Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Franchise »

The Mortal Kombat series, and its many games, continues to deliver gruesome fighting action to its fans.

My Top 11 Fatalities

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

I was reminiscing about Mortal Kombat today so I figured I'd list my personal favorite fatalities (11 of them to be exact). Some people may complain that some of their favorites are missing from this list, but hey that's what makes this list my list. There's 11 of them because one of them is a stage fatality. Anyway, on with the list! 

11. Bell Tower Stage (Mortal Kombat 3) 

If I would have been able to pick two stage fatalities, one of them would have been the MK2 pit, but the Bell Tower Kombat Zone in MK3 was far more memorable. You uppercut a dude into the air, and his body crashes through a bunch of floors in the tower, until he reaches the bottom level, which by chance has a bunch of gigantic spikes laid out. This fatality in the console ports was a bit less flashy, the spikes were very tiny and didn't look nearly as menacing. 

10.  Baraka's Head Slice (Mortal Kombat 2)

Seeing as Baraka is my favorite character in Mortal Kombat II, he had to make it on this list somewhere. I enjoy performing this fatality more than anything, Back, Back, Back, Back + High Punch (close range). It's just such a clean decapitation, and a nice glob of blood flies out of the dudes neck afterward. "bloop!"  

9. Jax' Arm Rip (Mortal Kombat 2)

Mortal Kombat II has the best fatalities in the series, bar none. The gore looks just right, blood flies out satisfyingly and spatters across the ground, and there's just enough of that grim tone left from the first game to make it seem wicked. Jax ripping off a dudes arms is one of those unique animations in MK2 that makes MK3 fatalities look like a joke. The blood trickling out afterward is a nice touch.  

8. Robot Smoke's Armageddon (Mortal Kombat 3)

One of the more comical fatalities on this list, it's just absurd what this fatality implies. Robot dude opens up his chest-compartment and drops like 20 bombs on the ground, camera zooms out, planet earth explodes. What makes this even more hilarious is that Smoke somehow "WINS!", and he then proceeds to fight the next dude on the ladder. Maybe Smoke has some sort of time-traveling device in his chest-compartment as well.  

7. Johnny Cage's Triple Decapitation (Mortal Kombat 2)

Johnny Cage does the impossible in Mortal Kombat II, and it's just an inside joke from the developers of the game. In Mortal Kombat 1 there was a glitch where Johnny Cage would uppercut two heads off, and in MK2 they decided to up the ante and make it three. The normal fatality is simple enough, Forward, Forward, Down, Up at close range. But afterward, if you hold Down + Low Punch + Block + Low Kick, he'll uppercut two more heads off. Mysterious how the human body works.  

6. Kano's Heart Removal (Mortal Kombat 1)

One of the more iconic fatalities in MK history involves Kano ripping a dudes heart out of his chest, WITH HIS BARE HANDS. After the heart is removed, it continues to beat for a small period of time, which is amazing in its own right. Not much else needs to be said about this, since it's pretty awesome. In the SNES port of the game, there was no blood involved, and the heart looked more like a smokers lung, all black and stuff. Man that version sucked. 

5. Liu Kang's Arcade Cabinet Slam (Mortal Kombat 3)

I'm not sure what kung fu school Liu Kang went to, but where ever it is, I want to go. He apparently gained the ability to summon/turn into a Mortal Kombat 1 arcade cabinet, and while that's not too useful on its own, it also plummets from the sky and falls on unsuspecting victims. Much better than that silly Kartwheel uppercut thing from the actual Mortal Kombat 1. Putting that machine to good use!  

4. Classic Sub-Zero's Ice Spike (Mortal Kombat Trilogy)

While Mortal Kombat Trilogy didn't really add anything useful to the UMK3 engine (look at the Aggressor meter, for instance) it did provide one of the cooler concepts for a fatality. Since the game lore had established that there were two Sub-Zero's, one of the dudes got the ice clone and air freezing crap (the stupid mask-less scar-faced hair gel idiot) -- and the other dude kept the ground freeze (and kept his mask, and therefor his ninja dignity). So what happens is Classic Sub-Zero uppercuts his opponent high into the sky, and then he does a big ol' ground freeze which forms a giant spike made of ice, at which point the opponent falls back onto it.  

3. Scorpion's Pack Attack (Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3)

Not the Scorpion fatality everyone was expecting, I'm sure. Flames are cool and all, but they don't necessarily make a good-looking fatality. When I was at my local Great Skate I would frequent the UMK3 machine and try to perform this fatality all the time, brings back so many memories. Scorpion lifts his arms up in the air all cool-like, which summons a whole pack of identical Scorpion twins (complete with yellow ninja suits), at which point the screen gets all black and they proceed to beat the crap out of the enemy. Truly memorable, who knows what's really happening when the lights go out, though?  

2. Sub-Zero's Spine Rip (Mortal Kombat 1)

Probably the most violent and serious of them all, it's also the catalyst behind the court acts taken against violent video games. Sub-Zero grips his opponents head with conviction, and pulls it off like a beast. Not realizing his own strength, the dudes spinal cord comes along for the ride. Sub-Zero just stares at the screen like, "WHAT." The fatality would make a return in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, but the screen would go black because they developers were A) too lazy to animate that again, and B) didn't want any more legal troubles headed their way.  

1. Kung Lao's Vertical Slice (Mortal Kombat 2)

The best fatality goes to none other than the vertical hat-to-body slice to rule them all! Exhibiting the greatness of Mortal Kombat 2, this animation was completely unique to Kung Lao, and also completely wicked to see unfold (HA, GET IT! UNFOLD). You must perform this fatality at the edge of sweep distance (I remember the spacing being pretty picky). Mr. Kung Lao takes his hat with a blade on it, and cuts vertically down the body of his opponent. There's a red seam in the flesh that can be seen, a little blood spurt, then shortly after each hemisphere of the body peels away from itself and flops to the ground. You can even see the meaty and frayed interior of the enemy, it's gruesome for sure, and my favorite fatality of all time! 

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

I was reminiscing about Mortal Kombat today so I figured I'd list my personal favorite fatalities (11 of them to be exact). Some people may complain that some of their favorites are missing from this list, but hey that's what makes this list my list. There's 11 of them because one of them is a stage fatality. Anyway, on with the list! 

11. Bell Tower Stage (Mortal Kombat 3) 

If I would have been able to pick two stage fatalities, one of them would have been the MK2 pit, but the Bell Tower Kombat Zone in MK3 was far more memorable. You uppercut a dude into the air, and his body crashes through a bunch of floors in the tower, until he reaches the bottom level, which by chance has a bunch of gigantic spikes laid out. This fatality in the console ports was a bit less flashy, the spikes were very tiny and didn't look nearly as menacing. 

10.  Baraka's Head Slice (Mortal Kombat 2)

Seeing as Baraka is my favorite character in Mortal Kombat II, he had to make it on this list somewhere. I enjoy performing this fatality more than anything, Back, Back, Back, Back + High Punch (close range). It's just such a clean decapitation, and a nice glob of blood flies out of the dudes neck afterward. "bloop!"  

9. Jax' Arm Rip (Mortal Kombat 2)

Mortal Kombat II has the best fatalities in the series, bar none. The gore looks just right, blood flies out satisfyingly and spatters across the ground, and there's just enough of that grim tone left from the first game to make it seem wicked. Jax ripping off a dudes arms is one of those unique animations in MK2 that makes MK3 fatalities look like a joke. The blood trickling out afterward is a nice touch.  

8. Robot Smoke's Armageddon (Mortal Kombat 3)

One of the more comical fatalities on this list, it's just absurd what this fatality implies. Robot dude opens up his chest-compartment and drops like 20 bombs on the ground, camera zooms out, planet earth explodes. What makes this even more hilarious is that Smoke somehow "WINS!", and he then proceeds to fight the next dude on the ladder. Maybe Smoke has some sort of time-traveling device in his chest-compartment as well.  

7. Johnny Cage's Triple Decapitation (Mortal Kombat 2)

Johnny Cage does the impossible in Mortal Kombat II, and it's just an inside joke from the developers of the game. In Mortal Kombat 1 there was a glitch where Johnny Cage would uppercut two heads off, and in MK2 they decided to up the ante and make it three. The normal fatality is simple enough, Forward, Forward, Down, Up at close range. But afterward, if you hold Down + Low Punch + Block + Low Kick, he'll uppercut two more heads off. Mysterious how the human body works.  

6. Kano's Heart Removal (Mortal Kombat 1)

One of the more iconic fatalities in MK history involves Kano ripping a dudes heart out of his chest, WITH HIS BARE HANDS. After the heart is removed, it continues to beat for a small period of time, which is amazing in its own right. Not much else needs to be said about this, since it's pretty awesome. In the SNES port of the game, there was no blood involved, and the heart looked more like a smokers lung, all black and stuff. Man that version sucked. 

5. Liu Kang's Arcade Cabinet Slam (Mortal Kombat 3)

I'm not sure what kung fu school Liu Kang went to, but where ever it is, I want to go. He apparently gained the ability to summon/turn into a Mortal Kombat 1 arcade cabinet, and while that's not too useful on its own, it also plummets from the sky and falls on unsuspecting victims. Much better than that silly Kartwheel uppercut thing from the actual Mortal Kombat 1. Putting that machine to good use!  

4. Classic Sub-Zero's Ice Spike (Mortal Kombat Trilogy)

While Mortal Kombat Trilogy didn't really add anything useful to the UMK3 engine (look at the Aggressor meter, for instance) it did provide one of the cooler concepts for a fatality. Since the game lore had established that there were two Sub-Zero's, one of the dudes got the ice clone and air freezing crap (the stupid mask-less scar-faced hair gel idiot) -- and the other dude kept the ground freeze (and kept his mask, and therefor his ninja dignity). So what happens is Classic Sub-Zero uppercuts his opponent high into the sky, and then he does a big ol' ground freeze which forms a giant spike made of ice, at which point the opponent falls back onto it.  

3. Scorpion's Pack Attack (Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3)

Not the Scorpion fatality everyone was expecting, I'm sure. Flames are cool and all, but they don't necessarily make a good-looking fatality. When I was at my local Great Skate I would frequent the UMK3 machine and try to perform this fatality all the time, brings back so many memories. Scorpion lifts his arms up in the air all cool-like, which summons a whole pack of identical Scorpion twins (complete with yellow ninja suits), at which point the screen gets all black and they proceed to beat the crap out of the enemy. Truly memorable, who knows what's really happening when the lights go out, though?  

2. Sub-Zero's Spine Rip (Mortal Kombat 1)

Probably the most violent and serious of them all, it's also the catalyst behind the court acts taken against violent video games. Sub-Zero grips his opponents head with conviction, and pulls it off like a beast. Not realizing his own strength, the dudes spinal cord comes along for the ride. Sub-Zero just stares at the screen like, "WHAT." The fatality would make a return in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, but the screen would go black because they developers were A) too lazy to animate that again, and B) didn't want any more legal troubles headed their way.  

1. Kung Lao's Vertical Slice (Mortal Kombat 2)

The best fatality goes to none other than the vertical hat-to-body slice to rule them all! Exhibiting the greatness of Mortal Kombat 2, this animation was completely unique to Kung Lao, and also completely wicked to see unfold (HA, GET IT! UNFOLD). You must perform this fatality at the edge of sweep distance (I remember the spacing being pretty picky). Mr. Kung Lao takes his hat with a blade on it, and cuts vertically down the body of his opponent. There's a red seam in the flesh that can be seen, a little blood spurt, then shortly after each hemisphere of the body peels away from itself and flops to the ground. You can even see the meaty and frayed interior of the enemy, it's gruesome for sure, and my favorite fatality of all time! 

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By buzz_clik

Yeahhh boyeee! You and I are in total agreement on #1. My mates and I used to call it the Side of Beef, and used to love busting that bad boy out whenever we got Kung Lao (random character select was mandatory).

I was always quite partial to Milena's suck-'em-up-and-spit-'em-out effort, as well.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By MasturbatingBear

No Stryker? Really? 8 is amazing though.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lordofultima
    @MasturbatingBear said:
    " No Stryker? Really? 8 is amazing though. "
    I love Stryker but his fatalities are awful. Favorite Animality goes to Scorpion in UMK3 (turns into a penguin, what the hell?)
    Satune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Satune

Would MK2 be appealing to someone whos never really played an MK game before?

superbobafett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By superbobafett

wicked post buddy.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sil3n7

TOASTY!! -- Thats all I have to say.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Stang

I have alway's been partial to Baraka's back forward down forward (low punch?) fatality. Hold down and the dude slides down the blades...NICE! After that has to be Reptile's head eater fatality.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

Nice list. Only thing I would say is missing is Liu Kangs dragon fatality. That was the most memorable to me.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By killroycantkill

Nice list Ultima, brings back memories of the classic games. One of my favorite is actually from Mortal Kombat Shaolin monks. It's pretty aweomse. Not better than Spine Rip though.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Awesome. As a huge MK fan, I'm now inspired to make my own fatality list as well. I think you nailed most of the key ones. I too would put Kung Lao's MK2 Vertical Hat Slice fatality at #1. It's just so beautifully gruesome and simple. I'm glad to see some of the classics getting recognized, though I feel that perhaps some of the 3D MK games might deserve some love. Though truthfully, I can't even seem to remember most of the more recent fatalities. 

Heh, you know, looking at these fatalities reminds me of how dumb a lot of the fatalities are. Even some of my favorites are kind of stupid. I know a lot of them are meant to be wickedly comical, and there are funny things like opponents still screaming even after their head explode, and single bodies blowing up into several skulls and dozens of ribs. With that said, I think MK3 really took the series downhill, but back to my original point here, let's look at Jax's arm rip fatality. It's one of the best fatalities in the series, but it doesn't even seem to qualify as a fatality. The opponent certainly doesn't seem dead by any means and still stands upright. It is said that losing a limb would cause a person to bleed to death, but we should at least see him fall over or something. Or if they would just move a little and look around in horror before falling to their death. That's definitely the kind of stuff we need to see in a next-gen MK. They need to bring back that level of darkness.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lordofultima
    @Satune: I'd say it's responsive in the control department, and much less complicated than MK3. So yes. 

@Stang: Yes, Reptile's tongue attack is great in MK2. When they made him eat more sections of the body in UMK3 though, it got silly. 

@LiquidPrince: It is good, yes. Memorable like the Scorpion Toasty! and the Sub-Zero deep freeze shenanigans. Unfortunately the list had to stop somewhere, though. 

@TheGreatGuero: Yeah I didn't even remember them standing there after the arm rip, until I watched the video and went "what the crap? that looks funny as hell." I agree about bringing the series back to darkness, not MK: Deadly Alliance darkness, though. MK1 darkness.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Legend

Great list. I personally like Kitana's Death Kiss Fatality from MKII. It's too damn funny:

Also, here's a video of every fatality from the first four MK games: 

Avatar image for eightbitwarrior
    EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By EightBitWarrior

I like Raiden's Electrocution and MK3 Sub-Zero's Ice Breaker.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss

There is only one true Fatality, and that is the Chiropractor's Nightmare aka: Sub-Zero's spine rip. 

(...that hat slice is pretty hot tho)

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By chronicsmoke

Great List,my personal favorite is Reptiles tounge fatality in MK2,and baraka is my favorite character aswell =)

liquidfkinfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By liquidfkinfire

One fatality that I never hear people talk about is Quan Chi's from MK4.  Yes the game sucked, but this fatality is the best thing to come from it. 

...... Sub-Zero rules.
    Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice list. Kano is the man. Baraka's decap is poetry in motion.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm a big fan of MK3's Brutalities. The idea that you're punching a dude so quickly that he just explodes--that's nuts. 

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By dbz1995

Yeah, Kung Lao's fatality is amazing.
     But duder, you forgot some of Mileenas seriously messed up ones, like so:

Avatar image for knucklesthegreat
    Knucklesthegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Knucklesthegreat
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By mike

The spine rip is truly a legend in video games, not just in fatalities! Great stuff...I still remember the first time I ever saw it pulled off in the arcade, and when I finally got some dude to teach me how to do it. The internet was in it's infancy at that time and I was still getting my cheat codes & move lists out of magazines...actual print magazines. Man, I'm old.

Good stuff loltima.  c.mK.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jambones

Props to JC for the triple decapitation. Can't accuse him of not being thorough.

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ryonslaught

That spine rip is legendary!
    no leg beat from quan chi mk4?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.