Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Modern Warfare 2: an objective analysis. Lol jk.

JetTripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JetTripper

There has been a lot of debate recently as to whether or not MW2 is a good game or not, and I'm going to be brutally honest with you guys right now; It's the best FPS ever made.

No, but seriously, it's actually really bad. No one likes this game. In fact, I'd even go as far to say that more people actively hate it than those who like it. I know I do, and let's face it, I'm awesome so I must be right. Now, I could go and list all the reasons why this game is terrible, so I will.

1) Shotguns.

I.e. sniping with the Spaz-12. Yes, it's cheap. Yes, I did it. And yes, the nuke was worth it. But it doesn't make me any less of a cunt-bucket for using it. See, the whole balancing factor that makes shotguns possible in FPS games is that there's a trade-off; they've got high damage, but low accuracy. But, assuming you've ever actually played MW2, you'll notice that's not the case here. See, the Spaz-12 is kind of magical, like a unicorn. It's got all the things that make it a good gun (e.g. range, accuracy, damage), and it doesn't stop there. See, anyone who uses the Spaz-12 is instantly imbued with magical powers. Those wielding this mighty weapon are granted the power of gigantic faggotry for as long as they use it. 

This is gun is unbalanced. That's a fact. Too much damage + too much accuracy + too good range = Over Powered. How could Infinity Ward let something so major slip into their game? Who knows, maybe they were just too busy running their company well.

If you still don't believe that the Spaz-12 isn't game-breaking, why don't you take a look at this video here. It should help you understand.

Now there are other guns that are arguably just as cheap *cough* Famas *cough*, but I think the Spaz is the worst offender here because you have to at least aim dead on with the others. The Spaz-12 is more about aiming in their general direction than actually at/in front of  them.

2) Camping.

"Camping? But that exists in ever game." Yes, I know it does because I have played every game. Ever. But most games don't promote camping to this degree. In MW2, it's just too easy and too rewarding to camp. That's not how an FPS should be played. When I play a shooter, I want face-paced, intense action.

The most fun I've ever had playing an FPS is when I was at a disadvantage. I'm talking four versus one type stuff. Adrenaline pumping. Trigger finger itching. My skills against their. My reflexes pitted to theirs. No time to think. At this level, you let your instincts take over. If you hesitate, you're dead. I play for the excitement of what you know is to come, the suspense during the fight and the mind-blowing feeling of accomplishment afterward.  Something like this.

Pretty cool, huh? That's the kind of gameplay I want to experience. Not a bunch of flow-breaking camping. If I wanted to do something boring and just end up disappointed, I'd play with my dick.

But the thing I hate most about MW2 is that there's just no incentive to not camp. In games like halo, if you camp, the other team will just pick up all the power weapons and own your face with rockets, but, with MW2, you start off with everything you need so camping doesn't really have any adverse effects that could deter you from doing it. The result is some slow-paced, flow-breaking, boring ass gameplay. And it really doesn't help that all the maps a designed with perfect camping areas placed... Well, everywhere, really.  

3) Noobtube.

Seriously guys? Like really. It's a grenade launcher. A gre-nade laun-cher. You spawn with a goddamned grenade launcher. Do I have to go into why exactly this is so wrong? This also includes the RPG, Thumper and any other explosive-projectile weapons. Having my 10 kill-streak ended right before I get my AC130 by some dipshit with a cannon strapped to his gun just makes me want to pull my hair our, and I don't have a lot of hair.

Now, despite the fact that I've been shouting at this game for the last 5 minutes, it does have some redeeming qualities, but it also has a lot wrong with it. Too much wrong for me to really take it seriously as a competitive game, but it's still a fun and usually fast-paced shooter for when you're drunk or high or your judgment is impaired in some way. I say fast-paced because, when the other team isn't camping, it is quite fast-paced and hectic. Kind of like a stampede, which I guess would be cool if you were part of the actual stampede and being trampled underneath.  Also, Guile theme goes with everything.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Despite the fact that you die in two hits most of the time and you automatically spawn with everything you would ever need in a match, I tend to dislike multiplayer when they put the power weapons at certain spots on the match. New players will have no clue where they are while "veteran" players will automatically hustle to the spot. You shouldn't need to automatically sprint to a certain part of the map just to get a weapon that's actually worth something and is capable of killing enemies.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @natetodamax said:
    " Despite the fact that you die in two hits most of the time and you automatically spawn with everything you would ever need in a match, I tend to dislike multiplayer when they put the power weapons at certain spots on the match. New players will have no clue where they are while "veteran" players will automatically hustle to the spot. You shouldn't need to automatically sprint to a certain part of the map just to get a weapon that's actually worth something and is capable of killing enemies. "
    Right veteran players have the advantage of the map layout and whatever experience they have with the game...really the only fair way of doing MP. 

When you have unlocks it gives new players a much bigger disadvantage then power weapons on the map... 

Power weapons also dictate strategies and pushes towards certain areas on the map, look at Halo or Gears you have people actually taking positions and moving ahead in a unit as oppose to just roaming the map. 

Also c'mon, only the power weapons are worth a damn? You're wrong on that end...
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By natetodamax
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " Despite the fact that you die in two hits most of the time and you automatically spawn with everything you would ever need in a match, I tend to dislike multiplayer when they put the power weapons at certain spots on the match. New players will have no clue where they are while "veteran" players will automatically hustle to the spot. You shouldn't need to automatically sprint to a certain part of the map just to get a weapon that's actually worth something and is capable of killing enemies. "
    Also c'mon, only the power weapons are worth a damn? You're wrong on that end... "
    I was mainly referring to Gears Of War and the fact that the Lancer is basically garbage compared to other weapons. It's just my opinion, wasn't trying to speak for everyone or state it as fact.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @natetodamax: *cough* Shotgun *cough* 

Also active lancer can take a guy down pretty fast, add that and when you have 2 or more people on one guy... 

Never mind you're just gonna go "MY OPINION END OF DISCUSSION" on me so what's the point...
    JetTripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JetTripper
    @natetodamax said:
    Which is why it's so important to have a skill based matching-making system. Pitting veterans against players who have trouble navigating the start menu doesn't exactly make for intense games. 

And MW2 wouldn't work with power weapons. You just can't fit that into this game. Most guns kill you in 3 bullets anyway. Ever weapon is a power weapon.
    one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By one_2nd

It's not terrible, but it's by far the worst cod multiplayer yet. It goes 4 then 5 then mw2. 

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By bicycleham

In order to get rid of a shotgunner. Run around them and shoot. 

To get rid of a camper, throw grenades or shoot faster. 

To get rid of noob tubes choose a runner class and run for your goddamn life and knife.

JetTripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JetTripper

And lets be honest guys, as good as the Shotgun and Lancer are or aren't, there's no way they compare to the Boomshot. It's all about controlling the power weapons. And stop talking about Gears, I'm trying to rip on MW2 D:<

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dylabaloo

You also forgot to mention the Models in there hey day and Knifers but yes I totally agree with you this game is broken and I don't have fun playing it at all. 

JetTripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JetTripper
    @Xolare said:
    " In order to get rid of a shotgunner. Run around them and shoot.  To get rid of a camper, throw grenades or shoot faster.  To get rid of noob tubes choose a runner class and run for your goddamn life and knife. "
    I'm not saying I can't beat them, when my friends and I log on we destroy campers, regular players and noobtubers alike, but I notice that a lot of bad players are getting a lot more kills than they should be.
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bicycleham
    @jadeskye said:
    "
    Cool story bro! 
    Cool story bro! 
    "
    Aren't comments like these like illegal now?
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alexander
    @Xolare said:
    " Aren't comments like these like illegal now? "
    Thankfully the mods don't sound like they'd implement the absolutely retarded idea of banning certain memes.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By natetodamax
    @Xolare said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    "
    Cool story bro! 
    Cool story bro! 
    "
    Aren't comments like these like illegal now? "
    I wish they were
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Bass

If you are going to complain about op weapons you should complain about the ump. easily the easiest to use/best weapon in the game. I have a good rush gamestyle and i have no problem with campers normally. Noobtube is a legitimate issue, but oh well.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bicycleham
    @Bass said:
    " If you are going to complain about op weapons you should complain about the ump. easily the easiest to use/best weapon in the game. I have a good rush gamestyle and i have no problem with campers normally. Noobtube is a legitimate issue, but oh well. "
    Counter with shotgun or high powered rifle such as the AK or SCAR.
    HyBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HyBound

I'm pretty sick of this shit. I play MW2 multiplayer off and on and every time i come back i am able to get to the top one or two of the match without using cheap tactics or guns. Its pretty easy to quickly counter a lot of the tactics employed by shitty douche-whistle players. Sure, there are a couple times when you'll just die to noob-tubers or shotgun-sniping or something else that seems cheap, but as long as you play tactically you can always either stay away from them or catch them where they can't use their tactics to their advantage. Don't bitch about games being un-balanced when you haven't put the time or effort into actually trying out different tactics aimed specifically at taking those guys down. 

Bitching about MW2 being un-balanced is like bitching that starcraft is un-balanced: some things seem super un-balanced because you keep getting steam-rolled by someone doing something that destroys your army quickly and easily, but ultimately you're just a lazy player who would rather bitch and complain than change your tactics...

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By wefwefasdf

Sorry HyBound, comparing MW2 to SCII is just wrong. MW2 is a un-balanced pub fest of a game. Not saying I don't enjoy it every now and then though.
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Akrid

I've never seen a shotgun sniper, camper, or noobtuber win a match. What's the beef?

You've obviously played a metric fuckton of the game, everyone here has. It can't be that bad.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By aurahack

Heh. Look at Jared starting a Modern Warfare hate thread.  

DIS MY TURF DAWG. 

Also, MW2 is broken garbage.

R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By R3Qui4M
    @HyBound: Bitching about MW2 being unbalanced is totally different than bitching about SC2. One game had an extensive beta to get the balance in the game, while the other was too lazy to have a beta and shipped with overpowered weapons. As much as I love playing MW2, it is hella unbalanced.
    JetTripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JetTripper

Hey there, Errrrrrrc.

And I do recall you defending that game when it first came out, by the way! :P 

@HyBound said:

" I'm pretty sick of this shit. I play MW2 multiplayer off and on and every time i come back i am able to get to the top one or two of the match without using cheap tactics or guns. Its pretty easy to quickly counter a lot of the tactics employed by shitty douche-whistle players. Sure, there are a couple times when you'll just die to noob-tubers or shotgun-sniping or something else that seems cheap, but as long as you play tactically you can always either stay away from them or catch them where they can't use their tactics to their advantage. Don't bitch about games being un-balanced when you haven't put the time or effort into actually trying out different tactics aimed specifically at taking those guys down.   Bitching about MW2 being un-balanced is like bitching that starcraft is un-balanced: some things seem super un-balanced because you keep getting steam-rolled by someone doing something that destroys your army quickly and easily, but ultimately you're just a lazy player who would rather bitch and complain than change your tactics... "

>Implying that I don't actually win 95% of the games. 

I do. It's not that it's a problem for me, but it doesn't matter either way. The game is broken either way.
    jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By jelekeloy

I like MW2...

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Azteck

This is the reason I stopped playing the game. Hell, I don't even own it anymore. I couldn't stand the broken multiplayer. It was far too frustrating, even when I was doing great. And I don't see how anyone actually enjoys it because every single person I've seen or heard play the game get frustrated at other players. Broken, completely broken.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By GunstarRed

Yes, yes Modern Warfare is a bit broken, I know why I stopped playing it despite putting ridiculous amounts of time into cod4. After watching that Spas12 video I felt like I wanted to jump right back into the game... it looks so ridiculously broken that I think I should give it another go.
    JetTripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JetTripper
    @marioncobretti said:
    " Yes, yes Modern Warfare is a bit broken, I know why I stopped playing it despite putting ridiculous amounts of time into cod4. After watching that Spas12 video I felt like I wanted to jump right back into the game... it looks so ridiculously broken that I think I should give it another go. "
    I'm sure I read that wrong. xD
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Alexander

Lots of hate for one of the most popular online shooters, particularly here at GB. I figured all the kids whingeing and moaning about the multiplayer had stopped playing by now.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#28  Edited By citizenkane
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By calidan777

You do realize that the people who don't like MW2 multiplayer are in the minority, right?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Example1013
    @calidan777: It just doesn't sound like it because the only people you see posting are complaining.

I certainly get frustrated at the game sometimes, but in general I enjoy it.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SpiralStairs

Why all the hate for MW2? It's fast, it's fun, and it's overall a really good FPS, probably the best on the current gen consoles.

The Single player campaign is fun too, and from my experience the controls are much more responsive that other FPS games, and enemies don't take forever to kill.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Example1013

@SpiralStairs: I don't think anyone can deny that MW2 multiplayer gets frustrating. There are some things in the game that many people, including myself, feel are unfair, and should be removed. For the haters, these things make the game not worth it to them. Thus, they'd disagree with you on it being the best current-gen shooter.

I find MW2 to be a bit rushed and claustrophobic for my tastes. I prefer a slower pace with less wracking of nerves. In MW2, getting hit from behind is way too common, because there are too many directions people can come from for me. I prefer finding a nice, defensible spot and controlling it, without having to constantly worry about whether or not someone's sneaking up behind me. That said, I still play and do well. There are some things that I'd want to see fixed, but overall, MW2 is a quality game.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thedj93

Well, I don't like it because I'm BAD at it, and lack the patience, or focus, or time, to fix that.
    Fuck it, I prefer counter strike anyway.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Im not going to write any form of opinion here as I feel an argument brewing but 
    I read that full thread, comments and all to that theme. This kid is right it does go with anything :D 

Youre pissed now? 3 Words. Exploding RC Cars. 
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I'm guessing there are a lot of Halo fans on this thread?

Onced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Onced

As with most people, I have a love-hate affair with MW2. There are certainly plenty of hooks that keep me coming back, time and time again. Titles, prestiging and yelling triumphantly at the screen when I shoot down a Pavelow or harrier are among those. There's certainly no denying the formula for MW2 works, it's been pumped to the masses who take to it like birds flying. It only becomes a problem when someone dickishly places a glass wall infront of those birds, and watches them slam up against it and fall hopelessly towards the unforgiving ground.  

It becomes a system of trial and error for me, where I'm constantly trying to maintain the balance of frustration vs. fun, it's a shame that frustration often triumphs. M20fucking3's, Magical Knives of Mordor that apparently cease pain for the wielder and grants an instant death upon slashing of the kneecaps, regardless of how many bullets I'm pumping into the chest of the person, and camping are probably the only things I whinge about incessantly while playing the game.  

Despite those flaws, I find myself unable to entirely remove MW2 and forget about it. The frantic, fast-paced action, the adrenaline rush you get when you scope a guy who's wishing the same thing you remain the reasons why I bite the hook and happily get drawn to the surface. Simply put, it's a game that succeeds in being fun. Something which in the sea of FPS out today, is something of a rarity. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

MW2 multiplayer was fun for the first 15 hours on day 1/2. I racked up nearly 3 days in multiplayer over 4 months and I really wanted to like it, but realised that I wasn't having any fun. so I traded it in for Bad Company 2, and I still play that regularly. 

For me the 3 bullet death with any gun is the worst, it ends up being the person who sees the other first that gets the kill, not whoever is the best shot like in Halo, or Gears (when there is no lag). 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.