Capcom have released new Monster Hunter 4 details via a preview of the game in the latest issue of Famitsu Magazine in Japan. The company have also refreshed their website for the game to include some of the images and information below.
- New field.
- Contains both outdoor areas and cave-like areas.
- Cave part has giant crystals and plants that give off light.
- Camp area shows smoke rising in the background.
- Image of a hunter jumping into a gaping hole.
- Some areas with gas billowing out from the ground are also present.
- Area shown that looks like a giant net, presumably a spider's nest.
- Area shown with a pool of greenish liquid with a flock of some type of animal flying above.
- Can harvest "ex" that strengthen you by utilizing the staff to throw/release your insects.
- White "ex" strengthens movement, red strengthens attacks, orange strengthens defense, green strengthens vitality recovery.
- Type/color of "ex" received is dependent on which part of the monster you attack.
- Can have numerous different types of ex strengthening effects on you at the same time.
- Mark monsters with smoke to make it easier for insects to reach the monster when released. Insects will fly towards the marked monster or portion of a monster.
- Releasing insects at a monster that isn't marked will just send them forward.
- Can mark a specific monster, or mark a specific part of a monster.
- Order in which you harvest ex from monsters is: mark monster, release insects at the monster, insects will harvest ex, insects that have successfully harvested ex will glow with the color of the type of ex they harvested, have insects return to retrieve the harvested ex (this last part is automatically done when you have the insects return to you).
- If insects don't harvest any ex, they won't glow. Return them and try again.
- Have insects harvest even more ex to further strengthen yourself.
- Chelicera (arachnid) species.
- Builds nests in caves, utilizes its nest to attack, and can attack in various abnormal manners to corner its prey.
- Has a hidden chelicera in its jaw. This is also used for attacks.
- Can hang from ceilings using silk, or hang from the underside of its nest.
- Lunge: Sprays a thread of silk towards its target, then uses it to lunge at them.
- Slash: slashes at its target with its claws.
- Chelicera attack: utilizes its chelicera like a pincer attack.
- Silk attack: Shoots silk at target, binding them when it hits, preventing all movement.
- Amphibious (frog) species.
- Has a giant jaw.
- Utilizes its hind legs to jump around in any direction, even while on steep terrain.
- Can use its jaw like a shovel.
- Foreleg swipe: mows down anything that's right in front of it.
- Chomp: bites down on its target.
- Mucus: spits mucus from its mouth. Example shown of a hunter climbing, and Tetsukabura spitting its mucus at him.
- Boulder lift: lifts up a boulder using its jaw as a shovel. Similar to a forklift.
- Boulder crush: after lifting up a boulder with its jaw, Tetsukabura proceeds to bite down on it, crushing it, sending a hail of shrapnel around.
- Boulder throw: throws a boulder it has lifted up at its prey.
- Hunts Jaggi using its giant jaw.
- Riding/climbing up the Tetsukabura might be the key to conquering him.
- Can climb/ride on him now.
- Spit flame: spits flammable liquid from its mouth. Explodes when it hits a surface.
- Back jump: jumps backwards, can switch to a number of different attacks from this position.
- Can now hunt and eat prey, which recovers its stamina.
- Consecutive peck: uses its beak to incessantly peck at its target.
- Panic run: lunges forward while spitting flames everywhere.
- Acid spit: spits poisonous liquid; target will be poisoned if it hits.
- Flash: releases light in its general surroundings when it screeches.
- Tail attack: swipes its tail around. Has a long reach given its gum-esque tail.
- Can attack hunters while they're climbing by either flying up to them to attack or climbing up the wall.