Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

Monster Hunter Tri weapon advice.

ajGambino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ajGambino

I just got MHT for the Wii and a friend I'm going to be playing with uses a Long Sword. Problem is, I also use a Long Sword. In MHF2U, we had others to play with, so it wasn't a big deal..but in Tri, I'm looking to mix things up and try a different weapon to get more balance when we play. Any recommendations?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

All weapons are good if you learn how to use them. If you want something that isn't as slow as the hammer and great sword then the sword and shield or the switch axe will be good. Bowguns will also be good since you'll have plenty opportunity for ranged attacks while the monster is focused on your friend.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jiggah

Hammers.  Man, I use to hate them.  Once you understand how they work, they are ridiculously good.  Versatile as hell and extremely powerful.

noe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By noe

I wouldn't mind using the sword and shield, but I think I rather use the switch axe. That thing looks bad ass.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By animateria

Try the Switch Axe, it's a new weapon so it's as fresh as it gets.

The hammer is strong as usual so that's not a bad option either.

circle_of_iron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By circle_of_iron

I am liking time with the hammer and with the sword/shield combo

rathantoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By rathantoras

Lance all the way, it may not do as much damage as some others but when you can use it well you become invincible.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mmmslash

I use LS, and alternatively DS.

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By skunk

The Great Sword destroys alllll!! Easily my favourite weapon so far but I love all of them. Started using the Hammer and it's my second weapon of choice. The Lance is also pretty dope. Haven't built a Long Sword yet, but loved it in MHFU.

Nikopol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nikopol

Great Sword is tried and true favourite of mine. It's all about timing and the satisfaction of getting off a level 3 charged shot right on the monsters weakest point is bar none the most satisfying thing you can do.

Just keep a few points in mind with your great sword:

-have that motherfucker sheathed at all times unless you're drawing it onto the monsters face
    -dont bother walking around with your sword unsheathed unless you're rolling away or about to block something [hey there Barroth]
    -if you got a large opening draw out into a charge attack, make sure to let go of the button when your character glows white and he should do a level 3 charge. it should be indicated by the sound and the white flash coming off your dood.
    -If a small opening turns into a large, just combo it out into a charge by pressing X, X and then hold the directional stick some direction and press X again, this'll do a backside-kind-of charge, the most powerful hit in the game if you do a level 3 charge.  [I think it's X, whatever Triangle Equivocates to on the Classic Controller, too used to PSP!]
     -After landing any large attack from overhead, roll out to stop the long cooldown time of your character looking at this massive sword stuck in the ground.
    -what are you doing walking around with that thing out in your hands? Sheathe that dude! 
    -If you're online NEVER use the overhead slash, the one that you press X and A for. It'll throw your buddies into the air, and its not worth it, when you can just press X again after your unsheathe attack or if you really want to, press A for a sideways area attack.

rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By rubsnick

I like the Sword and Shiled it's as quick as the LS (quicker) and reminds me of the LS. I'm usually using the LS or SNS.

SilentCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SilentCommando

I really liked using Dual Swords in MHFU, but they're apparently not in this game. What would be a good substitute for this?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.