Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

User Created Mod

Concept »

A mod is a user-created patch that alters any part of a game, or adds new content to it. At the extreme, "total conversion" mods can change the game so much that an entirely new experience is created.

Available now and in the near future

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By me3639

As i have moved back to the PC as my primary gaming platform,  i have also noticed my interest again delve back into coding and mods. My only modding ability is that i am able to decipher code and make adjustments to game play or environments. However, the real modders out there are really doing some incredible things like fixing broken AAA titles, adding new levels, or ridiculous features. This is just a few that i have played, others im looking forward to and why every developer should release a SDK kit. 

Why are MODS great?
    1. They are made by passionate, skilled and creative gamers. 
    2. Community involvement
    3. Can get your foot into the industry
    4. FREE

1. Garry's Mod
    The mod of all mods. Built off the Valve's Source engine this gives the user a big open box of goodies and then lets you and your imagination run wild.

I remember when first released, i was like wtf?   

2. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series
      Only two games move from my old PC to my new PC when i update, Company of Heroes, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (now with Steam it doesnt matter). If you never played the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. when released, it was literally the greatest and worst of games. Bugs, crashes, dated graphics but still something special. When it was released it was near the end of the PC as a dominant platform, but lucky for us gamers Dolgov Studio re worked each of the games in the series and as a huge fan i can say they are all totally awesome. 

3.CryZone Sector 23
    As i was putting this blog together, i happened upon a listing for Cryzone. Cryzone is A Crysis 2 mod reworking of the original S.t.a.l.k.e.r. game. The game is currently in beta and being developed by Owl studios in Russia? I watched most of the beta testing videos and read an interview with the lead designer. I am hoping everything comes together because this is really looking good.  

4. Day Z 
    I have not played Day Z because i think it is still too early in development but you will have that with a one man development team. There seems to be weekly changes tweaking a lot of game play features where they he is still trying to figure out balance. i will probably play when i hear that it is finished, but 700,000 current users of Day Z are still enjoying what looks to be a real survival experience.

5. Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords Restored content Mod
    When you get props from the original writer of the game you must have done something right. Completed by a small modding team and released  just last week it includes thousands of bug fixes, and content that was cut from the original release. This would be a great time for Steam to add KOTORTSL to their library so we can get our hands on this mod.  

This mod is different from most as it doesn't include graphical changes, it lies in more o f the content and playability. 

6. San Andreas GTA IV mod  (beta3)
    This just released today: Again another small team porting over the 2004 San Andreas world into the GTA4 Rage engine. I played some of the earlier beta and this now adds Mp, graphical upgrades, and other enhancements. A MOD that should be on your play list and Steam has said they will support.

7. Minecraft Lighting and water Mod
    Minecraft has a lot of Mods but this was just released a couple of days ago. Im suprised it took this long, but again its from one guy so that's pretty impressive. 

8. L4D2 Cold Stream

Like Minecraft, L4D2 has a lot of mod support. The latest DLC for L4D2 actually began as nothing more than a map pack mod, but was later picked up by Valve and turned into a full community created campaign that released last week.  

9. Just Cause 2 MP Mod (Beta)

Speechless on how ridiculous this looks. Its had a couple of Btea release weekends but will be keeping a close eye on when a stable version is released. 

There are so many others i didn't include, Skyrim the most notable, but there are so many Mods out there. Always check sites of your favorite games, or mod forums to find out what games you could be interested in checking, or possibly helping out. Always support modders as they are not doing it for money, but because they love games.  

This as always is just my 2 cents and does not reflect anything by anyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.