Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Modern Warfare 2 WILL KILL YOUR FAT PS3!!!

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By defaulttag

According to this article, a lot of people are experiencing the same problem with the same symptoms:
    FAT PS3 (60/80GB), MW2, Firmware 3.10+, Console Death

http://gizmodo.com/5449974/is-a-firmware-update-killing-ps3-blu+ray-drives

The article has a link to the thread with more details.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By meteora

It just goes to show how much awesomeness is on the MW2 disc that the PS3 and Xbox 360 can't handle it.

But in all of seriousness the fatality rate of consoles is probably more likely if a game sold 10 million copies than say a million.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By defaulttag
    @Meteora: Very true. Despite that, I still do not like how fragile consoles are nowadays. Consoles should last. My PSX still works as well as my N64 lol. Why should 360s and PS3s be like this? I have a 10 year old PC that works fine as well.  I'm happy my steam version of MW2 is not doing anything to my current gaming PC.
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @defaulttag: I have to agree that consoles do seem a lot more fragile these days. My Gensis, PSX, N64 and PS2 are all still running and I've never had to replace or repair any of them once.

Now with the original problem I really doubt it's MW2 killing the consoles. It's much more likely that people are just playing the console a lot more than usual and it just gives out. And the fact that it's linked to MW2 is because like Meteora said, there's millions of copies sold. If they played any other game as much as MW2 it would of probably gave out as well.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By penguindust

There is a discussion about Firmware 3.15 over in the "Playstation Network" forums here on GB with many more links to more terrifying stories of suddenly dead consoles.  Firmware 3.15 Problems

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By meteora
    @defaulttag: Not sure myself. I know the 360 is pretty much a rushed piece of hardware coming from Microsoft. I can't really say much about Sony but Nintendo I'm guessing  has less fatality risks because it uses outdated technology that's more stable than trying to jam in powerful processors into the 360/PS3.
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By defaulttag
    @Meteora: Perhaps. This makes me want GB user Geno's Console-PC Hybrid lol.  As far as I know, PCs last if you don't mess with overclocking.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By iam3green

it is funny to hear these types of things. it might because they are using it a lot more then they should. the ps3 ends up dieing from it being used a lot.

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Laharl

Not just the consoles but the controllers as well suck ass these days, im on controller number 4 cause the left analog stick is jacked, every game i play my character is slowing moving forward without me touching anything, quite annoying. 
    A few months ago i actually dragged my n64 out of my dusty moldy closet and the the damn thing worked just as well as when i first got it.  Ah the good ol days when you could just blow into the cartridge and all your problems would be solved.

Oh and related to the article i have a fat ps3 and i have MW2, ive seen some problems like freezing and what not but i havent gotten a yellow light.....yet, good thing ive stopped playing for the most part i guess. Reading the article and seeing the words "dying of old age" about my ps3 thats FAR from old kinda pisses me off, shit my nes in the attic prolly still works and now my 600$ ps3 is "old" ugh.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By JoelTGM

but then I wonder how many people are playing on a fat PS3 with the latest firmware and MW2, without any problems.  I bet it's just the usual overheating problems that consoles face.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chokobo

*yawn* another one of these.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

I lol'd

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

Good thing my 80 gig Ps3 got a harddrive update so it's a 250GBer making me totally not applicable to this problem. 

Right guys? 

Right? 

Fuck.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yukoei

OMFG! THE 12 YEAR OLD WILL GO MAD! MAD I TELL YOU!

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zeforgotten

'looks at mine' 
    Nope, they're still kicking o.O

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Coombs

The thing I love about articles like this,
    Is that they NEVER take into account the fact that people who play games like MW2 tend to put HUNDREDS of hours
    into their system, And have probably been doing so since release. (Which is why the "fat" point makes sense here)
    It's why old school systems last forever and new ones burn out, Disc Drives.  Old cartridge systems have very little to break, New systems have lots of parts that can crap out and fuck the whole system.
    It's really just a matter of time. And since MW2 is what they have all been playing the last couple months,
    Well thats a pretty big window of time for that inevitable breakdown to happen.
    Theres a word for it, What was that word......     Oh right Coincidence

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ch13696

I had firmware 3.10 installed for awhile. Same with my lil brother. I have a 60gb launch model. He has an 80gb model. Both backwards compatible. Nothing wrong with them at all. We even updated to 3.15 and they still work. And we played MW2 online a lot (mainly spec ops).

I'm gonna go on a limb and say maybe just maybe (not putting blame) that the end user problem messed up somewhere. Maybe shutting off PS3 in the middle of an update on accident. Or something like that. But I hear a lot of horror stories on the consoles. Uncharted freezing, blu-rays not reading, backwards compatibility no longer there. But I haven't ran into any of these. So far just my 360 red ringing. Good thing its and easy fix since I'm out of warranty.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By defaulttag
    @Coombs: You do have a point there. But All of these happening at the same time right after the firmware update is a little more than coincidence. Perhaps the firmware update did mess with how fast the BD drive reads. MW2 relies a lot on the BD drive rather than installed data if you cite the playstation thread. I'm not sure if this occurred when MW1 or WAW came out which is based on the same technology. But it sounds like a firmware problem more than 'how many hours logged into the console'
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Coombs
    @defaulttag: 
    Well I'm not saying its not a possibility,
    But what Id like to see are the number of people with fat PS3s who have the update,
    And are still playing no problem, I would bet it's a majority.
    But I could be wrong. If it happened to me I'd be blaming the update, I do know that.  lol
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy

I'm honestly terrified to turn my PS3 on now. I got the update this morning and I don't even know what to do now. I got it, turned off my PS3 so I could play Bayonetta on 360 and then heard about it..

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By defaulttag
    @ch13696: I am in the same situation as you. I've  logged about 50 hours into playing MW2 on my PS3 with 3.15 installed, and fortunately, nothing bad has happened. I have experienced freezing about 5 or 6 times, but not frequent. I no longer have the game for PS3 since I sold it for darksiders when it came out, got the steam version of MW2 instead.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By JJOR64

Don't play MW2.  Problem solved.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Warfare

I'm still good.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By defaulttag
    @xyzygy: My PS3 is fine and i've had the 3.15 firmware for a while. Then again, I did not play MW2 as much as other people have. I did play Darksiders 8 hours straight and nothing happened either. I just thought I'd share this info just keep people of aware of what COULD happen, but not necessarily always.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy
    @defaulttag: I have a 40GB, I barely hear anything about them breaking... well, not as much as the 60GB versions at least.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TwoOneFive

i thought battlefield 1943 killed my ps3.   

then i realized how seriously fucking dusty it was, including dog hair. 

so whatever. shit happens, i highly doubt mw2 is to blame. 

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lashe

My PS3 fat died with the latest update. Just as I found a copy of Valkyria Chronicles too

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Slippy

These articles are garbage. A game does not kill a PS3. A firmware update does not kill a PS3. 

Just because the PS3 broke under the above circumstances does not mean it was the circumstances that caused it. Millions of PS3 owners have a 60/80GB model - they are old consoles which are more susceptible to dying at this age. You also need the newest firmware to play online, so they will obviously have that too. Lots of people also happen to be playing Modern Warfare 2. It's a coincidence.    

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By defaulttag
    @Slippy: If you read near the end of the playstation thread, the 120GB Slim is affected as well.
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Slippy
    @defaulttag:  

Still a coincidence
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Tiwi

at least mine is still alive...
    GOOD!
    I HOPE I CAN 4EVER PLAY MY PS2 GAMES ON A PS3!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.