Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Why almost all CoD games (and some other FPS)...

Claymore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Claymore

...have Submachineguns stronger then Rifles?

In WaW the MP40 was stronger than the MP44
    In MW2 the UMP and other SMGs have more damage than a M4 or an ACR.

In some games (e.g. Battlefield, R6Vegas), I haven't seen this problem, the bigger the caliber, the bigger the damage - of course, at least looks like it works that way.

So wth don't they make the game weapons closer to reality?
    It's something that is annoying for me (besides that in MW2 the knife is a actual - powerful - weapon, not only the last resort)

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm thinking in reality (your words) if I'm shot with an UMP or a M4 both are going to do the same amount of damage i.e. Kill me. 

Also, play ARMA if you want a war simulator, not CoD or Battlefield.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

Stop whining that isn't even true........ for the love of god go play Arma or something if you don't like Call of Duty.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Hmm... It really beats me. Maybe because the smaller weapons like the UMP are easier to carry and have a better firing mechanism and stronger stopping power in real life? I'm no expert though. 

Although the ACR is pretty damn strong alright.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mmmslash

It's perfectly legitimate for an SMG to do more damage than a higher caliber rifle, it happens for the sake of balance.

An SMG outputs more DPS, but loses power over longer ranges (This is most notable in the CoD games). The range rating on the guns does not mean how accurate it is at higher ranges, but what the damage drop off is.

This is why when you run around a corner and shoot someone, it only takes two or three bullets, where as at a distance, it could take 5 or 6, even more.

That UMP that you are upset with, given the same user and the same skill ability, will always lose to that same person using the M4, at a decent range. Up-close, of course, it would always win.

Claymore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Claymore

Hey, I'm not saying that this isn't possible in real life, but like, the damage of the M4 is almost the half of the UMP.

@Mmmslash said:

" It's perfectly legitimate for an SMG to do more damage than a higher caliber rifle, it happens for the sake of balance.  An SMG outputs more DPS, but loses power over longer ranges (This is most notable in the CoD games). The range rating on the guns does not mean how accurate it is at higher ranges, but what the damage drop off is.  This is why when you run around a corner and shoot someone, it only takes two or three bullets, where as at a distance, it could take 5 or 6, even more.   That UMP that you are upset with, given the same user and the same skill ability, will always lose to that same person using the M4.   "

Yeah, you have a point. I hadn't thought 'bout it yet =/
    I think that if MW2 had larger maps (like the bigger ones in WaW) it would be horrible to use a SMG. Anyway, just wanted to talk bout that after noticing the damages of both weapons.

@Hitchenson said:
    " I'm thinking in reality (your words) if I'm shot with an UMP or a M4 both are going to do the same amount of damage i.e. Kill me.  Also, play ARMA if you want a war simulator, not CoD or Battlefield. "

I like CoD, but MW2 looks more arcade then ever. Now there's a lot more perks/attach/whatever. And about ARMA, well, it didn't runned so well in my PC (demo - ARMA2), so I hadn't the opportunity to play it decently.
    Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Tuggah

Maybe it is compared to other guns of that class, if that makes sense.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Bass

The UMP is a special case. When talking about smgs, they are typically completely outclassed by the AR's in MW2. Most of them have little to no recoil (thus beating the MP5K), or higher damage output per second (when compared to the vector, p90, and mini-uzi). Each gun has its advantages, but it basically comes down to the fact that the AR's are better than the SMG's in this game, as a rule. Of course, the fact that sway was all but eliminated (the AK is the only weapon with sway in MW2, and that's only if you use attachments), and recoil was drastically reduced makes all the Assault Rifles even better than before at long distance combat.

The only exception to this rule is the UMP. In skilled (emphasis here) hands, the UMP is just as good, if not better, than any assault rifle from any range. The UMP has more recoil than most of the AR's, but always kills in three shots. 

But we already have a thread about the UMP, so let's not talk too much about it here. The statement that some smgs do more damage than the m4 and acr, besides the UMP, is only accurate for the MP5K, and only at ridiculously close ranges.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pessh

Ever heard of balance?

FRIEZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FRIEZA

It's not true. You might think that because of the smoothness of SMG's. You can strafe them left and right better than asault rifles. I preffer submachineguns more. UMP silenced = MONSTER.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Gabriel

ACR is working out fine for me.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

the only problem is the UMP. it is a bit over powered gun because i think it seems like an assault rifle than a small machine gun.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

Because it's a video game, you need balance. They make them more powerful, so they can lower the range and still be fair about it. Rifles are all about mid range combat in games. Also in games SMGs are more about how many bullets you can get into them, then the actual damage of the bullets. 

Also in the world of games... damage can be expressed as a numerical value, which discredits ANY GAME EVER from ANY realism. So if you want to take your complaint that far, there you go. That's where that line of reasoning leads.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Andorski

Furthermore... why do FPS games have players respawn after dying?  Where is this technology and why doesn't the US military division have it?

ebritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ebritt
    @XII_Sniper said:

" Because it's a video game, you need balance.

@Pessh said: 

" Ever heard of balance? "

@Mmmslash said: 

" It's perfectly legitimate for an SMG to do more damage than a higher caliber rifle, it happens for the sake of balance.  

There's the answer! 
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Drebin_893
    @Andorski said:
    " Furthermore... why do FPS games have players respawn after dying?  Where is this technology and why doesn't the US military division have it? "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.