Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

Question about MHTri naming & gaming online with the Wii

BeefWaterfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BeefWaterfall

So hey, I'm about to finally go and pick up a Wii. I've held off for so long. But I loved playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on the PSP and thus....here I am now buying a whole new console just to play MHTri with my friends. 

Anyways, here's my newbie question: I've never owned a Wii so, I'm sure this may sound silly. I assume Wii has you create a gamer tag name like XBOX360 does? If so, does MHTri use that gamer tag as your character's name or does it use the name you give your guy in the single player game?  

I'm wondering because, back when I was playing Tenchu Z (on XBOX360) with my friends online co-op, the game used my gamer tag. Which is no biggie, but it would kind of bug me because my friends had very generic neutral sounding names and I had a very First Person Shooter sounding gamer tag. So, my Japanese medieval period ninja guy was running around with a really silly name above his head. So, if on MHTri (and other games) it uses my gamer tag, I'll pick a gamer tag that is not modern sounding, and plain neutral for whatever occasion. It doesn't bug me for fps shooters, but it bugs me for fantasy co-op style games if I'm running around with a sword and I'm called 50cal_Headshot or something like that. 

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By McSmunions
    @BeefWaterfall: 
    most wii games are game specific i believe. for monster hunter you'll get a unique friend code and your character online will have the same name you give him  offline. hope that helps
    BeefWaterfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BeefWaterfall

Yeah that helps. Thanks McSmunions. 

I can't wait to jump into this game.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rallier

It uses the characters name however you also have an ID code and you can make multiple of those. So it is possible for people with the same name to run around but since you can make multiple ID codes i suppose that you can create separate friend lists. I don't really have all that much use for it myself but i suppose that some people can think it is usefull.

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By skunk

Make sure you get the CCPro bundle! The wiimote controls look aggravating.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.