Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Comedian Jon Stewart "morally kombats" Supreme Court Decision

• 109 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @TanoPrime said:

1. I think most of the people here complaining about selling game to minors being illegal are in fact minors and need to stfu, play mario and wait your turn.  The others are just bored.  2. I saw his skit.  There was nothing wrong with that skit and he wasn't hating on video games.  The joke was it is ok for my 5yr to disembowel someone and teabag them in a game but GOD FORBID he ever sees a breast or cameltoe.  It's retardo logic and you all know it.  

You are using what people complain about when it comes to broadcast television standards--that you can show people being shot, but you can't show bare breasts--and trying to apply that to video games.  The important double standard here isn't sex vs. violence, it's video games vs. other media.   

For this to be a true sex vs. violence double standard regarding VIDEO GAMES, you wouldn't say "it's okay for my kid to disembowel someone in a video game, but God forbid that they see bare breasts in that video game."  You wouldn't say that, because it's a non-issue, because they CAN see bare breasts in a video game.  Instead, you'd have to say "it's okay for my kid to disembowel someone in a video game, but God forbid that they see full sexual penetration--the kind that they don't even allow on HBO or Cinemax--in that video game. 

Did you see Jon Stewart making fun of the fact that it's up to store policy for Best Buy to prevent a 10 year old boy from purchasing Saw or Hostile, and imply that maybe it should be a federal law?  No.  Just as Yee and the supporters behind this stupid law only care about a child being exposed to violence when the child happens to have a game controller in their hands.   

THIS is the double standard.  Just because they showed a scene from Mortal Kombat and not The Witcher 2 doesn't suddenly make this into a debate over sex vs. violence.  It's not about that, and it never was about that. 
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By buzz_killington

His producers/writers/researchers/whoever-writes-the-words-he-speaks did an absolutely poor job researching how content is rated in video games, and how most stores have a policy of not selling M rated games to minors without an adult being present. No mention of the ESRB, no nothing. Someone could show clips of Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds and say the same thing about movies, that there is no fucking federal law preventing minors from sneaking into R rated films. This was bordering on Oprah saying "over 9000" territory, as in people behind the scenes not fact-checking the nonsense that comes out of the host's mouth.

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By ryno9881

My biggest annoyance at this whole thing is the fact that there is this perception that children have free reign to buy anything they want. Oh the children this the children that; parents are responsible for their own children. Jon Stewart said some stupid things his writing staff obviously didn't even research.

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By TanoPrime
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    @TanoPrime said:

1. I think most of the people here complaining about selling game to minors being illegal are in fact minors and need to stfu, play mario and wait your turn.  The others are just bored.  2. I saw his skit.  There was nothing wrong with that skit and he wasn't hating on video games.  The joke was it is ok for my 5yr to disembowel someone and teabag them in a game but GOD FORBID he ever sees a breast or cameltoe.  It's retardo logic and you all know it.  

You are using what people complain about when it comes to broadcast television standards--that you can show people being shot, but you can't show bare breasts--and trying to apply that to video games.  The important double standard here isn't sex vs. violence, it's video games vs. other media.    For this to be a true sex vs. violence double standard regarding VIDEO GAMES, you wouldn't say "it's okay for my kid to disembowel someone in a video game, but God forbid that they see bare breasts in that video game."  You wouldn't say that, because it's a non-issue, because they CAN see bare breasts in a video game.  Instead, you'd have to say "it's okay for my kid to disembowel someone in a video game, but God forbid that they see full sexual penetration--the kind that they don't even allow on HBO or Cinemax--in that video game.  Did you see Jon Stewart making fun of the fact that it's up to store policy for Best Buy to prevent a 10 year old boy from purchasing Saw or Hostile, and imply that maybe it should be a federal law?  No.  Just as Yee and the supporters behind this stupid law only care about a child being exposed to violence when the child happens to have a game controller in their hands.    THIS is the double standard.  Just because they showed a scene from Mortal Kombat and not The Witcher 2 doesn't suddenly make this into a debate over sex vs. violence.  It's not about that, and it never was about that. 
    Space, I am not debating sex vs. violence and I truly don't believe he was either.  What I am stating is that this country does tend to spaz out when it comes to sex over violence.  If I saw my child a penthouse, I'm a poor parent because I exposed him to vagina, something he came from and will one day go right back into in a drunken stupor.  If I take him to the gun range and start teaching him the finer points of making pink mist of someone's skull, in general, it's accept and moved along.  Do not misunderstand, I use these terms as examples.  I fully intend to form my man/girl spawn into a humping bloodthirsty ninja who will do hired hits for daddy as I am overly apathetic to most of the human race in general.  Do I agree with everything Stewart says? No.  Do I care if I minor can't buy a game? No, especially the lazy hellions I see nowadays.  I rather see them learn to socialize outside of a video game chat room and learn to be proper assholes instead of passive aggressive ones.  My observation is just that, in general, the US is more accepting of blowing people up instead of just blowing people.  I find it hilarious and so did John Stewart and that is what he was commenting on.
    '
    TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By TanoPrime

One more thing of my thoughts on this thread....  

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#106  Edited By Thoseposers

@TanoPrime: It all just comes down to social taboos like you said. I think violence is more easily accepted than sexual things when it comes to parent/child relations cause imagine the difference between watching a movie with your kid and seeing someone get punched in the face or shot versus nudity and sex. The former may be easier to explain and less awkward in a way

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By TanoPrime
    @thoseposers: Historically speaking, this country was started up by nut stomping, hardcharging dicks who would essentially take no guff from "dem der savages, British and hippies" ...pretty sure on the hippy thing.  Hell, Theodore Roosevelt use to bring people to box him straight up, get shot before a speech, kick his shooter's ass then give the speech anyway.  Shit, if Obama or even Bush had let me come to the White House for a sparring match, you'd have my vote just for being that awesome.  But we also bought that ol Puritan group on that boat over here to and while smacking the heathens rocked, don't tell anybody you fucked half the tribe!  It's taboo all the way.  It you go to some parts of Europe, tits show up in public legally more often...a pistol, not so much, at least legally.  Different views and I get it.  I just find it laughable. 
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108  Edited By Bestostero

Parents, get off your ass and do some parenting.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#109  Edited By citizenkane

While I love Jon Stewart and think he is a very intelligent man(probably the smartest man in cable and news television), he forgot to recognize the role of the ESRB into this whole thing. The Supreme Court only ruled than the government can not intervene with the rating, sale and distribution of video games. They said nothing about whether or not the industry can be self regulated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.