned out it was a 10th prestige lobby, so i unlocked all the titles and emblems just by joining. Guess it was sort of also the fun of unlocking the titles. Oh, and it also changed all my game scores and details, so I'm ranked about 2000 in the world in the leader-boards of kills, score and accuracy.

AllJenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AllJenn

I loved the game so much but BF BC2 is just so much better and less frustrating

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.