Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

This game IS a vast improvement! (and speculations on future DLC)

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By EvilDingo

Earlier today I spent some time with Armageddon and Deception... and oh boy... it hard to quite understand HOW they went from something like Armageddon to the current MK. The controls are so ridiculously STIFF - and it's not really helped by the weapon-switching system. Some fast moves (like Jade's shadowkick) were slow as hell... 

My main reason for replaying those games was mostly to get an idea of what the deal with Tanya is since some people seem to favor her for the next DLC (I've completely overlooked her... along with a lot of other "3D-era-newcomers"). 

She has a projectile, a "slide", a forward somersault-kick and invisibility.  So to me she seems rather bland ... but granted - so do many characters actually in these previous games. Rain also have some bland moves (teleport, water beam, water-propelled kick, lightning), while it's apparent from his MK9-trailer that he has a unique set of moves in the new game. 

Which brings me to another thing I want to give MK9 credit for... It does an excellent job at making each character feel unique... even characters that previously were rehashes of other characters. Smoke have always been some sort of mix of other characters (both as ninja and robot). In MK9 there no-one that handles similarly to him... Neither is Kenshi really anything like Ermac - or Skarlet like the other female ninjas. 

I guess what my conclusion is that IF the next DLC character is Tanya - I've become confident that they'll do something to her move-set that sets her apart from the others characters.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kingzetta

why Tanya?

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Gabriel

@kingzetta said:

why Tanya?

She works for Shinokk.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingzetta
    @Gabriel said:

@kingzetta said:

why Tanya?

She works for Shinokk.

why not just shinokk then?
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Gabriel

@kingzetta said:

@Gabriel said:

@kingzetta said:

why Tanya?

She works for Shinokk.

why not just shinokk then?

Because he is the villain in the next game.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilDingo
    @kingzetta:  
    Personally I'm not hoping one way or the other (as I mentioned I don't find her particularly interesting), but people arguing that it's her because she shows up in the colosseum, and thus the model is already in the game.

But it could be anyone... I was just unable to recall anything about her move-set when people mentioned her, which explains my venture into the older games. 

At this writing I realize that I should probably also have looked into Shinokk, Havik and Mavado too... but maybe I'm not that curious... 
    I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The fact her model shows up in the game is a completely moot point, as several other characters all also appear and all just use their models from Armageddon (including Kenshi, who got a complete redesign when he was added i.e. doesn't use the model that was already in the game!). She's also not a very interesting character.. it would seem very odd to keep her for last and keep her as a big mystery character. I could see it being someone from MK4 to foreshadow a sequel.. but just about anyone from that game would be a better choice. Fujin would be an infinitely better choice.

But after Boon hinted on boss characters, I think there's a very good chance it'll be Motaro to finish off the original trilogy cast.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It really is. It's the best MK game ever made. At first, I was worried when it was revealed that every character from MK1-MK3 would be coming back. To be honest, even back then, I don't think all of the characters were quite up to par. You know, like Stryker for instance (sorry Jeff). But yeah, in this MK, they did such a wonderful job giving the characters personality and uniqueness that I find myself loving every single character in the game. 

I was discussing the next MK game with a good MK buddy of mine, and I don't think it's too unreasonable to think that the next game will be a trilogy of MK4-MKD. Considering many of the characters in this new MK

I wondered if it was possible for them to actually make the new game without bringing back so many classic characters. So I counted all the new MK characters that came out after MK3, and with just those characters alone, the list goes up to about 28 or so, which is actually a whole lot. MK9 had 30 characters (not counting DLC), so I think the follow-up will probably be around the same ballpark, but a little more. It would be daring for them to only bring back a handful of the classic characters, but the truth is, not many of them have much impact in the story after MK3 and were just brought back to please fans. The problem with all the new characters from MK4 and on is that they were never given the treatment they deserve. Most of them were just put out there one time and then abandoned. If they were to give those new characters the wonderful attention they gave to MK9's characters, I think they can still manage to keep everyone happy without needing to bring back so many of the original fighters.
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By TechHits
    @EvilDingo said:
    I should probably also have looked into Shinokk, Havik and Mavado too... but maybe I'm not that curious... I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
    are they announcing the new character tomorrow?
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Bestostero
    @TechHits said:
    @EvilDingo said:
    I should probably also have looked into Shinokk, Havik and Mavado too... but maybe I'm not that curious... I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
    I haven't heard anything about them announcing the fourth character, but I did hear that the Klassic costumes trailer should be out this week, maybe they will tack it on there as well?
    EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EvilDingo
    @TechHits said:

@EvilDingo said:

oh yeah... I didn't realize you could read it that way. 

I meant to say:  
    "I guess I'll find find out tomorrow whether I am curious enough to look into those characters. Right now it is time for bed." 

... or something along those lines :-)
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By ShaggE

I've always seen Armageddon as a guilty pleasure, but after MK9, it's almost unplayable. 

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EvilDingo
    @ShaggE said:
    I've always seen Armageddon as a guilty pleasure, but after MK9, it's almost unplayable. 
    The you should try playing Deception now... That game has even more sluggish controls IMO.
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ShaggE

Thankfully I no longer have my Deception disc, so I can remember that game as being fun. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.