Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monday Night Combat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 11, 2010

A multiplayer-focused third-person shooter that borrows elements from both Team Fortress 2 and Defense of the Ancients. Take control of one of six personified Classes and defend your Moneyball in a futuristic sports environment.

Which Turret?

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tsolless

So, what kind of turrets are your favourite and find yourself building?

Personally I am a huge fan of laser turrets. A level 3 laser turret costs slightly less than a rocket turret and a level 3 laser is better than a level 1 rocket. Plus it seems that the rocket turrets rarely get upgraded, it costs too much to lose a fully upgraded rocket turret. 

You?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By DystopiaX

rocket. and i frequently fully upgrade them myself.

Iron_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Iron_Past

Personally, I like to throw down and upgrade Long Shot turrets, provided we have enough other base defenses. If a Support actually bothers to hack it, it can potentially reach the other team's base. But then there's those idiots who build then underneath something or up against a wall.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By C0V3RT

Depends where I'm building. 

Around the moneyball I'll build rocket turrets, by the end of a (long) game my team usually can get them to a level 2. If I'm just trying to build support for myself and the bots I'll do a laser turret. Same goes with a nub thats shielded by a wall and can only really be seen once it's too late (like around a blind corner). A really well placed long shot turret is also welcome every now and then.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Damien

At first, I built exclusively rockit turrets, but they're so expensive and never get upgraded, so I usually build 2 or 3 fully upgraded lazer turrets.  They get a ton of mop-up kills, especially if two are close to each other.

Prolix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Prolix

The cheapest ones at the top.  The more 3s the better.  I can get them all up and level 3 quick with a few freezers and be set.  Then I like long shots on the corners and heavy guns on the inside.  

Basically, I run out quick and grab the outer guns.  So the inside guns will get buffed by the other players. They usually go with the most expensive anyway.  So by grabbing the outer guns, I push them inwards.  

Got to control the whole worthless team.  People still don't understand how to defend the bass or even make a base.  

This game is bad. Really bad.   But maybe some real developers will take note and go make a real game.  Its a good formula, its just covered in trash.   Looks like shit.

CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CaptainTryHard

I tend to vary my turret placement. Lazer turrets and rocket turret get split up in the middle of the base, place those ice turrets against walls so people will walk by and be frozen. Lastly, I like to hide longshots in the back or something just for that little help they provide.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it depends on the map really as well as what classes are on the opposing team. If its very assassin heavy team which some games are, I thrown down the shaveice turret. Other then that mostly have 1 lazer upgraded to level 3, and a long shot upgraded to 2-3. Im a big fan of arty turrets :P.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't have a favorite. All of them are pretty good.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By PK_Koopa

Depends on location. I love them lazer blazer turrets though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just in a game, the other team had like 3 level 3 long shots, and not joking like 5 gap shot bots. All you could see was artilary shells pounding down on our base, it was epic but we got the shit beaten out of us.

foejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By foejoe

I like spending the money on the rocket turrets, they're effin workhorses. Lazers are good to pump out for the cost, because as  someone said above they do excellent mop-up. I play mostly support class, so I have a blast running around managing the turrets.

Kear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kear

Rocket turrets:  I only build these if the ones next to the moneyball get destroyed, and only if I'm confident no one is going for easy turret kills. 
    Ice turrets:  I don't build these. 
    Laser Turrets:  I build one on each side, or build them on any empty node if they're all I have money for, then upgrade as I can. 
    Long Shots:  Love em, but I only try to build one on each side of my base, will upgrade if they seem to be surviving.  They are frail, and they are my main target at enemy bases, unless the shield is down of course.  

So my perfect set up is to have a rocket turret, a laser turret, and a longshot set up on both sides of my base.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

Longshots are by far my favorite. I get so random kills with those.

Is the Shaveice turret useful for anything in 6v6?

heavyplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By heavyplay

Apparently they make assassin's visible, and when they're forced to de-cloak that far into you're base, they're as good as dead.
    sully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sully

I like Shaveice turrets immediately surrounding the moneyball - they don't pump out too much damage, but they do a great job of absorbing punishment, they slow down people in the area, and bots looking to jump on the ball have to take them down before they do so. Perfect for the job, I figure.

COFFEESPANKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By COFFEESPANKS

i like the like the laser turrets and the long shots.

rockets are just too expensive...

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By octaslash

Total cost of a level 3 Lazer Turret: $175 
    Total cost of a level 2 Rockit Turret: $600

It may be worth it to upgrade the Rockit turrets you start out with, but I don't even bother with new ones. The extra money is usually better spent spawning bots or using the Annihilator.

PeepingTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By PeepingTommy
    @Prolix said:
    " The cheapest ones at the top.  The more 3s the better.  I can get them all up and level 3 quick with a few freezers and be set.  Then I like long shots on the corners and heavy guns on the inside.    Basically, I run out quick and grab the outer guns.  So the inside guns will get buffed by the other players. They usually go with the most expensive anyway.  So by grabbing the outer guns, I push them inwards.    Got to control the whole worthless team.  People still don't understand how to defend the bass or even make a base.    This game is bad. Really bad.   But maybe some real developers will take note and go make a real game.  Its a good formula, its just covered in trash.   Looks like shit. "
    What a nob.
    gateht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gateht

Combination of level three laser turrets at the front and long shots further back. I'm usually a support so I spend a lot of time in the base!

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mighty

Laser Blazer
    zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zidane_24

Longshots on the inside/unexposed slots, rocket or laser on the outside spots. Gap Shots to back them up, artillery-wise. 

I'll throw my firebase down if I'm worried about protecting the longshots.

KwillyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KwillyB

A 3.3 laser turret does more damage than a level 2 rocket. My biggest pet peeve when i playing support and maintaining the base is someone dropping a rocket turret somewhere and expecting me to come up with the 1200$ to upgrade it. Also those ice turrets keep assassins out your base.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By SumDeus

Shavice turrets are very underused. They can be really effective in certain spots.

Will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Will
    @Iron_Past: I always lead with a level 2 long shot. They almost always pay for themselves before an assassin gets them, and the level 2 almost always reaches the midpoint. 
    Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rehehelly

The one closest to their base, I always make it a long shot. Really annoys me when someone makes it a rochit turret. 

A hacked level 3 rains hell on their base.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chuggsy
    @SumDeus said:
    " Shavice turrets are very underused. They can be really effective in certain spots. "
    This is true. I love building shavice turrets around corners, so all the bots and players get slowed down when they try to approach your base. And they are super strong, even the Jackbots get stopped for a bit while attacking shavice.
    Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mighty

It's more effective with the Shavice if you have a dual-minigun gunner waiting to mow down the stalled enemies. It works really well, if one player is willing to sacrifice kills for winning.
    deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By deadmoscow
    @Prolix said:
    " The cheapest ones at the top.  The more 3s the better.  I can get them all up and level 3 quick with a few freezers and be set.  Then I like long shots on the corners and heavy guns on the inside.    Basically, I run out quick and grab the outer guns.  So the inside guns will get buffed by the other players. They usually go with the most expensive anyway.  So by grabbing the outer guns, I push them inwards.    Got to control the whole worthless team.  People still don't understand how to defend the bass or even make a base.    This game is bad. Really bad.   But maybe some real developers will take note and go make a real game.  Its a good formula, its just covered in trash.   Looks like shit. "
    Well aren't you a happy camper?  Did you just get screwed with an awful team too many times?
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I love Longshots. I feel they are essential when the mid game rolls around and Black Jacks start pouring in. 

That being said, you should only have two at the most during any given time.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By infininja
    @Prolix said:
    LMAO, what?
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jkz
    @Iron_Past said:
    " Personally, I like to throw down and upgrade Long Shot turrets, provided we have enough other base defenses. If a Support actually bothers to hack it, it can potentially reach the other team's base. But then there's those idiots who build then underneath something or up against a wall. "
    This. I also play support, so fully upgraded Longshots with a level-3 hack fire all the way into their base, and is pretty awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.