Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Is this store policy?

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Twitchey

I bought Mortal Kombat used from my local Gamestop and received a free Kombat Pass on my receipt.
    Is this corporate policy or just store policy?
    I guess Gamestop has a deal with somebody.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Sooperspy

Wow, thats weird. I didn't know they did that. Lucky for you.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I'd actually like to know the reason behind this as well. That sounds like a very effective way of combating Project Ten Dollar.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Twitchey
    @KingWilly said:
    I'd actually like to know the reason behind this as well. That sounds like a very effective way of kombating Project Ten Dollar.
    There fixed it for you

I don't know why, the store clerk just said "We just do it"
    I'm not one to bitch about a good thing so I dropped it there.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By donchipotle

My GameStop does that kind of shit all the time. They give me pre order codes when I don't even pre order. They are all cool dudes.

Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Moody_yeti

@Twitchey said:

@KingWilly said:
    I'd actually like to know the reason behind this as well. That sounds like a very effective way of kombating Project Ten Dollar.
    There fixed it for you .
    I thought the same thing,We karnt have kombat spelt wrong in a Mk board : 3
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre

That's kind of crazy. While I would really like to see a change in the policy of used game sales (money should go to the developers from used sales, imo) this is a good way for gamestop to save face in the eyes of gamers.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @MariachiMacabre said:

That's kind of crazy. While I would really like to see a change in the policy of used game sales (money should go to the developers from used sales, imo) this is a good way for gamestop to save face in the eyes of gamers.

no it shouldn't. 

Peep this, I buy Crysis 2 from a big box retailer. Crytek and EA get my sixty dollars. I play it for a few weeks and I really enjoy it, but then I get tired of it and want to re-sell it. I know you're interested in playing Crysis 2, so I sell it to you for twenty, thirty bucks. You get access to all of the game as well as the multiplayer and everything on the disc. You have fun with it, but I don't, because I sold you my copy of the game.  

Not only are you saying Crytek and EA should get a cut of me selling you my property, but you're acting like this is the same thing as piracy, which it's not. I can't play Crysis 2 anymore because I sold it to you. The same amount of copies are in circulation with the same number of eyeballs playing the game. No replace you with GameStop and you have the exact same scenario. Used game sales aren't eating into publisher profits, the sixty dollar price point is.  

For instance, I went into a store yesterday looking to buy Fear 3, and they had it on sale for $69.99, which would've been about $75, for that same money I instead bought Crysis 2, Darksiders, and Bulletstorm. Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm retailed for $39.99 each, and Darksiders was $19.99. I shouldn't have to tell you that I wound up spending more money than I originally intended, but that's fine because I got more value for my money. Three great games instead of one (probably) mediocre title. 

So the next time you want to make an erroneous statement like "developers should get a cut of used game sales", you might want to re-think why developers need to get some of my personal transaction money when I decide to sell a game I own.
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By TechHits
    @MariachiMacabre said:

And how would gamestop make money?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.