Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Mortal Kombat Requires Online Pass

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By YoungFrey

This time around it's called a "Kombat Pass"  and it is required to play online after the two-day trial (so people that rent look pretty safe).  I don't care bout debating the issue.  I only want to put the information out clearly for people looking to buy.  

I didn't see it mentioned on the Overview or in Jeff's review, so I decided to drop it here.    I   know there is already a thread about this, but it isn't as clearly titled and is two weeks old.  If you want to debate the issue, feel free to revitalize that one.
    Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Sanious

Jeff does mention it in the video review.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By YoungFrey
    @Sanious said:
    "Jeff does mention it in the video review. "

I usually skip those, but it's good to know he didn't omit it.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

Cool with me, I don't mind them cutting down on used game sales, though it's gonna be weird down the road when you can't buy these games in stores anymore.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ulong
    @TooWalrus:

By the time you can't buy a new copy of MK, there probably won't be people playing online anymore anyway.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#6  Edited By sammo21
    @YoungFrey:  He mentioned it in the video review, but really its nothing that effects the score either...So you get MP and full game for retail or you buy it used for $55.99 from Gamestop and then have to pay $9.99 for the online pass.  What sounds better?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I don't get it, I want to rent it for now because it's too expensive in canada. Then when the price goes down, i'll buy it later for cheaper. Will this console drm thing affect me? I don't understand?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By toowalrus
    @Ulong Dude, My roommate found people playing the first Lost Planet a few weeks ago.
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Marcsman

Going after the used game market clearly.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By august
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " I don't get it, I want to rent it for now because it's too expensive in canada. Then when the price goes down, i'll buy it later for cheaper. Will this console drm thing affect me? I don't understand? "
    If you rent it you get to play online for two days.

If you buy it used you have to pay ten dollars to play online.

If you buy it new you're fine.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Barrock

You can get a 48 hour pass as well.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @august: how do they know if I rented it or bought it? Is there some cd key or something within the box like pc games now? Is it saved to my psn account? If I found the code or something and use it, I can't use the code for the new copy of the game I bought and didn't rent?
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By august
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @august: how do they know if I rented it or bought it? Is there some cd key or something within the box like pc games now? "
    Yep. There's a key for the online pass.
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By YoungFrey
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "I don't get it, I want to rent it for now because it's too expensive in canada. Then when the price goes down, i'll buy it later for cheaper. Will this console drm thing affect me? I don't understand? "

You will be able to play online for one 48 hour period.  So when you rent, you can play for 2 days.  But if you buy it used later, you will have to pay $10 (at least that is the US price) to play online again.  I imagine that you could chain create PSN accounts if you didn't care about stats or friends or anything.  But then they might only give each PS3 one trial.  My advice is the the Amazon new price, if you get free shipping (in the US you would since MK will be over $25 for a good while), it's almost always cheaper than used prices because of sales tax (to say nothing of the gas required to drive to the store). 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @august: is it on the instruction booklet? Or is it inside the box? If it's printed in the instruction booklet, they let me use that for the rental, but of course they won't give you a box. Or is it on another piece of paper inside the box?

If I use this code once, if I can even find it for the rental version, then no one else can play onlilne for the rental except me? Also if I bought a real copy later on, I suppose I can't use the code anymore for the new copy?

Honestly consoles shouldn't try to use drm like pc games.
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By YoungFrey
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "@august: how do they know if I rented it or bought it? Is there some cd key or something within the box like pc games now? Is it saved to my psn account? If I found the code or something and use it, I can't use the code for the new copy of the game I bought and didn't rent? "

They don't know you rented it, but  the game has a menu option for the trial.  That would be tied to your account.  New copies also come with a code that would be tied to your account.  the console it is used on should be irrelevant in all cases, just which account is used. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @YoungFrey: yeah, i'm canadian, so it's $69 everywhere for it, so I have no options except to spend that much money on a game that I don't think it's worth that much. Where is the cd key for online located? On the box? instruction booklet? on a seperate piece of paper?

Edit: I just read the above post, you said something about the menu or something.

Such a draconian drm, I mean I thought installation limits were terrible on the pc. This is worst, might just buy a new copy months afterwards. It's like windows only installs on one mobo or something, I still don't fully understand it and I don't want to use the trial online pass for two days. Might have to pay full price for this game. Or they simply lost a customer over this drm.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@HitmanAgent47 said:

" @august: is it on the instruction booklet? Or is it inside the box? If it's printed in the instruction booklet, they let me use that for the rental, but of course they won't give you a box. Or is it on another piece of paper inside the box? If I use this code once, if I can even find it for the rental version, then no one else can play onlilne for the rental except me? Also if I bought a real copy later on, I suppose I can't use the code anymore for the new copy? Honestly consoles shouldn't try to use drm like pc games. "

I don't know for MK specifically, but it's usually a card insert with the code on it alongside the instruction manual. You type in the code and your PSN or 360 account is given full access to the online portions of the game, and sometimes with a couple of other bonuses. If you'll be renting from a brick & mortar store that leaves the empty game boxes on shelves, sometimes you might be able to find the code in there if you're lucky enough ;)

The code basically downloads a small piece of DLC to your machine, that's treated like an add-on, so you can always re-download it later from that account. Spending the $10 on the store gives you that same piece of DLC. It's not tied to the disc itself at all, so if you find the code with your rental, you can buy it used later on and still have full access, whether that copy has a code or not.

Edit: It's not so much DRM as it is to combat used games sales and rentals. I think $10 might be a bit much, but I do agree that they should receive something if people are going to be using their online servers. However, if you're not interested in playing online, the game works perfectly fine without the Online Pass. It's only for people who want to go online with it and don't have a new copy. It's pretty much insurance that anyone playing their game online has paid them some sort of money.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @animathias: they probally only let you use the instruction booklet for the rental so they will throw away that piece of paper. They usually throw everything else into the trash and give you a rental box with the disk and instruction booklet at best. They don't have actual boxes on the shelf, just some plastic box with a printed out picture on it of the game box or something. Maybe rental is not the best option, the price is sort of high for the canadian version, i'm not paying that much for a game, especially a game I consider a rental at best. I might have to wait a few months until the price is back to $59 like all the other games I buy. During the first few days, it's always at that price here at certain stores, then it goes up to $69 after that.

It's like they are raising the price so we consider buying their extra collectors edition instead to fund the company from going bankrupt or something.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@HitmanAgent47:

Ah, yeah. It was a shot in the dark, but the place I used to go to before they closed down just took the manual out, then put the game box on the shelf with the locked up plastic case in front of it. I snagged a Lego: Rock Band code for my used copy from there (though they never fixed that import, so that didn't do me a lot of good.)

I think a rental might be the best thing for you. Just remember that this only affects the online portions, everything else is unchanged. If you really want to play online after using the 2 day trial, then you should grab a new version, or wait until the used copy is about $20 cheaper and get the $10 Online Pass. If you're lucky and do end up with a code with your rental version, then you'll be set if you ever want to buy it in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.