Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Here, there be dragons: Kano and Kabal Kombo Videos

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Edited By StarvingGamer
    @DougQuaid alas Kano. He really has no mixup game to speak of, with nothing off of a low and minor damage from an overhead. Basically if you're fighting a Kano player block high. I did make an interesting discovery however. Normally you can cancel a jumpkick into an airthrow but it looks like if the kick is blocked, the throw animation never comes out. Basically any time you are jumping and kicking with Kano, you might as well also be throwing because it's free damage.

Kabal only has one real difference with Kano, his combos look cooler. He may be able to combo off of a low but his only overhead options cause a knockdown and do about 10% damage. VS Kano block high, VS Kabal block low. Actually there was so little to explore as Kabal that I went ahead and did a real corner combo. It might be incredibly uncreative, but it gets the job done and, most importantly, leaves the opponent in the corner. Good luck finding a way to actually get in a situation to use it.

I'm starting to think I accidentally stumbled upon the most diverse characters in Scorpion and Mileena first and every character from here on out is going to be very linear. I think Scorpion is going to be my go to guy though, I don't know how I could live without combos off of mid and low from outside of sweep range. I've watched  a few Kitana videos and her combos seem pretty long and complicated, maybe I'll take a look at her next.

I'm assuming you've heard this plug before, but if you're looking for more quality content from other GBers, check out the Whiskey Media fighting game community channel on YouTube and subscribe. PSN will be back soon and SSFIV:AE is on its way. Also if you haven't yet, check out my previous combo videos for Scorpion, Mileena, Liu Kang and Raiden. As always your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @DougQuaid alas Kano. He really has no mixup game to speak of, with nothing off of a low and minor damage from an overhead. Basically if you're fighting a Kano player block high. I did make an interesting discovery however. Normally you can cancel a jumpkick into an airthrow but it looks like if the kick is blocked, the throw animation never comes out. Basically any time you are jumping and kicking with Kano, you might as well also be throwing because it's free damage.

Kabal only has one real difference with Kano, his combos look cooler. He may be able to combo off of a low but his only overhead options cause a knockdown and do about 10% damage. VS Kano block high, VS Kabal block low. Actually there was so little to explore as Kabal that I went ahead and did a real corner combo. It might be incredibly uncreative, but it gets the job done and, most importantly, leaves the opponent in the corner. Good luck finding a way to actually get in a situation to use it.

I'm starting to think I accidentally stumbled upon the most diverse characters in Scorpion and Mileena first and every character from here on out is going to be very linear. I think Scorpion is going to be my go to guy though, I don't know how I could live without combos off of mid and low from outside of sweep range. I've watched  a few Kitana videos and her combos seem pretty long and complicated, maybe I'll take a look at her next.

I'm assuming you've heard this plug before, but if you're looking for more quality content from other GBers, check out the Whiskey Media fighting game community channel on YouTube and subscribe. PSN will be back soon and SSFIV:AE is on its way. Also if you haven't yet, check out my previous combo videos for Scorpion, Mileena, Liu Kang and Raiden. As always your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

Very cool. I had a lot of fun playing around on a basic level as Kano, but hearing what you've said, I guess I won't be bothering with him going forward, as I'm trying to get good at the game.

It seems a lot of people really like Smoke and Ermac, maybe you should try playing around with them after Kitana.

Oh, also, got the Scorpion combos down finally. Thanks for the help. :)

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Renahzor

Kabal's combos all end in tornado throw which is actually more useful than it seems at first.  From that range dashing forward once puts you at sweep range, and conveniently also tornado throw overhead range, a dangerous little 50/50.  People can sit and try to low block all day but Kabal's sweep is very very fast and overhead tornado throw is no joke if you eat a few of them.  In addition the combo you start in combo 2 is cancellable into tornado throw with no chance to knock him out of it (FP FP xx tornado). 

Any time you start a combo off a grounded dash (IE: combo 2 that starts with FP, FP, <- BK xx Spin dash) you can dash back once, and jump BP into the same launcher combo(3% more damage maybe?).  This also makes Kabal very dangerous to hold low block against, he can start his most damaging combo off jump-in BP so it forces you to react by standing when he has several low options for knockdowns and a combo starter.  

To me Kabal is mainly a zoning character though, he threatens with a decent combo from fullscreen.  His air fireball can be done immediately off the ground making it very ambiguous for people to work around, and saw blades do decent chip damage.  Once in close you have the combos shown, and his FP, FP, FP string which staggers and allows a safe jumpin attempt, and decent high/low mixups that end with knockdowns and reset to a new mixup.  
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pessh

Subscribe or i'll turn you into a humancentipad

No Caption Provided
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Renahzor Yeah, the lack of PSN is making it hell for me since I'm not gaining any practical knowledge. I have no idea how safe any of this shit is or how effective each character's pressure may be. I can't wait until actually get to take this game online and fight real people. I need to make some RL friends that are into fighting games.
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Chummy8

Great vid.  I'd suggest you try out Noob.  His combos are quite nice/fun to pull off.  Currently, he's my fighter of choice with Kabal a close second. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.