Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Story Mode (Spoilers!)

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Bestostero

I have not seen a story mode for any other fighting game as good, as challenging, as in depth as this.  Stunning.

The story mode runs 16 chapters detailing events from MK1-MK3 through certain character's perspectives.  But things get altered a bit because Raiden from the past is receiving visions from Raiden of the future to try and prevent Armageddon from happening.  It explains so much, how Kabal becomes scarred, how Jax gets his cybernetic arms, how the Lin Kuei become cyborgs...it also details the events that Raiden tries to alter, but because of his actions of changing the past, he also changes the future...in preventing Smoke from becoming a cyborg, he fails to prevent Sub Zero from becoming a Cyborg....its so good, easily the best mode of the game for me.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JazGalaxy

so you're forced to play as all the different characters in one long story? Or you play through ladders like most other games?

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By DarkTravesty
    @JazGalaxy said:
    " so you're forced to play as all the different characters in one long story? Or you play through ladders like most other games? "
    its basically mkvdc's story layout but i guess more awesome.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Yanngc33
    @DarkTravesty
    @JazGalaxy said:
    " so you're forced to play as all the different characters in one long story? Or you play through ladders like most other games? "
    its basically mkvdc's story layout but i guess more awesome.
    Wait, you mean it's more awesome than playing as batman????
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bestostero
    @JazGalaxy:  Yeah its somewhat like MKvsDC, but way better in terms of story and challenge.  If you haven't really paid attention to any of the storylines in Mortal Kombat games, you certainly will with this one.
    Iron_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Iron_Past
    @JazGalaxy: Both
    Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By Stealthmaster86

How long was it? I'm debating on what mode to start with.
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By FLStyle
    @xhavoc86 said:
    " I have not seen a story mode for any other fighting game as good, as challenging, as in depth as this.  Stunning.

The story mode runs 16 chapters detailing events from MK1-MK3 through certain character's perspectives.  But things get altered a bit because Raiden from the past is receiving visions from Raiden of the future to try and prevent Armageddon from happening.  It explains so much, how Kabal becomes scarred, how Jax gets his cybernetic arms, how the Lin Kuei become cyborgs...it also details the events that Raiden tries to alter, but because of his actions of changing the past, he also changes the future...in preventing Smoke from becoming a cyborg, he fails to prevent Sub Zero from becoming a Cyborg....its so good, easily the best mode of the game for me. "
    So Cyber Sub-Zero is going to replace all the story about Sub-Zero becoming unmasked, defeating Sektor and Cyrax with Cyber Smoke, taking on Scorpion before Quan Chi reveals he killed off the Shirai-Ryu, becoming Lin Kuei Grandmaster and finding his cryomancer heritage and armour? That's heavy. I wonder what Smoke will do about that.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bestostero
    @Stealthmaster86:  Depends on how good you are, but you can pretty much defeat it in a day if you had the time...not to discourage anyone by saying that, but really, its awesome.  16 chapters, each chapter you play as a character and you have like 3-5 fights per chapter.

@FLStyle: Not sure where they're going with the storyline, but yeah, that was a huge change, also at the end Shinnok appears :)
    Marauder3381

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Marauder3381

So is it older or younger brother Sub-zero who is turned into a cyborg? And is a normal ninja younger Sub-zero in the game at all? Like an alternate costume or something at least?

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Pibo47
    @xhavoc86: Question, any mention of Rain? I would loooove to play as Rain haha. Maybe DLC or something...but still.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @Marauder3381 said:
    " So is it older or younger brother Sub-zero who is turned into a cyborg? And is a normal ninja younger Sub-zero in the game at all? Like an alternate costume or something at least? "
    I'm totally confused.  So if this is older Sub-Zero that gets turned into a cyborg, then what about Noob Saibot?  And if it's the younger one, then...whoa.  Okay.

But I thought they said that Cyborg Sub-Zero was just a one-off non-canon character?  What?
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thehexeditor

If you overlook the biggest plot hole of all time that requires a childlike sense of suspension of disbelief, which is the question "Why don't you FINISH HIM/HER?!" the story is built quite well. The way it sets up for a sequel could have  been done way worse than how they handled it; I'm not complaining. I mean you should have gone into it knowing the whole thing sets up for a sequel.. What is Netherrealm's next game going to be- Shaolin Monks II? Nope.

I found it hilarious that

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Slaker117
    @Hailinel: Huge story spoilers.
    Noob is still the old Sub-Zero and his younger brother is the one generally referred to as "Sub-Zero" throughout the game, but yeah. That stuff happens.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bestostero
    @Hailinel:  No no, Older Sub Zero is still Noob Saibot, the Young Sub Zero gets turned into a Cyborg.  I doubt it, NRS never mentioned Cyber Sub Zero and have been very hush hush about a lot of the characters, they probably never mentioned him or whether he was canon or not.

But if he's not canon, i would be mad, cause why the heck do you have a story mode that is not canon??? and then i would be happy because i think cyber sub zero sucks, sektor and cyrax are the only robots in MK we need lol

@thehexeditor: Johnny Cage deserves to be a survivor, he's died in almost everything, its about time he lives lol
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By FLStyle
    @xhavoc86 said:
    " @Hailinel:  No no, Older Sub Zero is still Noob Saibot, the Young Sub Zero gets turned into a Cyborg.  I doubt it, NRS never mentioned Cyber Sub Zero and have been very hush hush about a lot of the characters, they probably never mentioned him or whether he was canon or not.

But if he's not canon, i would be mad, cause why the heck do you have a story mode that is not canon??? and then i would be happy because i think cyber sub zero sucks, sektor and cyrax are the only robots in MK we need lol

@thehexeditor: Johnny Cage deserves to be a survivor, he's died in almost everything, its about time he lives lol "
    They could always replace Cyrax's MK4 ending with Sub-Zero in the sequel and get his humanity back that way.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bestostero
    @FLStyle:  Oh good point, and you're probably right!!!  Shinnok appeared at the end of this, so I'm sure the next game will cover MK4 perhaps and Cyber Sub Zero will be back to normal Sub Zero! :)

@Pibo47:  No, unfortunately no Rain mention anywhere...or at least i didn't catch it, which i find shocking...Motaro is mentioned and seen, but nothing from Rain.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pibo47

Damn. Well ill harass ed boon's twitter for moar rain. XD

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bestostero
    @Pibo47:  Everyone will have to!  I know i will harass him for Rain and Tanya...possibly Reiko too :)
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bestostero

Someone uploaded all the good stuff from Story Mode!

Check out their youtube now before their account is suspended :)

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Stealthmaster86

In the demo I always went to options to have 3 rounds to win and no timer. Could that still be the option for story mode?
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Okay.  So...

My prediction is that Outworld and Earthrealm are going to have to team up in the next game to face down Shinnok.  There just aren't enough fighters left otherwise.
    TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By TJ311

you've played the game? how did u get it?

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shirogane
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    "

Okay.  So...
    My prediction is that Outworld and Earthrealm are going to have to team up in the next game to face down Shinnok.  There just aren't enough fighters left otherwise.

"

Wow really? Those characters? Holy...that's like 90% of the most central charactesr right there.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bestostero
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " Okay.  So...
    My prediction is that Outworld and Earthrealm are going to have to team up in the next game to face down Shinnok.  There just aren't enough fighters left otherwise. "
    Good idea, probably changing more events and now the "Deadly Alliance" will be between Earth and Outworld instead of Shang Tsung and Quan Chi lol ... those who are dead can be replaced with Fujin, Bo Rai Cho, Kai, Li Mei, etc etc...

I'm just glad Johnny Cage didn't die, he usually always die, so thats a nice change, I'm looking forward for how the story turns out, it was very well done i thought for this game :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.